• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeathBeforeDishonor

Wildlife Consultant
    Jan 14, 2017
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    That's too funny! Where in my text did I say or imply I was God's gift to 'shed horn' hunting?
    As for numbers, I've done OK. I was not reared on a farm, so you may have me there.
    Now to the matter of counting points on my horns. I doesn't use the calculus to counts them points. I gets by just a using my fingers and toes. As far as leaving the big horns in the woods for the squirrels, I usually leave the spike-horns and the broken up ones for them. The big ones, I bring home. Some I give to friends who ask for them and sometimes I give them to my personal pet squirrels what lives in my trees.

I'm assuming you didn't catch my sarcasm on leaving big antlers. I just thought it was funny because of your field expertise regarding check in with DNR. I do leave some small skulls behind so you don't come out empty handed, that would be rude :sad20:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm assuming you didn't catch my sarcasm on leaving big antlers. I just thought it was funny because of your field expertise regarding check in with DNR. I do leave some small skulls behind so you don't come out empty handed, that would be rude :sad20:

And don't think I don't appreciate it, cause I really do DBD :lol2:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    fresh.JPG Pretty fresh, found in woods today. Last sighted with both antlers Jan. 8

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    View attachment 196071 Pretty fresh, found in woods today. Last sighted with both antlers Jan. 8

One year I was hunting the Saturday of the late two day gun season. The first deer I saw was a mature doe with a bad limp. She seemed to be really laboring from an injury so I killed her. Throughout the day, groups of deer were moving through my woods and I focused on killing only the wounded deer(I saw no shooter bucks). All told, I killed three limping 'does'. When it came time to gather up all the carcasses, I realized they were all bucks. All 2.5 YO bucks. Due to the stress of their injuries, they had all cast early. Usually, most the deer around here don't cast until the end of March. My butcher couldn't believe it. They were all donated to FHFH.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, its funny, some seemed to start to drop early this year and there was the usual broken damaged racks towards the end of regular ML. I wonder if its a hormonal imbalance that occurs when there's no more does coming hot in the area and above average temps. Alot of the larger bucks seem to manage to hold out till Feb or Mid march. Whats interesting to me is how that sometimes you can see the bone mass that comes off with the cast antler and even though there's more weight involved, I think its the larger purchase area at the base that makes them stick and maybe its the beginning of new growth that really knocks them off. I 100% agree sickness or injury really makes them come off fast and you can see and smell infection.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah, its funny, some seemed to start to drop early this year and there was the usual broken damaged racks towards the end of regular ML. I wonder if its a hormonal imbalance that occurs when there's no more does coming hot in the area and above average temps. Alot of the larger bucks seem to manage to hold out till Feb or Mid march. Whats interesting to me is how that sometimes you can see the bone mass that comes off with the cast antler and even though there's more weight involved, I think its the larger purchase area at the base that makes them stick and maybe its the beginning of new growth that really knocks them off. I 100% agree sickness or injury really makes them come off fast and you can see and smell infection.

I've seen younger bucks running around here in mid April still sporting bone.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    They are starting to drop them in Harford. I've found 2 while checking traps, same farm, today and last week. I will def be scouring this farm in march. The one from today is a nice one.

Attachments

• shedantlerjan3117b.jpg
      shedantlerjan3117b.jpg
      148.4 KB · Views: 254
    • shedantlerjan3117c.jpg
      shedantlerjan3117c.jpg
      89 KB · Views: 248

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    They are starting to drop them in Harford. I've found 2 while checking traps, same farm, today and last week. I will def be scouring this farm in march. The one from today is a nice one.

Dang that's pretty good, won't be able to get until next week but hoping we find some this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

wow thats a nice one!

Ours start dropping around 22 dec, weather must have something to do with it. Snow is deep and prevents me from getting out much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom