• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    Just got this from Delegate Donna Stifler. Glad she's on our side.

Sent: 3/2/2013 9:15:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
    Subj: Legislative Wrapup

Dear Constituent of 35 A:

My doctors have given me the go-ahead to return to Annapolis on March 12th. I can't tell you how ready I am to be there. But if the Gun Bill passes out of the committees and reaches the House floor before then, I will defy my doctors and head to Annapolis early. I have heard from more of you on this bill than any other since I got elected, and I just cannot let my fibromyalgia keep me from being your voice. The overwhelming majority of you have asked me to oppose this bill and that is what I will be doing.

Here is the link to the Legislative Wrap-up for last week: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/pubs-current/current-legislative-wrap-up.pdf

Delegate Donna Stifler

Harford County

District 35 A

:party29::party29::party29:

jettoblack

Jan 23, 2013
    I recently received a response from Delegate Sam Arora (D-19) which indicates he is willing to "improve" HB294.

Thanks -- and if you have specific thouhgts about ways to improve the bill pls dont hesitate to shoot them over. We may or may not agree on final passage, but I feel an obligation to work to improve this bill. Sam

I sure hope by "improve" he means towards being more 2A friendly rather than making it more anti!

I read in the real-time March 5th rally thread today that he was asking tough questions about the bills, so I think it's worth putting some strong but supportive pressure on him to do the right thing.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    from Anne Kaiser in response to me saying you cannot ignore the 1300 to 30 turnout on March 1st...

Delegate Kaiser said:
    John-

Hi. I'm not sure why there is any reason to doubt the 85% figure. Thousands of people testifying does not necessarily speak to what the majority wants. I reject the idea of mob rule -- responding to those who scream the loudest -- and I'm sure you do as well. It goes against everything this country stands for.

In regards to the "silent majority", I heard often last year that the silent majority would overturn the legislature's actions on marriage equality and in-state tuition. Those espousing that view could not have been more incorrect.

-Anne

They don't care, they really do not give a ****. They know whats best for us.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    This one is clear as mud although reading between the lines, "She ain't on our side". :mad54:

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion on this session’s gun legislation. I know your time is valuable and your views are very important to me. I consider carefully all of the information available as I review bills for deliberation and voting.

This year, 79 bills related to guns have been submitted by the House and Senate combined. Most are still in discussion within the Judiciary and Judicial Proceeding Committee respectfully with upcoming public hearing dates throughout March.

Current updates on the status of any of the legislation as well as hearing dates scheduled are available on the Maryland General Assembly website: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov. Our new website has user friendly features to provide immediate information for our constituents under the home page heading “Active Topics.”

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to communicate your views on this legislation. If I can be of assistance to you in any other way, please contact my office.

Delegate Adrienne A. Jones
    Speaker Pro Tem
    Legislative District 10
    Room 312
    6 Bladen Street
    Annapolis, Maryland 21401

krztov

Jan 4, 2012
    Silver Spring
    just got this from Van Hollen:

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts on the national debate we are having in the wake of the mass shootings that have recently occurred throughout the country, including the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you.

Let me make a few points very clear. I appreciate and respect the rights of responsible adults to own guns. I support the Second Amendment and oppose any effort to deny law-abiding individuals the ability to own firearms.

There is no set of laws we can pass that can end all gun violence. There are, however, practical, common sense measures we can take to reduce mass killings and lower the death toll. These measures should include improving our mental health system, strengthening security at schools and other sites, and some common sense gun safety measures.

With respect to gun safety laws, I support measures to ensure that guns do not fall into the hands of criminals and individuals that have been found to be mentally unstable. Therefore, I do support measures to ensure that we have universal background checks. We also need to strengthen measures to prevent illegal gun trafficking and straw purchases. We should not make it easy for criminals to evade the criminal background checks by getting others to buy guns for them.

I also believe we need to adopt other common sense measures like limiting the magazine capacity to 10 rounds. Law enforcement officials have identified this strategy as the most effective way to limit the carnage during these horrific mass shootings, and they have also made clear that this limitation would not affect Americans' abilities to defend their families and property. As you may know, during the massacre in 2011 in Tucson, Arizona that killed 6 people and wounded 13 others, Jared Lee Loughner was finally stopped after emptying his 33-round high-capacity magazine by nearby heroes who restrained him while he was attempting to reload another magazine. The perpetrators of the Aurora and Newtown massacres used similarly large (or larger) magazines as well. This measure can help reduce the carnage of these horrific massacres.

Universal background checks, laws to prevent illegal gun trafficking, and a limit on the size of magazines are among the common sense steps we can take to prevent guns from falling into dangerous hands and to reduce the death toll. These measures should be part of a comprehensive strategy that also strengthens the mental health system and increases security in our schools and other places.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your views with me. Please do not hesitate to let me know whenever I may be of service.

Sincerely,
    Chris Van Hollen
    Member of Congress

P.S. Please visit my website at www.house.gov/vanhollen . While there, you can sign up for my e-mail newsletter, view press releases and statements, see what legislation I have sponsored or co-sponsored and receive information on the various constituent services provided by my office.

My response:

I appreciate your response on this matter and while I do agree with a lot of what you have mentioned, there are some key points I do not agree with at all.

You say that limiting magazine capacity to 10 rounds would not affect the abilities to defend families and their property, then does this mean you are also limiting law enforcement to this amount? If there were more than 1 person with ill intent in my home, 10 rounds may not be enough, the criminals surely wont follow this, so say they all had a STANDARD capacity magazine, which for a Glock, one of the most common handguns, is 17 rounds, if I am limited to 10 rounds, I'm already at a disadvantage. If there were 2 attackers, then I'm already disadvantaged by 14 rounds, and so on.

You mention the mass shooters, but they are the minority here, there are millions of responsible gun owners out there, such as myself, that will be deemed criminals with any magazine bans/limits. You mentioned the Colorado shooter, but even CNN mentioned that he stopped because the gun JAMMED, higher capacity magazines sometimes are much more unreliable.

Source:*http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/us/colorado-shooting-investigation

No one stopped Newtown regardless of capacity because there was no one in a "Gun Free Zone" to stop him.

My issue here is that the only people that will be effected by this are the law abiding citizens of the nation, I have never been arrested, I have only had one speeding ticket in my life, but with this bill, something I own and use for sport or target shooting will become banned.

Will the criminals that stepped into gun free zones with no regard, committed murder with no hesitance, really care about one more law/ban?*

I ask that you and your colleagues please rethink this portion of what is proposed because the rights of the many should not be infringed due to the inconceivable actions of the few.*

Thank you for your time,
    Krztov

HondoMD

Mar 8, 2011
    From Delegate McDermont...

Dear Fellow Citizen and Patriot,

Thank you for your input. For the record, I will be voting against HB294/SB281 and any other bill which limits your Second Amendment rights. The easiest political solution in response to the murderous rampage in Connecticut would be to point the finger at something...anything...and ban it to the abyss. We could then pronounce our children to be “safe” and accept the kudos for our “success”. Politics as usual.

We have thousands of gun laws obeyed by our good citizens while ignored by criminals. Most of our mass shootings have been perpetrated by those suffering from mental illness who were not armed with “assault rifles”. The massacre at Virginia Tech involved a handgun and resulted in significantly more victims.

In order to solve the problem, let’s begin by confessing that we cannot stop it from happening again. We cannot fix all the sick, broken people determined to do others and themselves harm.

However, we can harden the target and limit our vulnerabilities if we become aggressive in our response to potential threats. There are school districts in our country which have adopted a proactive approach to security threats. Within their schools are certain staffers (known only to the administration) who carry concealed firearms. These trained individuals are designated as “Guardians” and they represent a vigilant line of defense for those we must protect. Like Sky Marshals, School Guardians remain behind the scenes unknown to all, but prepared nonetheless.

We can opt to provide less lethal technology, such as Tasers, to select staff within our schools. While their effective range is limited, they could provide a line of defense for those who currently have nothing at their disposal. This would require minimal expense and training and could be in place within a matter of weeks.

How I wish one or more of the staff at Sandy Hook Elementary had been a “Guardian” or equipped with a Taser. How differently might the outcome have been.

We must change the way that we view mental health issues and options in our country. We closed the doors on institutions during the 1980’s only to provide no alternatives. The results surround us and it is politically incorrect to even discuss the issues. If we see conduct or actions that place our society at an undue risk, the liberty of those individuals should be in jeopardy. We recognize this when it comes to passenger aircraft, and it is time we recognized it outside of the airports as well.

Preparing our children to take their place in civil society is the responsibility of parents.There are some who advocate taking certain guns from responsible citizens while simultaneously letting junior play the most hellish video games available night and day. What’s wrong with that picture? Training a child is the toughest, most important job if we are to preserve a civil society for the coming generation. In this, we must hold each other accountable. We must stop subsidizing and making excuses for antisocial behavior.

I have introduced legislation this session that, if passed, will:

Authorize a Maryland School District to implement a “Guardian” program - HB 395
    Authorize a Maryland School District to issue Electronic Control Devices to select personnel within a school - HB 394
    Authorize persons with Conceal-Carry Permits, along with Active or Retired Law Enforcement Officers (who are certified to possess firearms), to carry a concealed firearm on the campus of a public school - HB 397

It was Benjamin Franklin who proclaimed, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Let us be a people who truly understand how to provide safety while maintaining our liberty.

Godspeed,
    Mike McDermott, Delegate
    Worcester and Wicomico Counties

Biohazard2m

Apr 12, 2012
    Matt,

Thank you for your e-mail message regarding the Governor’s gun legislation.

I appreciate your taking the time to write to express you opposition.* I especially appreciate your thorough discussion of the legislation and your position.

While I commend the Senate for adding the provision dealing with mental health to SB 281, I cannot support the legislation as passed by the Senate and currently being considered by the House Judiciary Committee.

As a life-long educator, the senseless deaths at Sandy Hook Elementary School have impacted me greatly.* All the experiences I had as a building principal, from tragic vehicle accidents, to deaths of students in the community and deaths of co-workers, pale at the horrific and unbelievable deaths of 20 children and 6 school personnel.* The events at Sand Hook and in other communities requires us as a nation, as communities and as families to do everything we can to protect our citizens.* I just do not believe SB281 or HB 294 will achieve that goal.

My decision was not based on the rhetoric of some politicians or threats and statements made by opponents and supporters of the bill, it was made after many discussions with federal, state and municipal law enforcement officers who have made it clear to me that the legislation before us will not make Maryland a safer state nor protect our children from horrific events.* I have also read every e-mail and phone message that I have received in support of and in opposition to the proposed legislation.* While many communications have been form letters, many people have taken the time to express their views in a clear and, at times, emotional basis.* To those citizens I say thank you.

I work hard every day to provide every citizen of Cecil County the type of legislative leadership they deserve.* I do not represent you with political rhetoric but with, I hope you agree, integrity.

In closing, I want to again thank you for your email.*

Sincerely,

David

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Matt,

Thank you for your e-mail message regarding the Governor’s gun legislation.

I appreciate your taking the time to write to express you opposition.* I especially appreciate your thorough discussion of the legislation and your position.

While I commend the Senate for adding the provision dealing with mental health to SB 281, I cannot support the legislation as passed by the Senate and currently being considered by the House Judiciary Committee.

As a life-long educator, the senseless deaths at Sandy Hook Elementary School have impacted me greatly.* All the experiences I had as a building principal, from tragic vehicle accidents, to deaths of students in the community and deaths of co-workers, pale at the horrific and unbelievable deaths of 20 children and 6 school personnel.* The events at Sand Hook and in other communities requires us as a nation, as communities and as families to do everything we can to protect our citizens.* I just do not believe SB281 or HB 294 will achieve that goal.

My decision was not based on the rhetoric of some politicians or threats and statements made by opponents and supporters of the bill, it was made after many discussions with federal, state and municipal law enforcement officers who have made it clear to me that the legislation before us will not make Maryland a safer state nor protect our children from horrific events.* I have also read every e-mail and phone message that I have received in support of and in opposition to the proposed legislation.* While many communications have been form letters, many people have taken the time to express their views in a clear and, at times, emotional basis.* To those citizens I say thank you.

I work hard every day to provide every citizen of Cecil County the type of legislative leadership they deserve.* I do not represent you with political rhetoric but with, I hope you agree, integrity.

In closing, I want to again thank you for your email.*

Sincerely,

David

Great news, glad to see someone got a response. I certainly haven't.

brighid

Feb 6, 2013
    here
    Thanks for writing in support of our Second Amendments rights. Being a hunter and NRA member for many years, I fully support your efforts to get this bad legislation killed.

The latest bill to be fought in the hearings is HB 1277, a 50% tax on ammo. It is being heard today in the House Ways and Means Committee. For more information, you can go to the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore website www.associatedgunclubs.org They do an excellent job of following gun-related legislation.

Below is the list of senators who voted for and against SB 281, the Governor’s gun bill. I thought you might like to take a moment to thank those who voted Nay, and remind those who voted Yea that we live under a Constitution. Their emails can be accessed through the General Assembly Website: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov Click on the “Legislators” tab for a list, which has a “Contact” arrow for emailing.

Rick Impallaria
    Delegate, District 7 (Baltimore & Harford Counties)
    Rick.Impallaria@house.state.md.us

ROLL CALL VOTE on SB 281 Firearm Safety Act of 2013
    Feb. 28, 2013

Voting Yea - 28
    Mr. President
    Jones-Rodwell
    Peters
    Benson
    Kasemeyer
    Pinsky
    Brochin
    Kelley
    Pugh
    Conway J
    King
    Ramirez
    Currie
    Madaleno
    Raskin
    Ferguson
    Manno
    Robey
    Forehand
    McFadden
    Rosapepe
    Frosh
    Montgomery
    Young
    Garagiola
    Muse
    Zirkin
    Gladden

Voting Nay - 19
    Astle Glassman Middleton
    Brinkley Jacobs Pipkin
    Colburn Jennings Reilly
    DeGrange Kittleman Shank
    Dyson Klausmeier Simonaire
    Edwards Mathias Stone
    Getty

Not Voting - 0
    Excused from Voting - 0
    Excused (Absent) - 0

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Thank you for getting in touch with me again about gun control.

You have obviously given this a great deal of time and thought ‑‑ I've learned from hearing your views. I want to be responsive to the needs of all Marylanders when I make decisions. Information from people like you is essential if I'm to reach that goal.

Again, thanks for keeping in touch with me. Please let me know if I may be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,
    Barbara A. Mikulski
    United States Senator

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Translation: You have sent me more than 1 email that is not aligned with my position. We are crafting legislation right now to make that a felony. We know where you live. We are going to confiscate your guns, knives (including butter!), forks, and any other "assault" <item> we can find! oh, and have a nice day :)

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Just received this back from Del. McComas

Dear Mr. TxAggie:

Thank you for your email regarding the gun control agenda of O'Malley administration. I find your arguments on the 1st and 2nd amendment very interesting. I will not be supporting the Governor's agenda.

Susan McComas - District 35 B Harford County

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:00 AM
    To: McComas, Susan Delegate
    Subject: Please Vote Against Ban Bill

Dear Delegate McComas,

We often hear or recite the mantra that even the First Amendment has restrictions. The obligatory statement is you cannot yell "Fire" in a crowded theater when there is, in fact, no fire. No one says you must surrender your voice at the door. There is no law requiring the use of a word counter, and once those words are used up you must exchange it for a new counter.
    As we have recently seen, words can kill. As evidence by the suicide of Megan Meir, the use of words in bullying caused a young girl to take her own life. It wasn't the internet's fault, nor the computer, or even Facebook. It was due to the deliberate actions of another person.
    The gun control debate we are facing is much the same. There are already ample restrictions placed on the Second Amendment. You cannot walk into a theater and open fire with a gun, that is illegal discharge of a firearm, even if no one is in the theater. There are no laws inflicting extra penalties on a criminal if they use profanity or unsavory language during the commission of a crime, but if they have a gun while doing the same crime, additional charges are added (or at least they are supposed to, most times those charges are dropped in plea bargains.) The point is it comes down to the individual committing the act. Not the words, club, knife, or gun that is used. The proposed legislation does nothing to stop bad people, it simply restricts the rights of good citizens.

brighid

Feb 6, 2013
    here
    From Del. Don Dwyer's Legislative Aide Louisa Baucom

Dear Defenders of the Second Amendment:

Based on our latest information none of the gun bills have been voted in committee yet. However we do expect action on the gun bills very shortly and will keep you updated regarding any action we need on your part. There are currently several action items below.

Action items:

HB 1277 – 50% tax on Ammunition was heard in Ways and Means this week-

1) call the sponsor of the bill, Delegate Jon Cardin 410-841-3833 and strongly urge him to withdraw the bill.
    2) Call the Chairman of Ways and Means Delegate Sheila E. Hixson -410-841-3469 to voice your opposition and urge her to not allow the bill to pass committee.

HB 294

1) Call the Vice Chair of Judiciary Delegate Kathleen Dumais 301-858-3052 and voice your opposition to HB 294
    2) Print the attached UPDATED pamphlet researched and created by MSI ( Maryland Shall Issue) and pass them out to others who need to understand the features of this bill.
    3) Encourage everyone you know to contact their legislative representatives to express their opposition and get a commitment to vote against the gun ban. Need to help someone find their representative? MDELECT.net

When information comes available and we can VERIFY it, we will send an update. As always, if you should have a question, please feel free to call me at 410-841-3047 or send me an email – “ATTN Louisa” in the subject line would be helpful, as we are continuing to get quite a lot of gun related emails daily.

Thanks for all you do for this effort.

Best Regards,
    Louisa Baucom
    Legislative Aide to:

Del. Don Dwyer, Jr.
    Anne Arundel County
    District 31
    410-841-3047
    www.delegatedwyer.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics