• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mammazoe

Jun 3, 2020
    Baltimore, MD
    Hello All! I am having trouble trying to find out how to resolve this issue. I was approved for my HQL at the beginning of February and submitted a 77R for an H&K VP9 I purchased over 2 months ago now & was forwarded from the FFL to the MSP 4/20/20. I received a call from an officer investigating my application on 4/24/20 stating he saw my fingerprints were run back 20 years ago for a situation with my 1st husband. The charges were dropped & it was expunged from public record 20years ago. I explained what happened to the officer & he said he had to get verification from the clerks office that it was either not prosecuted or they have no record. Of course I immediately contacted the state of GA & got in touch with an office that could verify the situation for him & I contacted him with that information on 4/27/20 and have never again heard back from any of my communications either email or phone. The FFL tried contacting him with no response & my application in the system says it’s on hold. The FFL says he cannot transfer the handgun to me until the state released him to do so & I have not been able to get in touch with anyone else because the phones are down for the licensing division due to the pandemic. I contacted an ombudsman’s office but no response there either. I am a single mother of 2 children living in Baltimore city during a pandemic & civil uprisings & cant even protect us if we need it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Hello All! I am having trouble trying to find out how to resolve this issue. I was approved for my HQL at the beginning of February and submitted a 77R for an H&K VP9 I purchased over 2 months ago now & was forwarded from the FFL to the MSP 4/20/20. I received a call from an officer investigating my application on 4/24/20 stating he saw my fingerprints were run back 20 years ago for a situation with my 1st husband. The charges were dropped & it was expunged from public record 20years ago. I explained what happened to the officer & he said he had to get verification from the clerks office that it was either not prosecuted or they have no record. Of course I immediately contacted the state of GA & got in touch with an office that could verify the situation for him & I contacted him with that information on 4/27/20 and have never again heard back from any of my communications either email or phone. The FFL tried contacting him with no response & my application in the system says it’s on hold. The FFL says he cannot transfer the handgun to me until the state released him to do so & I have not been able to get in touch with anyone else because the phones are down for the licensing division due to the pandemic. I contacted an ombudsman’s office but no response there either. I am a single mother of 2 children living in Baltimore city during a pandemic & civil uprisings & cant even protect us if we need it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. It's considered a general courtesy to introduce yourself on this forum before asking questions and such. There's an introductions page on this forum for just that purpose.

That said, you'll find a friendly group of folks here willing to share info.

Who knows what's going on...might just be a matter of bad timing. If it is indeed an expungement, it should have no effect on your ability to purchase firearms. Records are obviously mixed up somewhere.

Keep calling. If to no avail, might want to consult an attorney.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Welcome to MDShooter.

Find a different FFL, there is nothing in state law that requires them to wait for a release from MSP after the 7th day. It is perfectly legal for him to do so. Whether he wants to or not is his decision.

Mammazoe

Jun 3, 2020
    Baltimore, MD
    Thank you! I’m afraid I’m social media challenged and am just figuring out how to do these things. I will introduce myself on the other thread and thank you for the suggestions.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Welcome to MDShooter.

Find a different FFL, there is nothing in state law that requires them to wait for a release from MSP after the 7th day. It is perfectly legal for him to do so. Whether he wants to or not is his decision.

This is correct

At the 8th day the FFL has the discretion to release the gun to you regardless of whether or not the 77R has come back as not disapproved.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    First, I commend you for protecting your family.

Second, The Maryland State Police put the cuss in customer service. Its not timing. They just suck. If you were criminal you would have your gun in hours. no lie or exaggeration. This is probably the millionth time this is happened because the HQL a frivolous waste of taxpayer and Bloomberg money. Do you blame them for not being too excited about your paperwork issue? I mean, they could be out putting their knee on the neck of a guy who wrote a $20 bad check and instead are stuck doing paperwork.

My 0.02:
    - get a long gun, at least for the time being.
    - donate the cost of a box of ammo to Maryland Shall issue https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/join
    - you may need to hire or find a pro-2A attorney to light a fire under the MDSP ass. There is a lot of ass to catch fire, should not be too hard.
    - Vote against MD's frivolous gun laws it at any opportunity.
    - you could try writing to your MD delegate, that may get the MDSP attention. But good luck, your delegate wants to make sure only cops and criminals have guns.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I purchased one firearm from them. The tactically dressed guy behind the counter didn’t want to release to me even though I had the MSP email. He claimed I had to wait until the 8th day regardless of receiving the email. I explained that he was completely wrong. Being the challenging type of guy he decided that he wanted to prove it to me by contacting MSP. I was all ears. I left with my firearm that day.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Nothing against Arundel Firearms, but give Tyler Firearms in Halethorp a try. They are pretty easy to deal with. I dont know if they transfer on 8th day regardless or not, MSP likes to threaten FFL's about it. They are also closer to the city.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Nothing against Arundel Firearms, but give Tyler Firearms in Halethorp a try. They are pretty easy to deal with. I dont know if they transfer on 8th day regardless or not, MSP likes to threaten FFL's about it. They are also closer to the city.

They lost a lawsuit back in 2013 trying to do that. Since then, they request that dealers not release firearms until the "not disapproved" is issued.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    First of all, nice choice of weapon.

Second, you could try Blue Fins, in Dundalk. I had a weapon sent to them and in filling out my 77R realized I probably should get a few ancient past items expunged first. I did that. It took almost 6 months. They held the gun for me without charge. They were patient and helpful. And friendly when the time came to go get it. So I recommend them to everyone. Call them and ask if they can help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mammazoe

Jun 3, 2020
    Baltimore, MD
    I did get an email from MSP saying my 77R was being put on hold due to conflict with potential criminal charges and that until it was resolved I was not allowed to purchase or obtain a firearm. I do also have a long gun so I’m not completely defenseless it’s a survival rifle so not super practical in a defensive in home positioning but it’s better than nothing. Don’t understand why I had no issue with HQL and now all this. My ex husband said I stole his car, charges dropped & expunged. He’s seeing exactly what he should be seeing given it was expunged 20years ago. Ridiculous. And yes if I was a criminal I wouldn’t be going through this process I could go buy one down the street and would’ve likely had other charges over the last 20years. But it’s certainly possible DanB that you are right he may be too busy dreaming about being able to be out murdering civilians in the streets to get to my paperwork. Roadking I am a left hand left eye so I prefer this one to anything I’ve had before. Got to practice with one & fell in love. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’ll let you know what happens!

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Licensing should be open Monday through Friday. In your situation a shotgun loaded with slugs and buckshot would be a very effective home defense weapon. Welcome to the forum ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom