• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    After not buying any guns for almost 30 years, I am dealing with the new rules. Once you apply for the collector designation, how long does it typically take to get the letter? And is there any where online you can check to see if it has been approved?
    Thanks
    Rob

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    After not buying any guns for almost 30 years, I am dealing with the new rules. Once you apply for the collector designation, how long does it typically take to get the letter? And is there any where online you can check to see if it has been approved?
    Thanks
    Rob

Got mine back in a couple weeks. No, it’s not supported by an online process tracker.

Nathaniel

Nathan
    Oct 29, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    I brought three AR15 lower at the same time with my MSP Collector designation. Once you have it, It's forever. It's log in their system when they do the check on your background And I didn't have to show my collector designation when picking up my receivers.

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I brought three AR15 lower at the same time with my MSP Collector designation. Once you have it, It's forever. It's log in their system when they do the check on your background And I didn't have to show my collector designation when picking up my receivers.

You next step could be dropping $30 for a FFL03 (C&R) so you can have nice things mailed right to your door, without interacting with MSP or having to enter your firearms into the state's database.

gem357

MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2013
    SoHoCo
    The guy at my local gun store said if you dont use the collector letter every month they take it away. I have found the most effective way to utilize the collector letter is to stay up really late, have a few adult beverages of your choice, then go on gunbroker and bid way too much on everything you have ever wanted. You need to do this, by law, at least once a month, that is what i tell my family at least.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only person with that habit!

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    wow i am so glad criminals will only have 1 gun a month since laws are always followed by them ,

pdenajim

Oct 16, 2019
    Pasadena
    I'm applying for collector status but for some reason"Describe nature of collecting activities" has me stumped.
    I think I need some sleep.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I'm applying for collector status but for some reason"Describe nature of collecting activities" has me stumped.
    I think I need some sleep.

For all lawful purposes.

That covers it, no need to get creative or specific. As long as you have a regulated firearm they will approve it.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    The guy at my local gun store said if you dont use the collector letter every month they take it away. I have found the most effective way to utilize the collector letter is to stay up really late, have a few adult beverages of your choice, then go on gunbroker and bid way too much on everything you have ever wanted. You need to do this, by law, at least once a month, that is what i tell my family at least.

No, many here know that there are gun store employees that are that stupid.

Either the LGS employee is trying to gin up business, or...what Pinecone said.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    My collectors was processed within a week. I usually allow a handful to accumulate, pay the $10 MSP fee 1x and my FFL only charges me for 1 ATF form.

For the life of me I can't understand the logic behind a cooling off period after your first? My Glock 26 is too small, my Glock 17L is too big , I need a Glock 19 because it's "just right" for this crime of passion....

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville

Effective salesman! I may have to do that,,, even If I dont believe it,, just to stay current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom