Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 25th, 2020, 10:04 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxVO2 View Post
****Ok, I'll admit I'm a bit (ok, a lot) ignorant about this. You mean you can fire a 12 gauge shotgun shell/slug from a flare gun?

A guy at our range brought out an old Thompson T/C Contender single shot with I think a .30-.30 rifle cartridge insert and it had *brutal* recoil. It was just stupid painful, and made my 8 inch .44 mag model 29 S&W with heavy loads seem *easy* to shoot in comparison.

I've seen flare guns on boats before and they don't seem *that* sturdy of a device - mostly for emergency use, and not all that heavy. Hopefully, you are just firing 12gauge flares out of that thing and not shotgun shells with 00 Buck or slugs.

Dunno...
I have a contender with a 30-30 barrel. Lol, yep she’s a hand full! I have been able to take 2 deer with it. It Doesn’t come out often anymore though.
Brickman301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 05:59 AM #12

Back around 1983, I was attending the 4th of July festivities in Marysville, PA. I don't know if they are still as Patriotic today, but for a small town, they had a nice parade and celebration. During the day, a friend took me to a farm owned by a friend or his, a fellow vet and firearms enthusiast. Out of all the guns we shot that day, the Thompson Center Contender in 45-70 was the most memorable. When he gave it to me to shoot (I was first), I took a normal two hand shooting stance and he quickly stopped me. He said you have to shoot this laying down, Creedmore style.

After I touched it off I understood what he meant. The barrel was about 14" or so and it belched out a flame like flame thrower. I was a still slim and strong in those days (no laughing) and that gun recoiled until it was pointed straight up! I'm sure glad he only let us shoot it once.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:05 AM #13
Certified Mad Scientist

Certified Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
Back around 1983, I was attending the 4th of July festivities in Marysville, PA. I don't know if they are still as Patriotic today, but for a small town, they had a nice parade and celebration. During the day, a friend took me to a farm owned by a friend or his, a fellow vet and firearms enthusiast. Out of all the guns we shot that day, the Thompson Center Contender in 45-70 was the most memorable. When he gave it to me to shoot (I was first), I took a normal two hand shooting stance and he quickly stopped me. He said you have to shoot this laying down, Creedmore style.

After I touched it off I understood what he meant. The barrel was about 14" or so and it belched out a flame like flame thrower. I was a still slim and strong in those days (no laughing) and that gun recoiled until it was pointed straight up! I'm sure glad he only let us shoot it once.
BFR makes a .45-70 revolver... just in case you want the experience 5 times without reloading
Doctor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:12 AM #14
Certified Mad Scientist

Certified Mad Scientist

BTW... here was my response this morning to the original Customer service message.

"Thanks for your response. The MD Attorney General (Brian Frosh) has a history of trying to intimidate businesses he doesn't like into not conducting business in MD even though there is no legal authority to do so. No problem, it is your business and you must protect yourself as you see fit. I found a competitor who has no problem selling said item where not restricted by law (and about $300 worth of other stuff I also picked up last night). I wish you well."
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:29 AM #15

I haven't had my contender out in years, I have a .44, .45/410. 30/30 and .22. It's very accurate I always wanted a .223 for ground hogs but never found a barrel.
sbbieshelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 10:25 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M View Post
So, just for grins and giggles, I decided to order another subcaliber insert for a 26.5 mm military flare gun (one that will allow you to shoot .410/.45 Colt). Now, I realize that the insertion of such a device constitutes the construction of a handgun... but that's still legal in MD and federally. I see on the page a whole list of states where the company will not ship.... and sure enough, MD is on the list.

Now I have purchased these things before with no trouble, and I know that there has been no new legislation that has passed recently that should ban these in MD. When I contact their customer service to ask why they wouldn't ship, this is the response I got.

"We are advised by the State Attorney General's office that we cannot ship those items across the state lines. We would love to be able to but cannot until they tell us otherwise.
Kristie
Customer Service"

So my question is what gives the Barron the authority to ban these? Not that I really needed it, but it pisses me off that I can't get one.
Your question should be "who else will ship these to Maryland?", otherwise can't do anything about what the business or Maryland says or does.
Proud Patriot Guard Rider
Charter Member, JPFO
Occasional Asshole
Docster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2020, 08:54 PM #17
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseymorejr View Post
LOL! Years ago a friend had a Contender with a 45-70 barrel. That thing was a blast to shoot, but you didn't want to shoot it a bunch!
I've got one. I call it my Manly handgun.

Lots of caliber choices for Contenders
https://www.bullberry.com/oldcustom-contender-barrels

Encores have even more.
https://www.bullberry.com/oldcustom-encore-barrels

That is why they call them Hand Cannons.

Last edited by Blacksmith101; March 29th, 2020 at 09:01 PM. Reason: add links
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2020, 09:12 PM #18
Eqinsu Ocha

Eqinsu Ocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxVO2 View Post
****Ok, I'll admit I'm a bit (ok, a lot) ignorant about this. You mean you can fire a 12 gauge shotgun shell/slug from a flare gun?

A guy at our range brought out an old Thompson T/C Contender single shot with I think a .30-.30 rifle cartridge insert and it had *brutal* recoil. It was just stupid painful, and made my 8 inch .44 mag model 29 S&W with heavy loads seem *easy* to shoot in comparison.

I've seen flare guns on boats before and they don't seem *that* sturdy of a device - mostly for emergency use, and not all that heavy. Hopefully, you are just firing 12gauge flares out of that thing and not shotgun shells with 00 Buck or slugs.

Dunno...
This guy tried it with the little cheap ones. I'm not sure about the metal ones with a metal insert.

I wish I had time and place to screw around like that...

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"

I would like to change my gender identity to "Well Regulated Militia."
Art3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 05:14 AM #19
Certified Mad Scientist

Certified Mad Scientist

Yep... you would be a darned fool if you were to fire a live 12 gauge (mini or otherwise) in an Orion type flare gun... and a one handed fool at that. Even the metal inserts that reduce the chamber down to say .38 special will fail (and you would have to modify the flare barrel to accept it or mill down the insert). The AFT did a number of tests of these years ago and they all resulted catastrophic failure.

The metal military flare pistols are much more robust and built to lock up tight (the Orion flare guns have no locking mechanism at all and just stay closed by friction). Even so, I wouldn't use anything above a .410 in one of those either... I think that there are inserts that would allow you to shoot a 12 ga in a 26.5 or 37 mm flare gun, but I believe that turns the flare gun into a destructive device under federal regulations (plus a smooth bore insert would also result in a NFA short barreled shotgun)... either way, I sure wouldn't do it in a 26.5mm flare pistol.

.410/.45 Colt (rifled), .38, .22 (offset) are all safe and legal in a sound 26.5mm flare pistol. The caveat is by doing it you have manufactured a title 1 firearm. As long as that is legal for you to do, it is safe.
Old March 30th, 2020, 09:58 AM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art3 View Post
This guy tried it with the little cheap ones. I'm not sure about the metal ones with a metal insert.

I wish I had time and place to screw around like that...
Even though you knew what was coming, that was good.
WatTyler is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot