• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    What's a good saltwater jig head to use with Gulps and Bass Assassin Split Tail Shad? Going to be doing some inshore fishing in the Carolinas soon and am gearing up. (Trout, Redfish, Flounder, Stripers, etc...)

Should I get 1/2 - 1 oz jigs or just stick to one size?

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    Good ones are hard to find.
    It really depends on your water depth as too weight.
    If your using gulp swimming mullet hook sizes will be too large over about 3/8s
    For shad look for short shank hooks on your jigs. Long ones impede the action

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There are some really good shops down there on the Banks. I'll deffer you to them. A good assortment of sizes and types would be wise. We've had great success in the past fishing bridge pilings in the Sound for catch and release striper fishing using that method.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    There are some really good shops down there on the Banks. I'll deffer you to them. A good assortment of sizes and types would be wise. We've had great success in the past fishing bridge pilings in the Sound for catch and release striper fishing using that method.

Cool! I'll be in Topsail but will be stopping in Corolla for a day or two.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I would go for multiple sizes. You never know what kind of depth you need to get to or if you have to cast further, you may want more weight. There is a need for all of them at some point in time. Look for good quality paint and eyes. Good luck down there!

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    All I can add, different colors/tails work on different days. A selection allows you to adapt to what they prefer any given day. Also, I've found some jigs are made with name-brand hooks, Gamakatsu, etc. Worth every dime to get a truly sharp hook. I also have a small hook sharpening stone to sharpen regular jig hooks; amazing how dull some new hooks can be. Finally, consider the Hopkins spoon. The single hook models with some sort of teaser added works wonders for me down there. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom