• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shogunade

Mar 21, 2020
    I got my first handgun 3/24. Mailed my collectors application 3/26. Panic ordered a handgun 3/31 to have transferred to a local FFL thinking it would take weeks to get, but I received an update with tracking and that it will ship out soon.

Anyone recently apply, what was your turnaround time for getting not disapproved?

And will most FFLs hold it for you until you can take possession?

TIA

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I know you can buy two handguns then wait 60 days but not sure if that applies to a purchase that are separate. The DC time was shorter the HQL wait time but that was some time ago. As stated above contact your FFL and ask them to make sure they don’t mind holding it till you get a solid answer or your DC.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Worst case is you pay for the gun and wait 20 more days.

Most likely you'll fall under the 2 gun/60 day limit, wait 7 days after you do the paperwork, and by the time you have the money for another firearm you'll get your DC letter.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    A few months ago my designated collector took about a month to get approved. I would think your FFL would just hold it for you. Some FFL’s aren’t accepting transfers right now and sending them back. Best to give them a call

Shogunade

Mar 21, 2020
    Thanks guys.

I'll go ahead and do the paperwork and see if this falls under the 2 gun 60 day limit.

I'll LYK the outcome.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I know you can buy two handguns then wait 60 days but not sure if that applies to a purchase that are separate. The DC time was shorter the HQL wait time but that was some time ago. As stated above contact your FFL and ask them to make sure they don’t mind holding it till you get a solid answer or your DC.

Best of my knowledge is it doesn’t. Has to be two at the same time. Technically it is supposed to be for taking advantage of a sale or estate sale (that’s specifically what it says in the law). Or for example you want to buy two handguns with consecutive serials. Not simply you want to buy two handguns at the same time or two close together. Not like MSP asks on the 77r and I don’t think any FFL cares or asks.

But it is 2 in 60 or 1 per 30. If you buy one on a 77r you will not receive a not disapproved until 30 days after you PICKED UP the first handgun.

I don’t know if applying for your designated collectors license would speed that up if MSP issues it to you while you are waiting. Probably it would.

Contact your FFL. Probably they are fine holding it the possibly 2-3 weeks they’d need to. But it would be nice that they have the heads up that it won’t be a 7 day hold.

I do sort of feel you. I own a number, but this whole crap got me off my butt and twisted my wife’s arm (she doesn’t like guns) in to get another new(er) handgun. I have a Glock 17, but all my other handguns are all C&R. Now I love my Cz82, but still not what I’d consider modern.

I traded in a P64 and a bit of cash on a LE Glock 21 and picked it up a couple weeks ago. If I only had one handgun or one modern one I’d have the itch for another right now. There are of course a few I’d LIKE to buy, but I don’t feel the need to. Let’s me keep a modern handgun in the bedside handgun vault and one in the basement gun safe with my AR. Or one to give to my wife and one for me. Both have fiber sights and lights on them.

HarryLogan

HarryLogan, also known as MesWoore
    Jan 16, 2020
    Thanks guys.

I'll go ahead and do the paperwork and see if this falls under the 2 gun 60 day limit.

I'll LYK the outcome.

I was told that the DC approval comes via email so you might also want to check your junk folder from time to time.

Last edited:

Jroc

Nov 26, 2019
    White Marsh
    My designated collector took about 3 weeks back in December. In order to qualify for the 2 in 60 days they must be purchased at the same time as someone said above. In my experience most will hold but obviously up to the particular FFL. I would just reach out to them and see. ....for the guy that’s said stores aren’t doing transfers I know Tyler’s is I did one yesterday and I have a FFL in Harford county that operates out of his house and he is still up and running if someone is in nee. Just an FYI. Also the guys at Tyler’s were great my 2nd visit and 1st transaction with them.

sb22

-
    Apr 9, 2018
    Ask your FFL to message the MSP via Live Chat. Maybe they can help push your DC status along quicker?

Shogunade

Mar 21, 2020
    Ask your FFL to message the MSP via Live Chat. Maybe they can help push your DC status along quicker?

Meh. That's not a chip I'd like to use, in fact I dont even have a chip yet.

I called them earlier and they said 2 pistols in 60 days is only for your first purchase. They're also holding it til I get the DC.

Thanks, Bluefins!

Shogunade

Mar 21, 2020
    Meh. That's not a chip I'd like to use, in fact I dont even have a chip yet.

I called them earlier and they said 2 pistols in 60 days is only for your first purchase. They're also holding it til I get the DC.

Thanks, Bluefins!

I was wrong. So its 1 handgun every 30 or 2 every 60 without the collectors.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Speaking of DC status, does anyone have a copy of the MSP guidance that the DC does not qualify anyone as a bona fide collector? I thought I had it, I apparently don't.

TIA

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I am at a day or two past a month right now and have been hitting my junk mail folder as well as the mail account. Hopefully today or Monday...

Have one in Jail right now that hopefully I will be able to get out before 30 days. I did the paperwork on it they day I picked up my last one. Because B&Ts get sold very quickly...

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Speaking of DC status, does anyone have a copy of the MSP guidance that the DC does not qualify anyone as a bona fide collector? I thought I had it, I apparently don't.

TIA

I looked around here for about 25 minutes. All I could find were arguments about this issue. I had saved the ruling (2010) about transport of loaded mags being okay, but nothing about bonafide collector.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I looked around here for about 25 minutes. All I could find were arguments about this issue. I had saved the ruling (2010) about transport of loaded mags being okay, but nothing about bonafide collector.

Yeah, I did the same...I know it's here, I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks PP.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

TIA

MSP "guidance" is a pathetic substitute for actual law.

Bona fide is Latin for good faith. IMO two pistols does not make a collection, but my definition is not law either.

If push comes to shove, and the legislature is not interested in defining the terms they create out of their vaporing, the courts will have to determine the meaning.

What is, is. What "is" means is up for grabs.

There may be better ways to structure the law, but sometimes shelter can be found in ambiguity.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Ok, so my Designated Collector status was approved. I sent an Email to the MSP this morning and got a reply back stating that they were running two weeks late on getting letters out. I the got an actual letter in the mail today. It seems that I got approved in two weeks and my gun pimp might have been able to have delivered on the 21st of May but they were not on the ball since they are a newer shop and did not know any better... So I mailed my application on the 5th and apparently it was approved by the 21st Received an actual letter on the 8th of June...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom