• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Question for the C&R gurus out there. My SA Garand from the CMP is still in it's OG furniture which isn't in the greatest of shape (dings and chips mostly) but upon inspecting it as I was moving my safes back to their normal spots in the house post-drywall repair, I noticed that the upper guard on my Garand was split from the rear to about mid-way forward. Being original matching furniture, I'd like to keep it, but am afraid that a substantial enough repair might damage the value of it. I'll acraglas the split and use surgical tubing to clamp it, but the crack is so fine that I'm afraid I won't get the epoxy into it far enough to make it strong enough to last.

I saw on another forum that some folks in the past had used flannel soaked in epoxy or wood glue on the underside of the forearm to give added strength to the repair. I have some fiberglass cloth from repairing canoes that would certainly fit the bill for this. That said, would adding that structural support degrade the value of the firearm? Again, it's a CMP so not everything matches, but the stock is OG to the receiver.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    There are a lot of reasons to cause a hand guard to split. Determining the cause would be good first step.
    Other good news is handguards are not particularly rare and can be easy to fix.
    Removing and then re installing the sheet metal liner tightly can be a little challenging when you refill the tabs and then reposition it Then fold the tabs on the opposite end. There is a tool available to make that happen easier but it’s not necessary.
    Black dye and glass forced into the rear of the crack will make an almost invisible repair When carefully done.
    Scrape it off with a razor from the top after the glass hardens.
    Another good thing is you can choose to make a repair that will keep your rifle in service until a color matching or suitable replacement can be found.
    Once it’s fitted and your satisfied with the repair, a few punch marks placed in a triangular pattern That are astride of the barrel at the front of the guard will eliminate rattle vibrations and otherwise unwanted sloppy movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom