Thinking about moving to Kent Island... am I crazy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    So... Mrs.BurtonRW and I are house hunting and while I'd like to stay in AA Co. for a bunch of reasons, there are several properties on Kent Island (up and down Route 8, not further East) that really have my attention.

We wouldn't be changing jobs, so I've considered that both of our commutes would essentially double. That's not a deal breaker.

I'm not going to worry too much about the bridge rehab scheduled for the next 2 years. It is what it is and this is obviously a long-term play.

If you have personal, first-hand experience living on KI and working on the mainland, I'd love to hear your take on the normal traffic issues. During beach season, we figure she couldn't easily work her AM shift on Friday (which would put her trying to get home around 3:30) or the PM shift on Sunday (which would have her trying to get to Annapolis by 3:00), but those requests could more than likely be accommodated by her employer.

I already get to work before dawn and leave basically when I want to in the early to mid-afternoon, so aside from Friday afternoons, I wouldn't anticipate any problems for myself.

How bad does it get "in town" normally? I've seen it gridlocked with idiots trying to circumvent traffic on 50, but it seems to me that would be just as predictable (and timed the same) as bridge traffic.

What am I not thinking about? If you live there now, is it enough to make you want to move? Would you warn me off, or welcome me in?

-Rob

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I wonder how many people use their own boat to get across the bay on a regular/daily basis.

That would have to beat vehicular traffic coming up to the bridge during rush hour.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I wonder how many people use their own boat to get across the bay on a regular/daily basis.

That would have to beat vehicular traffic coming up to the bridge during rush hour.

I see this as a logic problem. What happens when your boat is on the wrong side of the water when you need it. What happens when your car is on the wrong side of the water when you need it? How do you get from your house to the boat and the boat to your job and back again to your house.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Don't think I haven't thought about that, too.

Between slip fees and having to keep a second vehicle (or two) at the marina, I figure it's cost prohibitive (and wouldn't save any time except when the bridge is really backed up).

-Rob

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My wife’s nephew had a house on Kent Island. He worked in Alexandria and kids went to school in Chestertown. They got dismayed over lack of services and ended up moving and buying a house in Chestertown. Nice “small town” feel. Had a hell of a commute but finally moved to Alexandria after the kids graduated.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I see this as a logic problem. What happens when your boat is on the wrong side of the water when you need it. What happens when your car is on the wrong side of the water when you need it? How do you get from your house to the boat and the boat to your job and back again to your house.

Two cars. One on each side of the bay.

I'm sure someone(s) are doing it, though they probably have the bank to do so.

Maybe "boat pooling" with others.

Just a thought for the morning....

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    So... Mrs.BurtonRW and I are house hunting and while I'd like to stay in AA Co. for a bunch of reasons, there are several properties on Kent Island (up and down Route 8, not further East) that really have my attention.

We wouldn't be changing jobs, so I've considered that both of our commutes would essentially double. That's not a deal breaker.

I'm not going to worry too much about the bridge rehab scheduled for the next 2 years. It is what it is and this is obviously a long-term play.

If you have personal, first-hand experience living on KI and working on the mainland, I'd love to hear your take on the normal traffic issues. During beach season, we figure she couldn't easily work her AM shift on Friday (which would put her trying to get home around 3:30) or the PM shift on Sunday (which would have her trying to get to Annapolis by 3:00), but those requests could more than likely be accommodated by her employer.

I already get to work before dawn and leave basically when I want to in the early to mid-afternoon, so aside from Friday afternoons, I wouldn't anticipate any problems for myself.

How bad does it get "in town" normally? I've seen it gridlocked with idiots trying to circumvent traffic on 50, but it seems to me that would be just as predictable (and timed the same) as bridge traffic.

What am I not thinking about? If you live there now, is it enough to make you want to move? Would you warn me off, or welcome me in?

-Rob

We love the Eastern Shore since 1995 traffic has definitely increased but its the eastern shore,, Welcome

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    Rob just my thoughts i have noticed with traffic issues I am very thankful we chose the development that we are in that we do not turn left so many roads have people waiting to turn left example Irene way is a street on rt 8 people waiting to get on rt 8 to go towards bay bridge area use the light at the Bay City intersection good luck
    Go to zillow.com to search for a home Stevensville zip is 21666 Grasonville zip is 21638 Queenstown zip 21658
    Happy searching

Last edited:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    My sister and her hubby live on Kent and your commute hours should be reasonable.

Local roads bypass 50 so you can get up and down the Island on weekends.

They live on Kirwan Creek and it is beautiful as is most of the rest of the Island.

If you like the water and hunting etc., it is a very nice place to live.

Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Moved to the shore 3 years ago and never going back. Kent Island to me is basically east Annapolis nowadays imo. Would look at centreville area too if you want more rural living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Commuter car to save you lots of headaches. Kentmorr bar/beach is sweeeeeeeet if you have kids.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Two cars. One on each side of the bay.

I'm sure someone(s) are doing it, though they probably have the bank to do so.

Maybe "boat pooling" with others.

Just a thought for the morning....

You are forgetting about the bay, it isn't always glass smooth. First time you have to leave the boat on the work side and drive back you have two cars on KI and the boat in Annapolis? You are then committed to drive the bridge regardless as to any other conditions!

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    You are forgetting about the bay, it isn't always glass smooth. First time you have to leave the boat on the work side and drive back you have two cars on KI and the boat in Annapolis? You are then committed to drive the bridge regardless as to any other conditions!

That would be plan B of course. The day afterwards, you drive over the bridge back to work and that evening, take yer boat again to get home.

Would work either way.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    That would be plan B of course. The day afterwards, you drive over the bridge back to work and that evening, take yer boat again to get home.

Would work either way.

Come on, guys. It's not like I'd be using a skiff or a little inflatable dinghy for the trip. With the money I'm saving on the house, I wouldn't cross the bay in anything less than this...

:cool:

-Rob

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I have definitely fantasized about taking a boat to get to work. I live in Easton and work in DC. We even have a pier at work. It would be a heck of a putt up the Potomac though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom