• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster
    So a friend gave me Simmons 3-9x50mm scope he wasn't using.
    The scope I took off the 22lr was only a 3x32mm, so it was a lot smaller.
    I found the mounts at a shop to clear the quarter inch needed, low to medium, to fit the 50 off of the barrel and taking it back tomorrow to get it mounted.

Am I just looking for trouble with zeroing or shooting going against the factory mounted scope with having to raise my eye or head some to compensate for the added height ?
    Don't worry about it ?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You might need a cheek pad to raise your comb height. Should be ok o/w. Mount the rifle with you eyes closed and then open them. If your eye is too low get a cheek pad.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...I found the mounts at a shop to clear the quarter inch needed,...
    You typically don't need 1/4", you only need to not touch any part of the rifle with the scope or caps. Having 1/4" or more clearance contributes to your impending cheek weld issue.
    Am I just looking for trouble with zeroing or shooting going against the factory mounted scope with having to raise my eye or head some to compensate for the added height ?
    You should have a solid cheek weld to always position your head consistently in the correct place.
    You might need a cheek pad to raise your comb height. Should be ok o/w. Mount the rifle with you eyes closed and then open them. If your eye is too low get a cheek pad.
    This...

Find your natural point of aim and make sure your lateral alignment is good. In other words, do as calicojack suggests above, but first look at lateral alignment. If you need to lean your head one way or the other, position your body to correct that error, then see to your height adjustment.

Once you get these two adjustments (NPOA & height) close, check your scope at full magnification for eye relief, adjust that, then check your other adjustments at full magnification and make sure it all works.

The more particular you are about getting this right, the better, more consistently and more comfortably you can shoot, and it will increase your acquisition speed immensely.

If you can rest your head on the stock with your eyes closed, and then open your eyes to a full field of view, you are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom