• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Its been years since i've been out squirrel hunting but i'm going to take my son out this week.

I'm going through my old stash of #6 shot and figure any of them should do the job, but is there one of these 3 boxes that I should use over the other? It seems odd to me that a dove load would have more powder that a squirrel load :confused:
    I’d go with the Heavy Dove load, according to the box same powder weight but 1/8 more ounce of shot. Squirrels hide and muscle is fairly tough. Frequently a full blast from a shotgun only results in a single, maybe two pellets getting thru to do the damage. That extra 1/8 oz of shot might make the difference. Wouldn’t use the Turkey load, even though it seems a bit light for turkey, it still is designed to blow the head clean off a 20 lb bird. It might be too strong for squirrel. Either way, good luck to you both.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Maybe the sell a lighter dove load too? Ive never squirrel hunted with a shotgun though but either should work. Good luck and happy hunting! Where are you going to hunt? I havent been able to get out since i last posted this but soon hopefully.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I’d go with the Heavy Dove load, according to the box same powder weight but 1/8 more ounce of shot. Squirrels hide and muscle is fairly tough. Frequently a full blast from a shotgun only results in a single, maybe two pellets getting thru to do the damage. That extra 1/8 oz of shot might make the difference. Wouldn’t use the Turkey load, even though it seems a bit light for turkey, it still is designed to blow the head clean off a 20 lb bird. It might be too strong for squirrel. Either way, good luck to you both.

The heavy dove load was my thought too for the same reason :thumbsup:

I'm no turkey hunter, but It does seem odd that they make a #6 turkey load :confused:

Maybe the sell a lighter dove load too? Ive never squirrel hunted with a shotgun though but either should work. Good luck and happy hunting! Where are you going to hunt? I havent been able to get out since i last posted this but soon hopefully.

Going to my buddys place near Sugarloaf mountain. He has an abundance of squirrels, however i'm willing to bet we'll only only see trophy bucks and no squirrels since we are squirrel hunting. Murphys Law you know :rolleyes:

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    The heavy dove load was my thought too for the same reason

I'm no turkey hunter, but It does seem odd that they make a #6 turkey load :confused:

Going to my buddys place near Sugarloaf mountain. He has an abundance of squirrels, however i'm willing to bet we'll only only see trophy bucks and no squirrels since we are squirrel hunting. Murphys Law you know :rolleyes:
    Haha always, Good luck and be safe!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The heavy dove load was my thought too for the same reason :thumbsup:

If you Squirrel hunt you see an 8 point buck.
    If you deer hunt you see a Tom Turkey
    If you Turkey hunt you see a 10lb bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    If you Squirrel hunt you see an 8 point buck.
    If you deer hunt you see a Tom Turkey
    If you Turkey hunt you see a 10lb bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what happened to my boy last month. We hadn't been seeing deer so he wanted to go after squirrel that evening. He no sooner gets the magazine seated in his .22 when a 6 pt buck comes strolling through.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I shot one 3 times in my yard with my bb gun. The last time he tried to jump onto a branch and fell into my neighbor's yard. I didn't see where it landed and knew my neighbor's wife was home so I scooted back into the house. I came out a few minutes later to go deer hunting and the lady was in her yard and exclaimed that a squirrel was laying on her picnic table dead. I said that it must've fell out of the tree...those things happen...

:innocent0

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I'd love to clear some pesky squirrels off my deer lease, but I won't kill it if I won't eat it and I don't eat rodents.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My neighbor and I went out squirrel hunting tonight and came home with 4 squirrels. Its been so long since I've been, I forgot how much fun squirrel hunting is, we had a great time :thumbsup:

I would have had my limit, but I need to work on my shotgun skills :rolleyes:

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I’ve been out a few times this season. Got 2 last Saturday, and 4 the Saturday before that. I only go out a few hours in the mornings.
    Tomorrow the whole gang is going, my brother, his son, my cousin, my son and myself. Going to a good spot, so hopefully we’ll have good luck.
    Afterwards, we’re headed to the FREDERICK gun show.

If you want a kid to get into hunting squirrel, or really any small game or waterfowl hunting the best way. You don’t have to be super quite, and there is usually a lot of opportunity’s to shoot. Sitting in a stand deer hunting, gets boring, especially when you’re not seeing anything.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Must have had 30 of the little bastards in the woods around the house today while I was working from home. Thought about breaking the 22 out. Saw the same damn 2 big ass woody wood peckers digging huge holes in the trees! Then saw at least a dozen deer heading for the field! Must have been a celebration of non sub freezing temperatures.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Well, the 5 of us went out this morning, we ended up getting 2 more no in the picture, for a total of 10.
    We had a great time, and will have some great meals as well.

Attachments

• 14D9B71B-FD89-4F14-8332-0F62A7E5600A.jpg
      14D9B71B-FD89-4F14-8332-0F62A7E5600A.jpg
      67 KB · Views: 78

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads