Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 16th, 2020, 09:33 PM #1

First rifle: Interested in possibly getting a IWI Tavor...

I was thinking about getting an AR15 for my first rifle, but I have been researching bullpups and read about the TAVOR. I am under the impression that they are banned in Marylandistan except for the IWI B18RS and IWI XB-18RS. Anyone have one? Where did u purchase it from? What is a reasonable price? Any issues with it? I think the bullpup design is so interesting. Thanks.
HealthyHollyCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2020, 09:41 PM #2

I don’t about whether they are “Not Disapproved” in Md-Stan or not but, CDNN Sports had them (you contact an FFL-holder and have the FFL send a copy of their FFL to CDNN (if not already on file with CDNN) and then you use a credit card or other means to pay CDNN and then thus ship the rifle to your FFL-holder.

I see they only .300 Blackout and 9mm now but, they def had 5.56 in the recent past. They’ll have them in 5.56 again soon enough, I’m confident: https://www.cdnnsports.com/catalogse...esult/?q=tavor

Best o’ Success!

hey, Hey, HEY! You heard it here first: IVANKA for POTUS, 2024!!!!!!!
slsc98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2020, 09:53 PM #3
3 5 7

3 5 7

The 18" Restricted State (18RS) model is maryland legal

The main issue with bullpups with respect to MD law is that they need to be over 29". IWI accomplished that with the 18RS.

FFLs can order it. Find an IP close to you.

As for the price, pre-pandemic I had seen them going for as low as $1400, but I think they are back up to $1800-2000.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2020, 10:18 PM #4

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
The 18" Restricted State (18RS) model is maryland legal

The main issue with bullpups with respect to MD law is that they need to be over 29". IWI accomplished that with the 18RS.

FFLs can order it. Find an IP close to you.

As for the price, pre-pandemic I had seen them going for as low as $1400, but I think they are back up to $1800-2000.
danb, thanks for this. I thought bullpups illegal, as well. Did not know were legal if over the 29" rule. Explains why I see them in the stores.
babalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2020, 10:41 PM #5
3 5 7

3 5 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalou View Post
danb, thanks for this. I thought bullpups illegal, as well. Did not know were legal if over the 29" rule. Explains why I see them in the stores.

OP, I am reading that you are a "Toyota" kinda of Person and your first pistol is a Glock.

If so... this rifle is probably not for you. These are great rifles! I have a bullpup, and I love it. But a "Toyota" type rifle, it ain't (esp at $1500+).

Find yourself something like a MD-compliant Ruger 556 https://ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8511.html.

There are a number of AR-style rifles in this price range that MD compliant and are decent at this price point.
Old May 17th, 2020, 12:05 AM #6

The Tavor is legal so long as you meet the 29" rule. They have models that have muzzle brakes pinned and welded at 30" to meet the 29" rule. An FFL can order a non-compliant version and permanently attach a muzzle device.

If you get the 18" barreled Tavor, you will be short about 2.1" without a permanent muzzle device. I am currently having the stock brake changed out for a Griffin Armament FlashComp, cuts the length down to a little above 29" and allows me to mount a Griffin M4SD suppressor. I can't wait to have my barrel back.

The cheek weld with a low optic is a tiny bit uncomfortable. I opted to change my rail out for a shorter, slightly taller rail (Gear Head Works Razorback). The shorter rail mimics the original IDF look.

Before:

After:
Old May 17th, 2020, 12:29 AM #7
3 5 7

3 5 7

Old May 17th, 2020, 02:07 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthyHollyCommando View Post
I was thinking about getting an AR15 for my first rifle, but I have been researching bullpups and read about the TAVOR. I am under the impression that they are banned in Marylandistan except for the IWI B18RS and IWI XB-18RS. Anyone have one? Where did u purchase it from? What is a reasonable price? Any issues with it? I think the bullpup design is so interesting. Thanks.
Just get you an AR15 man. I know you wanna get something cool, unique etc. Get the AR. Learn the manual of arms thats in use by most militaries today (talking about a magazine well in front of the trigger guard not AKs vs AR). SOCOM can use anything they want. Theyre not rolling with Scars, or tavors, or aks or galils or AUGs. They's runnin' a variety of different configurations of ARs. At least the majority of units.

Bottom line, you buy that tavor and I guarantee one day you'll end up getting an AR anyways. On the other hand, you buy the AR, im not sure if the reverse will hold true.
sajidakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 04:24 AM #9

Another vote for the Ar. Less money, it is the standard these days, and you don't have to pay to have a maryland strap-on put onto the end of it which takes away part of a bullpup's gain of being short and handy.
SAF Life Member
GOA Member
JFPO Member
ohen cepel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 10:55 AM #10

Awesome replies everyone, thanks, I appreciate it. I will get back to reading about ARs. It seems like a really nice AR that is customized can get pretty expensive quickly too.

Those pictures are great ST19AG_WGreymon, thanks for sharing. Looks really cool.
HealthyHollyCommando is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot