• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Researching some things to do to the ladies Glock 19. Its coming with a 3.5lb connector, which I think shell love. I know she wants the extended slide release and mag release. I was thinking some other good accents would be:

4lb striker spring
    comp trigger spring(reduces pull .5lb)
    18lb recoil spring

How do those mods sound? Am I missing anything? I did think about a comp barrel but thats way more money than all the other stuff and thought it wouldnt do much without the slide. I figure that this stuff will make the trigger pull easier, clean it up any slop, reduce recoil. All making it more fun and enjoyable for her to shoot. I know she doesnt mind the recoil of the glock 19 but I think that if it was reduced she would want to shoot even more. Plus she likes making things hers. Hence the whole pink thing lol. Which I believe is not going to be done..I think shes found a place to get a whole new frame already done for 90 bux.

Has anyone done anything with changing out the recoil springs before? The smallest load she would be shooting is 115gr fmj's, win white box or fed champion.

Will all those trigger mods make the trigger too easy, causing safety issues?

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I have done trigger jobs on Glocks that I would not put in the hands of a novice shooter. Too short and too light can make for an unsafe gun in the hands of a novice. When I first did my personal G17 trigger and shot it for the first time, I double tapped it with out meaning to. Stay with the 3.5 disconnector for a while, then ease in to the other mods. Slide release would be a big plus for her. It will make it easy to work for smaller hands. I am not a fan of the extended mag release. They seem cunbersome to me, but others may like them. Just my 2 cents ;)

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I only ever recommend three changes to a Glock. Extended slide release, extended mag release, night sights. Still, it's her gun so let her experiment with it. I would not mess with the trigger.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Messing with a Glock Trigger (Beyond changing the Connector) is bad for a defensive gun, for reliability reasons. Theres too high of a chance with light strikes with lighter springs.

In my experience Extended Mag Releases cause mags to pop out accidentally in certain holsters and carry methods. I dont like them.

Side Stops are a personal thing. I dont like them because slingshotting the slide should be the way to run a Glock IMHO.

If your planning on getting the frame and slide Duracoated, I wouldnt. Paint on plastic guns that are carried wont last, it WILL wear off and show a diferent color when the high spots wear. If its just a nightstand or range gun then paint away, but for a serious use gun the finish WILL come off, noi matter who applies it.

If you dont have one already get her a Pistol LULA Loader, you will thank me later. :)

Best accessory fo rthat gun is sights, ammo, good holster/mag carriers, and pistol classes. If you cant afford that then sights, ammo, good holster/mag carrier and a Magpul Dynamic Handgun Class

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    After putting on Warren sights, I call my glocks done. Never had a problem finding the mag release, and I don't use the slide release. It's a simple tool that works well as is (excepting the sights). Put the $ into training and ammo and your wife and it will be a far more efficient pair than any mods made to the glock by itself.

Milling the slide for an RMR...? that may cause me to redefine "done." :)

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Researching some things to do to the ladies Glock 19. Its coming with a 3.5lb connector, which I think shell love. I know she wants the extended slide release and mag release. I was thinking some other good accents would be:

4lb striker spring
    18lb recoil spring

How do those mods sound? Am I missing anything? I did think about a comp barrel but thats way more money than all the other stuff and thought it wouldnt do much without the slide. I figure that this stuff will make the trigger pull easier, clean it up any slop, reduce recoil. All making it more fun and enjoyable for her to shoot. I know she doesnt mind the recoil of the glock 19 but I think that if it was reduced she would want to shoot even more. Plus she likes making things hers. Hence the whole pink thing lol. Which I believe is not going to be done..I think shes found a place to get a whole new frame already done for 90 bux.

Has anyone done anything with changing out the recoil springs before? The smallest load she would be shooting is 115gr fmj's, win white box or fed champion.

You are over thinking it. Glocks are perfect right out of the box. Spend your money on ammo and run the hell out of it. Champion Glock shooters use bone stock G34's. If anything the extended slide release isn't a bad idea. Order the factory slide release and mag release from the G34. If you really wanna get her hooked on shooting take her to a GSSF match. They are low pressure and a ton of fun.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

4lb striker spring
    18lb recoil spring

How is any of that going to reduce recoil? There are only so many ways to reduce recoil, reduce the velocity of the round or reduce the bullet weight and maintain the velocity. Adding mass to the gun also works.

Does this lady have any formal training? If not, please sign her up for training. Second, shoot the gun, stock configuration, for at least 500 rounds. Then decide what to change.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Ok so Im taking all the trigger work off the list, except the connector, thats already in there.

Extended slide release is a must. She has tiny hands and fumbles with it when trying to lock the slide back. Shes 50/50 when it comes to slingshotting the slide or using the release.

Same reasons for the mag release, she fumbles a little when trying to drop the mag in any pistol, the G19 included. She probably will never carry it so it sticking out isnt that big of a deal.

Extended slide lock would be good for her since she has trouble taking the pistol apart. (she practices on mine)

Milling the slide? RMR? Whats all that? Sounds complicated.

The parts from the 34 will fit the 19? I though I saw differences from when ordering parts online. Alot of the parts say for full frame models only or compact etc. I def want her to have Glock parts, Im sure aftermarket stuff is good but if theres a chance to have the original manufacture's stuff, Id take that in a heartbeat.

As for the recoil spring, a heavier one will reduce felt recoil wont it? I read a little bit on it, but I prefer to ask others instead of taking the word from an ad.

Shes learned what my buddies and I have taught her, no official classes, unless you count the online safety course lol.

Shes put probably 250 rounds through any Glocks total. Including 2 different 19's, a 17, and a 26. Only 5 through my .40. Thats how she concluded she wanted a 19.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Ok looks like we've settled on what she wants.

Glock extended slide release

Glock extended mag release

Extended slide lock, again would prefer a Glock part, will one from a thicker frame glock fit into the 19?

Plug for bottome of grip, I want one too. Who has these? I have read some fall out and others work great.

Wheres a good place to buy for the best price? Im on glockparts.com and topglock.com. Anywhere else I should look?

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    She needs a flag that says bang for the barrel ;)

Check rockyourglock.com for the plug and any other part you can think of

Modrak

Jun 1, 2010
    Walkersville
    My wife added fiber optic sights to her G19 and that's it. She very rarely uses the slide release (slingshots and fires till empty...). She went through a class though that allowed her to shoot over 4k rounds, including some high stress scenarios and stuff. Getting her in a class will definately let her learn what she likes and doesn't like.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    the more time I spend shooting my 21 the less I want to do anything to it. Maybe the sights but that would be it the trigger it pretty good, its plenty grippy and is pretty accurate. I guess I like the simplicity.

most of my other handguns I have at least done trigger, sights and some sort of grip work.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    My wife added fiber optic sights to her G19 and that's it. She very rarely uses the slide release (slingshots and fires till empty...). She went through a class though that allowed her to shoot over 4k rounds, including some high stress scenarios and stuff. Getting her in a class will definately let her learn what she likes and doesn't like.

:thumbsup: Without a doubt this is the best place to spend your money.

ETA: Messing with the spring is for competition shooters trying to reduce muzzle flip. They also tune the ammo to the spring to achieve this. What they are effectively doing is making their pistols less reliable with a wide range of ammo. Glock makes it that way for a reason. The reason is reliability and that's why Glock sells more pistols to LEO around the world than anyone else.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    For the record, I think the advice here to "try it stock" is excellent. I like my extended releases because my department issued service weapon came with them and I'm used to them. The Glock is a marvel of simple, reliable engineering. Muck with it too much and you'll understand how the 1911 got the reputation for being unreliable through no fault of it's own.

Oh, still get night sights, no reason not to that I can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom