• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonRJA

Oct 29, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    My only regrets were buying a Smith & Wesson 642 and a Ruger LCP... only because I bought them with the intention of CCW in Ohio before moving to Maryland less than a year later. Ended up giving the 642 to my brother back in Ohio who is a CCW holder.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    2 regerts.

Selling, actually trading, my hr topper 20g dad bought me as a first gun. I was about 10 or so. Traded it with another 12yo kid for a mossberg bolt 12g, on a street corner. Talk about how times changed.

Buying a Beretta px4 sc. An ok gun but just an impulse buy. I haven't sold/ traded a gun since that mossy bolt went out a few years after I traded for it. the Beretta will probably never leave.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I just had a purchase regert over the weekend. I've been configuring one of my Mossberg 500's to go groundhog hunting with me. I stumbled onto a Midway sale for a 20" vent rib barrel, with chokes. That part is not the regert at all...it keeps the shotgun short and handy, almost like the 18.5 inch, with the hope of extending the range a little with the choke.

I figured it had been a long time since I did any tacticoolification of a shotgun, and I thought it would be neat to put this one in Magpul furniture. It looked cool, and, since I figured this shotgun was going to get beat up getting into and out of vehicles and seeing more real-world use, the synthetic stock would fare better than the original wood. Why not? I deserve something fun, right?:innocent0

Well, I put the buttstock on yesterday morning. My first complaint is that the pistol grip is a little small for my hand. It's not entirely uncomfortable, but it just doesn't feel natural. I noticed that it doesn't drop as much as the stock stock, and I have to press my cheek down on the comb to see the beads. Probably if I had rifle sights (which I do not want), it would be OK. Then, I tried to attach my sling. Well, crap! I thought sure I had seen in the picture a loop molded into the bottom of the stock that my Uncle Mike's swivel would clip into. Nope...I guess I remembered that wrong :o. Oh, look! it's got these round holes in either side. That must be for a QD mount. I really wanted the mount on the bottom...but this is what I've got. Well...sort of. It's for a QD mount, but you have to buy the hardware to go inside the hole. :wtf: For the price of the stock, they could have included the damned inserts. So...I had to thread my sling through the loop in the side of the stock (not where I wanted it) and back onto itself (certainly not QD, or even as easily detached as the Uncle Mike's) :rolleye12 I guess I could screw something in the bottom of the stock, but I kinda didn't want to have to go boogering it up right out of the box.

Later that day I test fired it. As my teeth rattled from having my cheek pressed too hard on the comb of the stock, I had an epiphany: All of the faults I found with this Magpul "upgrade" could be rectified in one fell swoop. So, today, I put the original wood stock back on. :sad20:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I just had a purchase regert over the weekend. I've been configuring one of my Mossberg 500's to go groundhog hunting with me. I stumbled onto a Midway sale for a 20" vent rib barrel, with chokes. That part is not the regert at all...it keeps the shotgun short and handy, almost like the 18.5 inch, with the hope of extending the range a little with the choke.

I figured it had been a long time since I did any tacticoolification of a shotgun, and I thought it would be neat to put this one in Magpul furniture. It looked cool, and, since I figured this shotgun was going to get beat up getting into and out of vehicles and seeing more real-world use, the synthetic stock would fare better than the original wood. Why not? I deserve something fun, right?:innocent0

Well, I put the buttstock on yesterday morning. My first complaint is that the pistol grip is a little small for my hand. It's not entirely uncomfortable, but it just doesn't feel natural. I noticed that it doesn't drop as much as the stock stock, and I have to press my cheek down on the comb to see the beads. Probably if I had rifle sights (which I do not want), it would be OK. Then, I tried to attach my sling. Well, crap! I thought sure I had seen in the picture a loop molded into the bottom of the stock that my Uncle Mike's swivel would clip into. Nope...I guess I remembered that wrong :o. Oh, look! it's got these round holes in either side. That must be for a QD mount. I really wanted the mount on the bottom...but this is what I've got. Well...sort of. It's for a QD mount, but you have to buy the hardware to go inside the hole. :wtf: For the price of the stock, they could have included the damned inserts. So...I had to thread my sling through the loop in the side of the stock (not where I wanted it) and back onto itself (certainly not QD, or even as easily detached as the Uncle Mike's) :rolleye12 I guess I could screw something in the bottom of the stock, but I kinda didn't want to have to go boogering it up right out of the box.

Later that day I test fired it. As my teeth rattled from having my cheek pressed too hard on the comb of the stock, I had an epiphany: All of the faults I found with this Magpul "upgrade" could be rectified in one fell swoop. So, today, I put the original wood stock back on. :sad20:

Good thing you did not tell anyone about the short comings of that stock. So you should get a good price in the MDS classifieds.:innocent0

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Sort of a mixed bag....My first firearm, ever, was a Glock 37...yes, the .45 GAP full size. I paid $500 for a G37 with under 200 rounds through it, 5 magazines, and a GTL-21 Laser / Light combo (why are Glock's Laser lights such garbage?).

I WILL say that I love that gun and round, though partly because it was my first. The regret came when I went to virtually every gun / SG store in Maryland and no one carried .45 GAP, nor could I find ANYONE that carries a threaded barrel for it. In fact, I even reached out to a number of custom shops and not one - not even LoneWolf - could assist in obtaining / threading a .45 GAP fullsize barrel.

My only other regret from early on is that when I bought my first Mosin at a gun show in Annapolis, I didn't buy two more in the next two months before they unreasonably went up over $200 for a halfway decent model. I am so sad that Mosin's are so much more expensive now than they were in 2011-2012. One of my favorite old-school bolt action rifles and if they were less than $250 these days I'd pick up another one or two in a heartbeat.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Magpul sells risers for that stock. Obviously not ideal to have to buy something else, but it is an available solution.

https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-sga-low-cheek-riser-kit

https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-sga-high-cheek-riser-kit

I saw that, but am not sure which came with it. I don't really want to put any more money into the lost cause anyway, and boy it would suck to buy the low riser...and find out it already came with the low riser:mad54:

Good thing you did not tell anyone about the short comings of that stock. So you should get a good price in the MDS classifieds.:innocent0
    ;) I thought about that...but I got it on sale, and it's Magpul (still even has the sticker still in the box). I'm pretty sure I could get my money out of it from some kid who could tell a great story about, "yeah, I got this cheap from some Fudd who didn't even know how to operate."

But...I don't really sell things. For now, it went on the pile of "stuff that someday I'll modify to work the way I want it to when I get the chance." Next, it'll be the executor of my estate's problem:o

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    But...I don't really sell things. For now, it went on the pile of "stuff that someday I'll modify to work the way I want it to when I get the chance." Next, it'll be the executor of my estate's problem:o

Hang an insanely high price tag on it (like what it supposedly cost) to drive the executors nuts.:D

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Regret: buying a Taurus TCP 738. That thing jammed every other round. I did trade it in when I bought its replacement though. A Ruger LCP II. The Ruger shoots everything and has never had any failures to feed or eject. The other regret is not buying an AK47 when I had the chance. That's about it. I do have guns I don't shoot anymore but I don't regret having bought them.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've bought a few that I wish I hadn't. (S&W M61, POS .22; S&W M59, bad ergos for me).

I've sold a few that I wish I hadn't. (S&W M17, .22 target; S&W M43, airweight .22 kit gun).

I didn't buy a Browning Hi Power in DC in 1971, even though the paperwork went through. It was like $112. (I was pretty sure that my wife would have used it on me at the time.)

Since then, I have acquired a Hi Power, and another S&W 43. So I feel better.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I've bought a few milsurps on a whim which I lost interest in quickly. Have a nice PtG mosin leaning in the safe that I bought then instantly went meh on

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Being talked out of buying milsups

Back in say, 1988 being talked out of buying milsup rifles at Roses in Pokomoke City. *sigh*

Some day...

noddaz

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Regrets:
    1. Buying: Rem 870 with 28" barrel and wood furniture. Kicked too hard, too long for HD, didn't take extensions without modification, etc. I sold it and eventually bought a new 870 that was more to my liking, so not a total loss.
    2. Buying: Sub-2k Gen1. I know some people love these, but I hated the ergos and its inability to fold with an optic. Sold it to buy a pre-ban Uzi, which I don't shoot much, but enjoy much more.
    3. Buying: Troy MCS M1A chassis. It's not horrible as a chassis, but it makes the gun way too damn heavy for what it is. (Albeit you could argue that's a valid critique of the M1A platform as a whole...)
    4. Buying: cheap AIM Sports red dot. I don't think it even had click adjustments. Threw it in the trash.
    5. Not Buying: IDF-surplus SP-66 sniper rifle with Nimrod scope. Engage was selling one like ten years ago for a very reasonable price, and I should have bought it when I had the chance, even though it was expensive. Smoothest, tightest action I've ever felt. I have similar feelings about not grabbing one of the IDF-surplus M1As before the ban, too.
    6. Buying: 5.45x39 platforms. Like, there is part of me that thinks that I'll be reversing my position on this when the next ammo supply scare rolls around, but the 7N6 ban really sucked for these. No point in shooting it when steel-cased 5.56x45 is as cheap as it is. (Maybe I need to hunt up that unicorn which is an MGI Hydra lower with AK-74 magazine well.)

There have been a bunch of other guns I've sold because they became superfluous to my needs or collection, but I'm not sure I'd consider them regrets. Like... I got a lot of use out of my Sig 226R DAK before I sold it, but I just wanted to standardize on CZ-alikes for my hammer-fired guns (not a mistake, IMHO).

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I have generally only regretted one purchase, but it was a low dollar purchase. It was a Rossi 308/12 gauge single shot combo. Seemed great in theory for deer if I started to hunt in a shotgun county and still had the rifle flexibility but I ended up just scoping a Mossberg 500 and buying a 308 and 30-06 for the rifle county the hunt club I joined is located. I plan on selling it and it is the only gun I have ever wanted to sell.

I do regret not buying more C&R purchases like Mosins when they were under $100. I know they were cheaper before that but that's about where they were when I picked up the hobby.

sinensis

Sep 4, 2018
    Columbia, MD
    I think my only regrets so far is not starting this hobby sooner, and when I built my rifle, not being to plink away for cheap (literally will be setting wallet on fire every time I go to the range!) :)

Attachments

• 458_resized.jpg
      458_resized.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 239

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    A Whitworth Express in .375 H&H mag. I bought it when I graduated from college as a promise to myself I'd take it to Africa and Alaska to hunt. Got married, started having kids, never went to either place. Sold it. Regrets ... because it represented a path not taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom