• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Going on a glock 23, any pros and cons to either one?

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Going on a glock 23, any pros and cons to either one?

Mepros seem brighter, and the little white circle around the tritium is easier to see in daylight. With Meps the circle is plastic. With the Trijicons I had in the past the circle was painted on.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I had a set of Trijicons on my duty G22 for 10 years. They dimmed considerably over time but I didn't realize how much until they were replaced. My new G19 has Meps and held side by side with the new Trij, the meps are indeed brighter. Either way, I like them both.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Ameriglo? I bought some of their night sights for my M&P, and liked them enough to have just bought a set for my Glock. They use Trijicon lamps though I think...seems most are saying they will not be as bright as Meprolights, but I don't have any first-hand experience to compare. I just know the sights that I did receive were very good quality.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have always owned meprolights. The orange ones don't seem to last as long as the green.

As a note, I din't even know there were orange ones. My experience is with green from both manufacturers.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ameriglo? I bought some of their night sights for my M&P, and liked them enough to have just bought a set for my Glock. They use Trijicon lamps though I think...seems most are saying they will not be as bright as Meprolights, but I don't have any first-hand experience to compare. I just know the sights that I did receive were very good quality.

IIRC ameriglo's are re-packaged trijicons (I think "Insight" also re-packages trijicons). I have mostly trijicons, however one of my 226's has mepro's and they are brighter. Glock factory night-sights suck, but I think trijicon and meprolite are decidedly non-sucky.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    One thing to look out for with the Trijicons...

Like someone said, the white ring is painted on and gun cleaner WILL remove it. I didn't know about this and cleaned my glock a few times, now the white ring is almost gone. It makes it a lot harder to pick up the front site(esp on a black target). I wasn't exactly scrubbing the sight with a toothbrush either, just cleaned the slide with Hoppe's 9 a few times and it was gone. I'm actually a little surprised that it was so easy to remove. I don't know why they don't fix that, knowing that the slide is gonna get dirty.

The Meprolight's are sealed and don't have this problem. I prefer the mep's anyway, they seem bigger/easier to pick up to me.

Both are very bright, so that is a non issue really. The Meprolights that I have on my glock 21 are orange/green combo. The orange is dimmer than the green, but not much. This also helps with picking up the front site because its brighter. (Not that i plan on target practicing at night anyway).

Overall, the sight picture with the Mep's is why I chose them. If they both looked the same to me, I would still get them because of the white ring issue. I Feel like, for the $90 or more price tag, the Trijicons should be more durable.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Any recommendations where to pick up meprolight green/orange at a fair price?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Any recommendations where to pick up meprolight green/orange at a fair price?

You will regret going with another color besides green. The lifespan of the tritium is greatly reduced with other colors (Red, Orange, Yellow), youll be lucky to get 4 good years of illumunation.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Scratch the last message, I looked around, got a good idea of price and just grabbed a set for 82 shipped

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom