• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Looking at some mid grade Vortex Diamondback scopes. Has anyone
    ever used one and had good results, or bad results?

I'm looking at a 3.5 X10 X 50 or 4X12X40. Its going on a Remington 700
    in .223 for ground pigs and Coyote.

Any feedback is appreciated

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I have several Vortex optics. Their Diamondback Tactical First Focal Plane optics are bargains. I have both their 4-6x44mm and 6-24x50mm optics in this line and they are great. The 6-24x50mm is mounted on my R700 in .308.

The glass is clear, reticles are sharp, the first focal plane is worth it, turrets are easy to adjust. Vortex is basically Nightforce but more production oriented.

You really can't go wrong with them as mid-end scopes. Even my high-end stuff has a hard time competing with it in terms of cost vs. quality vs. features. I'll lose zero stops to save $300.

Matt

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Looking at some mid grade Vortex Diamondback scopes. Has anyone
    ever used one and had good results, or bad results?

I'm looking at a 3.5 X10 X 50 or 4X12X40. Its going on a Remington 700
    in .223 for ground pigs and Coyote.

Any feedback is appreciated

I have 3 vortex scopes and love them for what they are. Before you pull the trigger on one join expertcity. If you haven’t already hit me up so we can get you the special pricing

Expertcity formerly promotive. I could even swing by your work one morning if you need help setting it up but I’m currently on FMLA.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I have several Vortex Viper VPR's and several of the now discontinued Nikon Buckmasters. In my opinion, they are equal. For the price range, they have accurate adjustments with crystal clear optics . You can't go wrong!!!
    :thumbsup:

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    I have 3 vortex scopes and love them for what they are. Before you pull the trigger on one join expertcity. If you haven’t already hit me up so we can get you the special pricing

Expertcity formerly promotive. I could even swing by your work one morning if you need help setting it up but I’m currently on FMLA.

How does expertcity work? Do you have to be a government employee to be eligible?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Great quality to dollar ratio. Not the best optics out there but easily worth the asking price.

The Razor line are pretty good optics.

I know when the latest Razor HD came out, a number of people over on Sniper's Hide took Schmidt & Bender, Kahles, and other high end scopes off for the Vortex.

Not the the Razor HD is a cheap scope. :D

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I have several Vortex scopes and had a Diamondback with a BDC in 4 X 12. It was a good scope. This was purchased about 7 years back so they have probably corrected the issue, but I remember the turret clicks being a bit "mushy" and non-distinct. At any rate, it held a solid "0" on a sporter weight 30-06, so it was no biggie at the end of the day.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I own a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24. It's dead sexy and dead on--love it. Purchased through Experticity a couple of years ago. Good pricing-- I would also encourage you to look at Sport Optics https://www.sportoptics.com/rifle-scopes.aspx . They have great pricing and shipping-- they were willing to match Experticity pricing on other optics I ordered (if they aren't already lower) and they are optics professionals that know their stuff and very helpful with questions and the technical aspects. If Curt Montgomery is still around there he's a great resource. He likely wouldn't remember me but...he was very helpful.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I'm currently considering the Sig Tango 4 or Viper PST Gen 2.

I have both brands.

If you have the money, you'll love the Tango4. I love the Tango4. I have a Vortex HST on my Ruger PRS and it is a good optic. Almost equal to the Tango4. My Vortex optic is now discontinued and I got it on sale. Their FFP optics are generally as expensive as the SIG scopes except for the Diamondback.

That said, I'd recommend the Tango4 first. I'll put those on first if I can get my hands on them. But I can buy two Vortex Diamondbacks for the price of one Tango4. But when SIG glass goes on sale, jump on it.

Vortex is my "budget" glass. SIG is my preference glass. If you're willing to spend the money you'll not regret the SIG glass. I have a Tango4 6-24x50mm FFP MOA on my Tikka T3x and I've done 1000 yard shots with it. Clear as day and very easy to work with.

Matt

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I own a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24. It's dead sexy and dead on--love it. Purchased through Experticity a couple of years ago. Good pricing-- I would also encourage you to look at Sport Optics https://www.sportoptics.com/rifle-scopes.aspx . They have great pricing and shipping-- they were willing to match Experticity pricing on other optics I ordered (if they aren't already lower) and they are optics professionals that know their stuff and very helpful with questions and the technical aspects. If Curt Montgomery is still around there he's a great resource. He likely wouldn't remember me but...he was very helpful.

I am a BIG fan of Sport Optics. Great people to deal with, and extremely knowledgeable.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I have both brands.

If you have the money, you'll love the Tango4. I love the Tango4. I have a Vortex HST on my Ruger PRS and it is a good optic. Almost equal to the Tango4. My Vortex optic is now discontinued and I got it on sale. Their FFP optics are generally as expensive as the SIG scopes except for the Diamondback.

That said, I'd recommend the Tango4 first. I'll put those on first if I can get my hands on them. But I can buy two Vortex Diamondbacks for the price of one Tango4. But when SIG glass goes on sale, jump on it.

Vortex is my "budget" glass. SIG is my preference glass. If you're willing to spend the money you'll not regret the SIG glass. I have a Tango4 6-24x50mm FFP MOA on my Tikka T3x and I've done 1000 yard shots with it. Clear as day and very easy to work with.

Matt

Yeah, I'm probably going with the Sig. Good to hear you're liking it. It will be going on one of the new TC/Performance Center LRR in 6.5.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I have an original Diamondback 4-12x40. Hopefully the HP models are better because mine is nearly unusable over 9x. Other than that it's a great scope.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    What is the discount if you don't mind saying? Vortex extends a mil discount directly of 40%.

I think 40%. It’s the same just another venue for the discount. I’ve spoken to Virtex and was advised their LEO discounts are only on expertcity and they don’t do it direct from vortex if that makes sense.

I can’t call vortex and ask for a cop discount cuz their LEO program is through expertcity

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I think 40%. It’s the same just another venue for the discount. I’ve spoken to Virtex and was advised their LEO discounts are only on expertcity and they don’t do it direct from vortex if that makes sense.

I can’t call vortex and ask for a cop discount cuz their LEO program is through expertcity

This was my experience with the Vortex MIL discount as well. Their website directed me to go through Experticity... in 2017. Don't know if things have changed since then.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    This was my experience with the Vortex MIL discount as well. Their website directed me to go through Experticity... in 2017. Don't know if things have changed since then.

Hmm. I haven't actually bought from them because I needed a scope for Ed's class and they had discontinued the model I was interested in and hadn't released the updated one yet so I had to buy from third party. The man I spoke to made it seem like I could verify and purchase at 40% discount through their site but maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom