• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    OK great now I understand.
    I wanted to at least upgrade the handguard so I could add a vertical hand grip and that is probably as far as I will go for now. I will just work on shooting, shighting it in and making sure it is reliable. I do have quite a few gunsmith in my area. But like you said I need to find one that is good and know the AR.

The Magpul handguard is an upgrade from what you have and you can easily attach a grip to it using a magpul m-lok grip. You can also add rails for a light or a sling attachment.

The Magpul handguard is a straight drop in part and requires no smithing or removal of parts sans the old handguard. I had one on a 16" DPMS HBAR upper and it worked well for what it was. If you're not really going to shoot past 100yds don't worry too much about free floated handguards. If you really want one it would have been better to have bought a rifle with one already installed.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Wow thank you guys. A lot of information you guys are really awesome in helping a noob understand this system and how to help me understand it. Not one of you were condescending rude or said anything negative to me. What a great community. Thank you again!

So last night I took some time in taking the gun apart and reassembling it multiple times trying to lean it in side and out. Fortunate for me one of my best friends was there. Unfortunate for me (lol) he is a gunnery sergeant USMC and current daily job requires him to carry a side arm and M4 with 120 rounds. So i now have been getting a lot of help from him on this system with take down, field stripping, clearing jams, stance and how to hold the weapon. He even has loaded my mags with random dummy rounds so while in the process of shooting, I can clear the miss fire and stay or target and charge a new round into the chamber without looking. I mess it up a lot but I am getting it. But I am in full education mode here. I Strip This rifle 15 times. Next he said we will do it blind folded. He also said something about learning a poem the starts out... THIS IS MY RIFLE.....

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    A lot of people push the Magpul stuff, and I certainly have my share of their products on my rifles.

One thing you could do, which would cost a bit less but give you a cool look is to just change colors.

The last rifle I built was an XM 177 (ish) look.... In green. (not OD green)

The piece that sets it off is the CARbine handguard, which is thinner than the M4 and looks cool. Do what you want, just throwing this out. I went full Magpul on my first gun, but now I am liking "less" Magpul.

Attachments

• AR_105.jpg
      AR_105.jpg
      120.1 KB · Views: 85

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    True the only Magpul stuff I like now are the slimline stocks and PMAGS. I only suggested the handguard because it would make it really easy to add a grip and it's a 2 minute swap out. I don't care for the Magpul grips at all and stick with Hogue.

That's the nice thing about ARs you can make them to your liking and your tastes will change as you shoot them more often.

Then you start buying more ARs because you need to fill a niche, and then you need optics, red dots, mounts, lights, lasers, magnifiers, grips, slings, and down the rabbit hole you go.....

Good luck Andy, you might want to apply for a new credit card.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    haha

True the only Magpul stuff I like now are the slimline stocks and PMAGS. I only suggested the handguard because it would make it really easy to add a grip and it's a 2 minute swap out. I don't care for the Magpul grips at all and stick with Hogue.

That's the nice thing about ARs you can make them to your liking and your tastes will change as you shoot them more often.

Then you start buying more ARs because you need to fill a niche, and then you need optics, red dots, mounts, lights, lasers, magnifiers, grips, slings, and down the rabbit hole you go.....

Good luck Andy, you might want to apply for a new credit card.

yeah like others have stated... damn, I just found this take down pin with nothing to add it to... well, better build another AR to put it on :)

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Guys could I get a good recommendation on a good gun cleaning kit. One that will cover a little of everything. Shot guns, hand guns (9mm only right now) and the AR... Oh and 30-06. I have bits and pieces and I see that there seems to be a good cleaner and I see every one uses an oil syringe now instead of right out of the bottle. Thanks

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Guys could I get a good recommendation on a good gun cleaning kit. One that will cover a little of everything. Shot guns, hand guns (9mm only right now) and the AR... Oh and 30-06. I have bits and pieces and I see that there seems to be a good cleaner and I see every one uses an oil syringe now instead of right out of the bottle. Thanks

I like the Otis system for my rifles and pistols. For shotguns I prefer bore snakes.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=190079

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom