Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 23rd, 2020, 04:06 PM #1

Postal Concerns

I am in self isolation due to age and underlying health issues. I am ordering more online these days in order to maintain isolation and not leave the house. Some things I order are shipped from China. I do not worry about the virus remaining on the shipping box or contents as it is a week or several in transit. What I am concerned about is possible contamination on the shipping box from handling inside the US, particularly by local delivery workers. I have similar concerns about the US Postal Service delivery of mail.

My current solution is to glove up, go outside to the front porch where the packages and mail are delivered. First I lightly spray alcohol over the packages and mail envelopes and my gloves. The alcohol quickly dries and I open the packages and envelopes with a dedicated knife left outside on the porch. I assume the contents are not contaminated and remove them with a gloved hand. I spray the knife with alcohol and leave it on the porch. I carry the contents of packages and envelopes inside the house and remove and dispose of the gloves.

I know this sounds like I am really anal retentive, but I can't catch this virus and what the Hell, what else do I have to do all day, shut in the house.

I am constructing a UVC light box, just waiting for delivery of the bulb. I will then UV radiate everything I bring in the house from outdoors.

OK, shoot away. Waiting for incoming comments.
LiveSteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 04:21 PM #2
Wish I lived in America

Wish I lived in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSteamer View Post
I am in self isolation due to age and underlying health issues. I am ordering more online these days in order to maintain isolation and not leave the house. Some things I order are shipped from China. I do not worry about the virus remaining on the shipping box or contents as it is a week or several in transit. What I am concerned about is possible contamination on the shipping box from handling inside the US, particularly by local delivery workers. I have similar concerns about the US Postal Service delivery of mail.

My current solution is to glove up, go outside to the front porch where the packages and mail are delivered. First I lightly spray alcohol over the packages and mail envelopes and my gloves. The alcohol quickly dries and I open the packages and envelopes with a dedicated knife left outside on the porch. I assume the contents are not contaminated and remove them with a gloved hand. I spray the knife with alcohol and leave it on the porch. I carry the contents of packages and envelopes inside the house and remove and dispose of the gloves.

I know this sounds like I am really anal retentive, but I can't catch this virus and what the Hell, what else do I have to do all day, shut in the house.

I am constructing a UVC light box, just waiting for delivery of the bulb. I will then UV radiate everything I bring in the house from outdoors.

OK, shoot away. Waiting for incoming comments.
Variation on that theme: I spray down the exterior with hydrogen peroxide and then leave packages out on the porch for a few hours. Any mail stays in the mailbox until the next morning. Not perfect, but 12+ hours should be OK.

I have a UV-C bulb incoming and will be setting up a decontamination area in the garage. When I have to head out for things like groceries the jacket and shoes and pants will come off and lay them down in front of the bulb. Leave out there until the next day. I'm retired, at risk, and nothing needs to happen in a hurry so slow motion.

Also have n95 masks, face shield, and gloves if it really gets bad out there.
Maryland Wear and Carry
Utah and PA non-resident CCW
Jake4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 04:28 PM #3
i pi

i pi

Just be careful, the UV light causes eye damage, burns, and ultimately skin cancer - so avoid all exposure. It also can decompose and break down plastics and some other materials.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 04:41 PM #4
NRA Life Member

NRA Life Member

I put all of my mail and boxes “in quarantine” in the garage for 3 days. It doesn’t use any resources (Lysol, bleach, etc...) and it should kill the virus.

I’ve heard that the virus can live up to 3 days on a surface.
Old March 23rd, 2020, 04:45 PM #5
Crna Ovca

Crna Ovca

Covid19 isn't anthrax!
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man...2020?is Maryland shall issue yet!!!
thomfantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 05:19 PM #6
MSI Executive Member

MSI Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomfantomas View Post
Covid19 isn't anthrax!
Yeah, but if the mailman just sneezed all over it, you grab it and then scratch you nose, you could get in trouble.

OP in your situation what you are doing sounds reasonable to be. Pray for better treatment and a vaccine sooner than later.
mac1_131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 05:20 PM #7

Good lord! Why don't we all just curl up in a ball in the corner of the room and wait. Has the fear set in this bad?
basscat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 05:21 PM #8
NRA Life Member

NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscat View Post
Good lord! Why don't we all just curl up in a ball in the corner of the room and wait. Has the fear set in this bad?
You do you and I’ll do me.

The OP has a legitimate concern here.
Old March 23rd, 2020, 05:24 PM #9
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

We sell UVC bulbs for HVAC systems. We made a Sheetmetal box with a bulb in it to decontaminate our face masks. We could use it for the mail as well.
Attached Images

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: It’s the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a person’s heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 05:26 PM #10

Put the mail in the oven. 170 degrees or however low it will go, put a sheet of foil over or under it depending on where the burner/element is.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Marbury vs. Madison
GrimReaper is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers

Tags
you're all wrong