• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have hunted at BARC (Beltsville Agricultural Research Center) but was wondering if there are any places in Montgomery Country. Thanks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I hunted here on opening day with a shotgun.http://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/central/patuxentriver.aspx
    ON the HoCo, MoCo line. I will never go there again for gun season. I would go bow hunting there though.

I imagine opening day it sucks. Then again pretty much everything sucks opening day. If I were a betting man I’d put $20 that half the deer hunters in Maryland hunt only the opening day and not a single other day during the year.

Saturday’s during early gun season Patuxent can have a fair number (not what I’d consider crowded if you go more then 400yds from a parking area). Early muzzleloader, weekdays during bow, gun and all of the late seasons you can often get in there with no one else in the area or maybe one or two other guys somewhere in your few hundred acres.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    If it were me, I would find places with county parks and wooded areas that can't be hunted. Look for the deforestation deer cause up to 6' and knock on places near it that are probably dealing with the deer eating everything they have.

Granted you'll probably find a few people that want to yell at you but you move on. You might find some begging you to shoot them off their deck even though you can't with the safety rules with distance to their neighbors. They might know people they can point you too. Years ago I had customers in Howard and Montgomery that the first years said "How could you kill them." A few years later they approached me and one even said i could beat them with a bat if I wanted too. My how people chnage when those pretty deer cost them money. ;)

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I imagine opening day it sucks. Then again pretty much everything sucks opening day. If I were a betting man I’d put $20 that half the deer hunters in Maryland hunt only the opening day and not a single other day during the year.

Saturday’s during early gun season Patuxent can have a fair number (not what I’d consider crowded if you go more then 400yds from a parking area). Early muzzleloader, weekdays during bow, gun and all of the late seasons you can often get in there with no one else in the area or maybe one or two other guys somewhere in your few hundred acres.

Almost anyplace Public will be crowded opening day of firearms. Those same places are much less crowded during the week, and pretty good for all bow and ML seasons. I skip opening gun now.

Oh, I knew what to expect for the number of hunters, but the number of A-holes that decided to get there just before or after sunrise and start trouncing their way down the trails or through the woods was just unbelievable. We counted at least 16 deer taken out of there by 2pm. Who knows how many we didn't see. I would definitely go back any other time.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    McKee Beshers, Monocacy NRA, managed hunts in Little Bennett, I think you can bow hunt in Great Seneca in certain areas. And now, your backyard so long as you're 50yd from an occupied dwelling (unless you have written permission) and are in a tree stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom