• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    We were near Ft Meade today, when we heard a state helo come in to Tipton, than after a couple minutes take off again, heading SE.

A bit later, we see it heading back N and figure the pilot is maybe getting hours in. But then, right behind it is a MedStar chopper on the same heading.

Was there a big issue in the Annapolis or Crofton area today, a bit after noon??

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If the state can't get a medevac on scene in X minutes, they will call the park police. If the Eagle is committed otherwise, they will call the closest private. Doesn't happen often, usually for multi-casualty incidents.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough... these both showed every sign of heading to either Shock Trauma or another city-area hospital, together.

Yes, if syscom needs more transports than they can provide, they will fall back on the private helos. Now if there are several leveled traumas at the same time, they would typically not drop them off at the same hospital to avoid straining resources and pushing a center into 'trauma bypass'. They may take one to Shock Trauma and another one to JHU (both level I).

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The protocol for Montgomery as I understand it is if the EMT is requesting a helo med vac they will first call the state, if trooper 3 fredrick, trooper 1 baltimore, trooper 2 kadw are not able to provide the helo then next call is eagle 1. if eagle 1 is not able to provide the helo dispatch will inform the medic and at that point the medic can request a private helo then and or fairfax 1 out of va. I have heard fairfax 1 respond a couple of times but its a rare day when that happens. Syscom handles all request for helo transport even if that call comes in from WVA,PA,DE or VA as well. Lately they have been using NIFOG 7Air2Grnd 60 as their primary coms channel and NIFOG 7Air2Grnd 67 coms to the trauma center. Heck once in a great while Trooper 7 in southern MD will fly down to Norfolk,VA to pick up and or drop off a pt as well.

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    They may have been doing the National Night out show at Ft Meade. Sometimes they had a helicopter there to show the kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom