• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danimalw

Ultimate Member
    OK, Gotcha.

Why put the dirt in front?

I've seen multiple ranges built with a log wall with dirt backstop piled in front of log wall. Logs help hold the dirt in place and act as another layer of bullet stop SHOULD the bullets make it thru the dirt.

I think he's not using the logs as primary bullet stop. But hey, what do I know other then don't fly a plane thru trees.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am just asking why he picked this way.

I had seen it both ways.

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    OK, Gotcha.

Why put the dirt in front?

Couple reasons for this decision, First it is inevitable the dirt pile will sluff down as time goes by. From the front I can just scoop it back up with a small utility tractor. I can not get to the back of the pile due to the lay of the land so the pole wall will eliminate the pile from sluffing back. Using a pole wall also reduces the amount of dirt needed for a 6ft high pile.

The second reason, I do not want the poles to take the impact of the bullets. I figure constant impact on the poles I may get a few years before the poles are so chewed up I will have to replace them and I'm sure you can imagine how much of a PITA that would be. Without the poles taking the impact of the bullet I'm not sure how long they will last but it is surely longer then if they were constantly being shot. this is also the reason for using old power poles. They are treated with creosote and should last a very long time. The original plan was to use pine logs harvested from the property but I figure I should get more life out of the poles. You can see I had to resort to the pine logs on the left side wall due to running out of poles.

BayouBengal

May 12, 2020
    Montgomery County
    That's going to be an awesome range. Taking a few notes for when the time comes to rebuild one on some family property. I was using surplus railroad ties with sandbags and dirt in front but those poles sound like a neat idea. Decent ties are becoming harder to find in that area from what I've heard.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Couple reasons for this decision, First it is inevitable the dirt pile will sluff down as time goes by. From the front I can just scoop it back up with a small utility tractor. I can not get to the back of the pile due to the lay of the land so the pole wall will eliminate the pile from sluffing back. Using a pole wall also reduces the amount of dirt needed for a 6ft high pile.

The second reason, I do not want the poles to take the impact of the bullets. I figure constant impact on the poles I may get a few years before the poles are so chewed up I will have to replace them and I'm sure you can imagine how much of a PITA that would be. Without the poles taking the impact of the bullet I'm not sure how long they will last but it is surely longer then if they were constantly being shot. this is also the reason for using old power poles. They are treated with creosote and should last a very long time. The original plan was to use pine logs harvested from the property but I figure I should get more life out of the poles. You can see I had to resort to the pine logs on the left side wall due to running out of poles.

Cool, I like your thinking.

Thanks

Windsors

Apr 20, 2012
    Kingsville, MD
    Great build. I am planning a similar one on the ESMD and using old dock pilings as a backstop with dirt in front like you have or thinking of a plate of AR500 steel in front of the pilings.

Does anyone know if 4x8 plates of ar500 steel are available in MD ?

Thanks

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Great build. I am planning a similar one on the ESMD and using old dock pilings as a backstop with dirt in front like you have or thinking of a plate of AR500 steel in front of the pilings.

Does anyone know if 4x8 plates of ar500 steel are available in MD ?

Thanks

Durrett Sheppard carries it. Not sure what size they stock. But they can cut whatever size you need.

1/2" sheet will cost $2-3000 and weigh about 650#.

Windsors

Apr 20, 2012
    Kingsville, MD
    If anyone cares, got a quote from Durrett Shepperd as suggested and a 4' x 8' x 1/2" sheet of ar500 steel is 650 lbs like dontpanic said and its $1150 per sheet. 3/8" is $100 cheaper, so its really a reasonbale way to get a good backstop quickly.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If anyone cares, got a quote from Durrett Shepperd as suggested and a 4' x 8' x 1/2" sheet of ar500 steel is 650 lbs like dontpanic said and its $1150 per sheet. 3/8" is $100 cheaper, so its really a reasonbale way to get a good backstop quickly.

That's a good price

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom