• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Looking for first hand knowledge and approximate cost.
    Will check out the harrisburg show in feb. for information also.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Been twice. Great time both times. First time in 2001, next time 5 years later. Shot 230 lb sow 1st trip (was fighting with other sow w/cubs - thought was a boar). Foggy Mountain Outfitters. Big reputation, lousy service on the hunt but CRAZY AWESOME private lakefront cabin on Lake Sebec.

2nd trip was better guide experience, and saw bears but held off for big one that never came. Still fun watching the small ones. Patten Hunting Lodge, Bill Finney. He always comes to Harrisburg. Located North of Mt, Katahdin in Patten, ME. I recommend Bill, in fact I’m about 60% now that I’m signing up again this year myself. In 2006 (or 2007?) it cost $1,000 flat, not sure now. Small comfy wood cabins, main house with dining & showers. 2 good meals per day, breakfast & dinner. Lunch packed for you to take to field. His website says it’s down, but his Farcebook is saying he’ll be at H’Burg. Give him a visit.

Really plenty of guides in the area, beautiful country. You won’t be disappointed.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Looking for first hand knowledge and approximate cost.
    Will check out the harrisburg show in feb. for information also.

Do you want to bait hunt or run with hounds?

I know of two places up there. One place only does bait and the other only does hounds.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Patten Lodge I mentioned does both. And deer, and moose, and coyote, and upland.....

That's a good way to go. A portion of hound season overlaps with bait. When I was up there we ran the hounds in the morning and if we had no luck, the guide let me sit on bait at night.

That guy is no longer in the business but I know of the other two places from a good friend of mine who does Taxidermy work up there.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I've done it a few times. Got my biggest bear with a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Maine is a spot you can hand gun hunt and hunt over bait.
    Hunting over bait for bear is not at all a sure thing. They are very smart and they range over wide areas.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Been twice. Great time both times. First time in 2001, next time 5 years later. Shot 230 lb sow 1st trip (was fighting with other sow w/cubs - thought was a boar). Foggy Mountain Outfitters. Big reputation, lousy service on the hunt but CRAZY AWESOME private lakefront cabin on Lake Sebec.

2nd trip was better guide experience, and saw bears but held off for big one that never came. Still fun watching the small ones. Patten Hunting Lodge, Bill Finney. He always comes to Harrisburg. Located North of Mt, Katahdin in Patten, ME. I recommend Bill, in fact I’m about 60% now that I’m signing up again this year myself. In 2006 (or 2007?) it cost $1,000 flat, not sure now. Small comfy wood cabins, main house with dining & showers. 2 good meals per day, breakfast & dinner. Lunch packed for you to take to field. His website says it’s down, but his Farcebook is saying he’ll be at H’Burg. Give him a visit.

Really plenty of guides in the area, beautiful country. You won’t be disappointed.

I will have to visit him at the show,. Thanks
    Would like to bait hunt hounds just don't feel right to me except for rabbits and birds.

Bsmtboy2

Oct 27, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Been 1 time with my dad and his brother, uncle had .44 and dad and I had 30.06 ...I was 16 and we sat on bear bait, all of a sudden my uncle says RUN.....bull moose chased us we were about 800 yards from Canadian border. I never wanted to do it again.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Been 1 time with my dad and his brother, uncle had .44 and dad and I had 30.06 ...I was 16 and we sat on bear bait, all of a sudden my uncle says RUN.....bull moose chased us we were about 800 yards from Canadian border. I never wanted to do it again.
    Yeah, they’re cool on TV, but in person a bull moose at close range can make the sphincter tighten up a bit. An impressive animal to say the least.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    I have been a couple of times. The guide we used charged $1k over bait or $1200 for hounds for a five day hunt. I spend about 2k total for the guide, food, lodging and license.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I only have gone to Maine for deer, but I hunted in Patten at Bowlin Camps. Sound like the same place that i went to. http://www.bowlincamps.com We loved the place. Hospitality is great and the food was good. I will be at Harrisburg on Sunday and Monday talking to some outfitters looking for a place to go deer hunting in Maine. My friends don't want to go bear hunting. Make sure you talk to the guys with the Maine Tourist Center or Dept of Wildlife (can't think of the name and it is driving me crazy) but they will give you a knowledgeable and unbiased opinions.

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD

Were there pheasants on the glasses at the cabin???

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    My old pal! By your screen name I can’t figure out quite who you are, but the pheasant glasses kinda narrows it down to three! F’ing awesome, yes. Yes there were pheasants on the glasses! Too funny to run into you (one of you) on here! PM me when you get a chance.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I’ve been half hearted trying for a Bear for a few years. Drew a MD tag a few years back, which was unsuccessful on a harvest. I drew a tag two years ago on a lottery for bear during WV rifle deer. I saw a sow with three cubs, so no shot there. And this past November, the county I hunt in WV went over the counter for bear during deer rifle, I didn’t see one. The Wife and I went to Harrisburg today, and I wound up booking a bear hunt in Maine. Talked to several guides, there are so many there almost too hard to keep straight. I’m going 9/9-9/16. Price was $1375.00. Booked with Gary Greaves, Black Bear Outfitters of Maine.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I’m going 9/9-9/16. Price was $1375.00. Booked with Gary Greaves, Black Bear Outfitters of Maine.

I'm pretty sure that's where my nephews stepfather goes to bear hunt. They always had good success with him.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I've interviewed MANY Maine outfitters regarding bear hunting.
    Many (NOT ALL) are hunting over bait.
    I won't be taken to a tree stand, then be told to sit all day over a bucket of jelly doughnuts (or equivalent) and wait for the bear.
    Not my cup of tea.
    Check out what they are offering.
    Let your own ethics decide what's right for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom