• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I've been interested in becoming an apprentice falconer for a while now and am actively searching for a sponsor. I'm located in St. Mary's but would be prepared to travel within reason to learn. I have family on the Eastern Shore and am considering relocating over there to finish my degree so that me be another option.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've been interested in becoming an apprentice falconer for a while now and am actively searching for a sponsor. I'm located in St. Mary's but would be prepared to travel within reason to learn. I have family on the Eastern Shore and am considering relocating over there to finish my degree so that me be another option.

Hey JoeMac, a buddy of mine down in Budds Creek got his wings last year and the only guy he could find is in Calvert. I can certainly try to find out who the gentleman in Calvert is.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    That would be great. You can direct your friend to this thread too. I found a guy in Harwood (AA County) that wants me to go with him this season and if I show the commitment he will sponsor me early next year. If I can find someone closer that would be better for me.

The SOMD Audubon Society has a falconry demonstration in Calvert in Nov. I think. I was planning on attending it to try to find some local people.

Thanks for the help btw

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    First you must find a sponsor willing to sign for you. Then you take the test. Upon passing you must have your mews (bird housing) inspected. Upon successful inspection you are issued a license (not immediately though) and are permitted to purchase or trap a raptor.

Raptors are protected under both federal and state jurisdiction and are highly regulated.

Go to the MD DNR website and find the falconry page. They will send you a packet with all the information. The permitting process is a little over a $100 not including housing or test taking.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I think it would be cool.
    Especially if you had the holiday hawk.

Seriously. Good luck. It sounds very manly!

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    I'm interested as well as a post retirement gig. That would be 2 years, 10 months, and 8 days.
    Search or go onto Maryland DNR Falconry.... webpage. All the info you need to know to get started is on there including a list of falconers willing to Sponsor an apprentice. Call them all...the worst thing that can happen is the word no.

Here's my male K-bird, which i am currently manning and will be taking out starlings soon enouph.
    cdc0c0a6cd54d605e71b3f03c436cb71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom