• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    Which one do you guys recommend ATN X-Sight 4K or Thor LT and are they worth it? Is there something better?

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Avoid ATN, IMHO. I did a deep dive into the thermal scene back in November, starting with looking at a Thor. Everything I came up with was run as fast as you can from ATN: buggy, crappy box, old tech, using factory second chips, the list goes on. Go on over to lonestarboars.com and look at some of the reviews with Thor (and other ATN models) compares to Armasight, FLIR (now the same thing), Pulsar, etc. I ended up going with a FLIR Zeus 640 (30 hz) 2-16x (I got is for $2900, but that was a miraculous set of circumstances with Optics Planet coming to the rescue, it should have been $4200). I had a entry model armasight for a short while that retails for 2800 and I can tell you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, you get a lot of bang for the extra bucks. I can count the hairs on my kids' heads at 20 yards with the Zeus, recognize deer at almost 2k yards, identify deer from other critters at about 800, and feel comfortable shooting to at least 400 (and more for a steadier hand than mine).

The bad news: FLIR has pulled out of the civilian market as of a couple months ago (scuttlebutt says it was family members here running roughshod over ITAR rules and sending units to the sandbox). You can still find them on eBay/used and TNV may still have a few on the shelves. I have heard wonderful things about Pulsar, but their offerings are not as diverse.

One thing to remember: there are lots of numbers, they all have meaning, but not all mean as much as others. For me, glass size and resolution are paramount. 60hz can pick up movement way better than 30hz, but 30hz works damned good and doesn't crush the batteries twice as fast (so I'll take 30hz and be happy). Core size is important too, but you can offset a generational difference in core with more "glass" up front....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom