Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 25th, 2020, 04:41 PM #81
GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirex View Post
I like the idea of the tires lined up like a giant sound baffle. I have seen that before. At Hap Baker in Carroll county they have shooting boxes you put your barrel/muzzle in to muffle some of the blast. Maybe build a gun box and spray it with rubberized undercoating to help deaden the sound? I would kinda make notes of all the compromises you have tried to make, along with noting any interactions you've had with him. Log the times you shoot. That way if the complaints escalate you have some kind of reference for the LEOs.

I live in central Carroll county, and I am just inside the city line, in a small tucked away townhome community. I can't even legally shoot airsoft or BB guns on my property. However, across the tracks, about 1/4 mile away, there is a farm where the shoot sometimes. Kinda freaked my wife out at first. I told her not to worry about it, as we are in the country, but she asked, "What if we have bullets whizzing by the house???" I jokingly told her to return fire. She has gotten used to it, as most neighbors have, but we have some newer ones who swing a bit left and seem a little bothered by it, although I trued to assure them it is normal, we are far enough away, and its nothing to worry about. I just wish they'd invite me over to shoot over there, lol.
Walk over to the farm when they are shooting, and ask if they need any help. Maybe they'll be neighborly...
ralph.mclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 08:06 PM #82

Private range

This reminds me of the similar problem Duffys gun room in Sparks Md, Baltimore County incurred. Im friends with the owner. I went go High School with in fact. I graduated 1976, he around the same time.
Sometime later he became the owner of Duffys Gun Room retail gun store and repair shop. Thus he also had an outdoor shooting range down the street from his shop, which at the time was considered to be out in the country, though not far from suburbia -( Hunt Valley). He was able to work on guns and take to his range close by to test fire and pleasure shooting. Wouldn't you know it before too long he too started to get complaints same as you. His position was you people move into the country where it is commonplace to shoot, then you complain about hearing the noise as if you had decided to stay in suburbia. In essence, your bitching has forced these one sided laws because the county looks at future growth of communities and stores. Future development equals more tax base for the county! Money controls everything. People forget the importance of our second amendment and need to accept the importance of these rights, but in the end, gun owners seem to lose more times than not.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:24 PM #83

Thanks everyone for the responses. Due to the increase in ammo prices, this is giving me some time to evaluate my range rather than using it. Im going to look into moving further back, away from this neighbor. That way he cant "see my rifles barrels".

I called the local sheriffs office and was told if your 150yds away from his house, they cant tell me to stop. If homeowner requests a decibel check, they will bring a meter out. Anything above 65 decibels at his receiving property line, is noise violation and i have to stop/move further away.

Now the question is if his property line is 450ft away from where i take my shots, does a .308 carry over 65d at his line
Rwrighttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:30 PM #84

Guess that would require you discharging said caliber during the sound test (hint, hint) !

hey, Hey, HEY! You heard it here first: IVANKA for POTUS, 2024!!!!!!!
slsc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:34 PM #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsc98 View Post
Guess that would require you discharging said caliber during the sound test (hint, hint) !
that caliber being .22lr? lol
Rwrighttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:37 PM #86

LOL, if you have a S&W M&P 15-22, that’d be perfect - looks just like an AR and I can see your neighbors head explode when the Deputy Sheriff is packing the sound meter back in its case shaking his head at that neighbor for wasting his time

hey, Hey, HEY! You heard it here first: IVANKA for POTUS, 2024!!!!!!!
slsc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 11:12 PM #87

I wonder what law enforcement agency has a forensic sound measuring device for such a charge to ever be worth the court time. They attack alcohol testing and it's needs for chain of custody, maintenance, records, user training, etc. A sound meter?
FrankOceanXray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:56 PM #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwrighttt View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. Due to the increase in ammo prices, this is giving me some time to evaluate my range rather than using it. Im going to look into moving further back, away from this neighbor. That way he cant "see my rifles barrels".

I called the local sheriffs office and was told if your 150yds away from his house, they cant tell me to stop. If homeowner requests a decibel check, they will bring a meter out. Anything above 65 decibels at his receiving property line, is noise violation and i have to stop/move further away.

Now the question is if his property line is 450ft away from where i take my shots, does a .308 carry over 65d at his line
I know a few deputies in Calvert. if your 150 yards away , and you have the proper back stop. there is nothing your neighbor can do. make sure the muzzle are facing away from your neighbors. and the noise will travel away from him. I have heard several stories like yours over the years. if you do your part the police will tell the neighbor to pack sand !! there is no reason if you have the land and a proper back stop , that you cant shoot on your own property!! and the sheriff's department will back you up !!
Boss94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:58 PM #89

the law reads 150 yards from his dwelling. not the property line.
Boss94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 09:09 PM #90

The proximity law is to dwelling . The noise law is at Your property line .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland