• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    The past two years I've driven to Kansas to hunt upland birds. I picked Kansas for two reasons: the state's well organized walk-in-hunting land program that gives me access to many, many thousands of acres, and because the only time I could go was late December, when it was too late in the year to go to ND or SD.

But I didn't have a ton of success in Kansas. I was in the North Central section of the state both years and the local hunters I encountered all reported that the bird numbers just aren't what they used to be and seem to be trending in the wrong direction.

So I am looking to try something new next season! This year I will be able to travel in late October or early November, which will let me try some of those more northern states.

If you are primarily a mid-Atlantic hunter who has traveled west in pursuit of hunting opportunities, please share your experiences and recommendations.

My primary mission is to hunt upland birds with my dog, since I can hunt waterfowl and deer here in Maryland/Virginia. But of course I also love big game and waterfowling, so if there is a place where I can do both, let me know your thoughts on that too.

I am sort of leaning towards trying Wisconsin because I would have a free place to stay in the central part of that state and it's a much shorter drive than the Dakotas. But my main thing is finding a great hunting opportunity on public/walk-in private lands. So I am willing to travel/do what it takes.

Thanks!

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I have had incredible upland game hunts in South Eastern South Dakota (near Aberdeen, SD) and Northwestern IA. We had several days (3 out of 4 days, last time I went) when we limited out by 1pm and you can't even start hunting until after 12 noon in SD. I know that the last few years have been poor conditions for the hatch so the bird populations are down from past years but the hunting in SD is still some of the best upland game hunting I have ever experience.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    The link below has information on bird hunting and lands in WI.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/fflight.html

This link has info on private lands open for public access in WI. Landowners get a tax break if they open their land for public access.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/forestlandowners/opentopublicapp.html

I have land in SW WI and I'm from that area. Overall Iowa and the Dakotas are better for pheasant, but a longer distance to travel. There are some areas in WI shown on the map that are stocked but they can get a lot of pressure. I mainly deer and turkey hunt now when I get back there, not much other bird hunting.

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    Not wanting to Hi-Jac this thread BUT I would also like to now of states that have Decent Cottontail Rabbit populations

Thanx,
    Jim

Last edited:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Not a highjack at all, Hippy.

FWIW, my best success in Kansas this year was taking a jack rabbit! I had never even seen one in person and then out of nowhere my dog started tracking something and ended up locating the rabbit and pushing it my way. It was huge! It might have weighed 25 lbs. It was delicious and tasted more like venison than rabbit. The three of us couldn't finish it in one meal. This was in Jewell County, Kansas. I think that is the far eastern edge of their range but I'm not an expert. I was very surprised to see this cat sized animal with bugged out eyes running at me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom