• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I didn't have that problem. If you use a light touch and go slow, it can work. Once the cut starts it will continue in the same place. You can always try a test cut or two farther out from the final length.

I have a buddy who needs me around to say "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" when he works on anything mechanical. I wouldn't tell him how to cut a barrel. I'd give him the name of a decent gunsmith instead.

Good idea testing it further down. I may give that a try.

Haha I'm not that guy. I can DIY most things. I just figured I'd I end up deciding get the barrel ported, I may as well just have the smith do it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Heck , that slight inwards tapering isn't a Fault , it's a Feature . That's actually a couple of thousandths of choke , for more even patterns .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Any pipe fitters on here? A portable steel bandsaw would make short work of this.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Was going to suggest buying a 12" barrel for the gun instead of cutting it down, but then I realized that the 870 really isn't much good for anything but home defense, and even then, meh. Also realized that 870s and 870 barrels are a dime a dozen. So, chop away.

Any thoughts about just using a chop saw on it? Square it up and chop away.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3337963889...phe-1yqfDspfZ_gMkrQWUGNDEPDyoDFQaAlUsEALw_wcB

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Yes it is if you own both the barrel and the receiver and have control over them. It is called constructive possession.

Annnnnddddd we're still talking about legal vs illegal instead of recommendations for gun smiths. Neat.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    $20 Horrible Freight angle grinder and abrasive disc will cut thru it like butter --no reason to overthink this --just dress the end up with a sander and some cold blue

Chooch

Jan 27, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    Check out Aggelis Arms in south York PA. Spiro can thread for choke tubes as well. He threaded my 590A1 SBS and it was perfect. Tell him Paul @Maryland Cerakote sent you. Good luck with whoever you use!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since barells can be shipped w/o hassle , there is a large plethora of outfits that offer choke tube threading and etc . Either internet search , or many advertise in shotgun sport oriented periodicals .

ecampo

Mar 3, 2008
    Mike Orlen on Shotgunworld has excellent reviews. Great prices and quick turnaround.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tweaking a fixed choke , or subtle overboring to adjust balance are art forms . Chopping and choke tube threading are Machine Shop 101 .

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Annnnnddddd we're still talking about legal vs illegal instead of recommendations for gun smiths. Neat.

Yeah, just correcting disinformation to keep others out of trouble. I already know you know all the laws out there, but somebody else that comes along might not. Pretty sure you are well versed on constructive possession.

Just use a chop saw on the POS 870 barrel. Those guns are a dime a dozen and the chop saw should give you a neat cut.

No sense paying a gun smith to cut a POS shotgun barrel when you can buy the chop saw, make the neat cut, and then sell the chop saw for very little monetary loss. Should keep your finances neat and tidy.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Tweaking a fixed choke , or subtle overboring to adjust balance are art forms . Chopping and choke tube threading are Machine Shop 101 .

What is the reasoning for choke tubes in a barrel like that? Gun is mostly going to be used for home defense and shots within the home are really, really close.

If the OP really wanted to use the gun for shooting outdoors for say clays or hunting, it would make a lot more sense to get a longer barrel that would allow for swing follow through with a much longer sighting plane. 870 barrels are somewhat cheap when the world is not about to end.

Have to also worry some about loss of velocity for longer ranges. Still would not want to be hit with buckshot at 50 yards from that gun, but not the optimal gun for longer range shotgunning.

Of course, I also understand that patterning is mostly, if not entirely, a result of choke tubes. Have to wonder what the difference would be between cylinder and full at 10 yards. My entire house is 30 yards from side to side and less than 20 yards front to back.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It varies depending upon the load ( Flite Control Wads do great improvements in cylinder chokes ) . But for rule of thumb with typical buckshot @ 10yds would be 6- 10 inch pattern vs fist sized or smaller .

Is that enough difference to make a difference ? At 10 yards , not really . But 20- 25yds it makes a difference .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom