• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Or do all 357's chamber 38's?

Either way, I'm hoping to stay around 5-600.

Thanks in advance

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    All .357 revolvers will also chamber the .38special. I like Ruger revolvers for thier overall weight and strength. Smith and Wesson's are a more polished gun with a better factory trigger. Avoid Taurus like the plague.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The .357 round is just a stretched .38 Special case. (made longer so it will NOT fit in a .38 Special gun)

Please note, there are a number of other .38 caliber rounds out there. The only safe one to shoot in a .357 is a .38 Special.

GP-100 or 686.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    DocP, The GP-100 and Sp-101 are Rugers. I own one of each and am very fond of them. They can be had new in your price range. The 686 is S&W's flagship .357. It is a fine revolver and available used in your price range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually .38 Long Colt and .38 Short Colt are same as .38 Spl except for the shorter case lengths. Not long ago they would have been considerewd deader than door nails, but the cases are back in production, and .38 LC occasionally seen from smaller mfgs aiming at CAS market.

The .38 S&W is supposed to not fit in .38Spl chamber, But ...... given a ctg running on the small side, and a .38spl chamber running a little generous it will semifrequently actually fit. If so the pressures of .38S&W runn well lower than .38Spl.

But at the origional inquirery it was excessivly open ended. OP needs to narrow his desires to small, medium, medium-large, or large. And DA vs SA.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Sure, used. All things being equal, NIB, It's a Ruger GP-100, like the one shown to the left.

<----------<

Trust me I am not telling him not to get a Ruger GP-100 I have shot all three GP, 686 and Python and liked them all, all were 6 in stainless and the Ruger was the older model with the wood and rubber grips which is nicer than the current all rubber IMO.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Actually .38 Long Colt and .38 Short Colt are same as .38 Spl except for the shorter case lengths. Not long ago they would have been considerewd deader than door nails, but the cases are back in production, and .38 LC occasionally seen from smaller mfgs aiming at CAS market.

The .38 S&W is supposed to not fit in .38Spl chamber, But ...... given a ctg running on the small side, and a .38spl chamber running a little generous it will semifrequently actually fit. If so the pressures of .38S&W runn well lower than .38Spl.

But at the origional inquirery it was excessivly open ended. OP needs to narrow his desires to small, medium, medium-large, or large. And DA vs SA.

He did. He said $5-600 bucks. ASSUMING he is talking new, it narrows him down to Ruger, Ruger, or ugh, Ruger. Why even consider a Taurus POS. The only options he has left is barrel length, grips, finish, etc...

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Smith fans aren't as verbose as Ruger fanboys apparently. :D

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Very cool, thanks everyone. I'm gonna see if I can rent a ruger and if all goes well then I shall add it to the collection

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom