• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StandUp

Jul 15, 2015
    This is why - if you're a Maryland resident who likes guns - you develop a long standing relationship with your LGS, rather than always trying to save a couple of pizza's worth of money when buying a $1000+ gun. Because they'll properly block the factory mags for you, send you happily on your way, and you both know there will be more business later.

This is the way.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The first rule about magazine club...
    This.

Seriously - do you not know anyone out of state, PA or VA? I bought some mags in Chantilly, and in a screwup with me juggling a bunch of stuff at the table, I left two of them laying there. I realized it after I got home, but I called, she remembered me, and shipped them to my niece, who lives in York. I picked them up the next time time we did a family gathering.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Are FFLs legally allowed to sell high cap mags to a resident of another state?

Nope

Md. Code, Crim. Law § 4-305 - A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

No exception for a non-resident.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    FFL selection is important. FFL relationship is equally important.

The time to have this conversation was before shipping your gun to them; not while standing there trying to “complete” the transaction.

As indicated upthread. Their store. Their rules. Knowing their rules previously would have made this a nonissue. They are protecting their livelihood. You are merely unhappy and inconvenienced.

Murderland. I miss you not at all.

I’d seriously consider the possibility that y’all will soon be unable to own “high capacity magazines” versus the current condition of simply being prohibited from transfer. While it’s up inconvenient and aggravating (not to mention gross infringement), it’s better than it could be. MGA will be emboldened during this National COVID POWER GRAB and other states further and successfully usurping on 2A. Was I y’all, and I ain’t, I’d be making my inventory right...right now.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    How did you have your high capacity magazines transferred with the gun?
    Went to pick up CZ Shadow 2 today and I'm told that this FFL wouldn't put magazine block to make it ten rounds and would not transfer magazines otherwise. Not wanting to send to VA address either. I asked if she can keep the base plates and I'll take home mag tubes, spring and feeder (aka not magazine) andbuy new base plates since this will be for a competition anyway. Nope.
    I asked her to send to the other FFL in MD that may be willing to do something. We shall see
    Hmmmmm

Perhaps post in the 'Introductions' forum, so we can know you better:

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

Shineboxes are on sale next week, I believe.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Are FFLs legally allowed to sell high cap mags to a resident of another state?

After the firearm transfer is complete what happens to the mag?

Does the FFL:
    destroy the mag
    throw it in the trash
    Leave it on the shelf til MGA comes to their senses
    ship or take it out of state for transfer or sale
    accidentally give it to a friend or employee?

Her shop, her rules. She is protecting a license.
    Once the mag is separated from the rifle do the rules change? Can MSP still dictate she not ship the mag out of state as a stand alone item? FFL’s ship firearms out of state why not mags?
    How would MSP ever track an unserialized part?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Does the FFL:
    destroy the mag
    throw it in the trash

Once the mag is separated from the rifle do the rules change? Can MSP still dictate she not ship the mag out of state as a stand alone item? FFL’s ship firearms out of state why not mags?

They can sell it to law enforcement or an out of state buyer, yes.

However, the buyer of the pistol cannot dictate where its shipped out of state, per the MSP.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Surprised your FFL in Maryland got the gun with hicap mags in the first place. Instead of looking for a way to go around the law should have just ordered from one of our IPs. They would have ordered you the “Marylinistan Compliant” version and you would have save a lot of heartburn, hassle and money. As been said in this forum repeatedly “take a trip out of state and buy mags to your hearts content”.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Surprised your FFL in Maryland got the gun with hicap mags in the first place. Instead of looking for a way to go around the law should have just ordered from one of our IPs. They would have ordered you the “Marylinistan Compliant” version and you would have save a lot of heartburn, hassle and money. As been said in this forum repeatedly “take a trip out of state and buy mags to your hearts content”.

OP ordered off the internet and had it shipped, without checking first.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    OP ordered off the internet and had it shipped, without checking first.

Wonder from where. Everytime I check on places like Gunbroker or Buds I get a “not for sale to residents of Marylinistan” if I select a high cap version. No problems if I select the stock # of weapon with 10 rounders. Wonder if it was a private seller? These dang 2020 members!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Wonder from where. Everytime I check on places like Gunbroker or Buds I get a “not for sale to residents of Marylinistan” if I select a high cap version. No problems if I select the stock # of weapon with 10 rounders. Wonder if it was a private seller? These dang 2020 members!

I have had tons of stuff shipped, my FFL just keeps the mag. That goes for rifles or pistols. Well, except for the pistol I bought in VA, where I took the mag home and had the pistol shipped and picked up in MD lol. Most places on Gunbroker I've found make it your responsibility to know the law, follow it, etc.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Does the FFL:
    destroy the mag
    throw it in the trash

All valid questions, and all squishy answers. Unless you are prone to self incrimination, no one can ever prove you transferred a standard capacity mag within MD, from an FFL, etc. That being said, an FFL is not wrong to want to completely cover their A$$ on the issue, because of the squishiness and all. That said, I have had mags transferred to me as parts kits, where I take them to my condo in Delaware (*rollseyes*), and legally reassemble them.

AFAIK the FFL can sell the mags to LEO or ship out of state. I know a few shops that have 30rd magpul and 17rd glock mags specifically for LEO purchase only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom