What guns would you take on an expedition to Alaska?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    What would I take to Alaska?

Easy.

A priority boarding pass for the next flight back to someplace else.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I think I would take a Savage model 24. 22 hornet over 12ga. I would carry a mix of bird shot and slugs for the 12ga.

That was the rifle/shotgun I was thinking about. They apparently made it in .223 and 12Ga at one point. For the simplicity of procuring ammo, .223 may be preferable over .22 hornet.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    That was the rifle/shotgun I was thinking about. They apparently made it in .223 and 12Ga at one point. For the simplicity of procuring ammo, .223 may be preferable over .22 hornet.

FWIW - I did see a couple of those Savage combo's for sale at the Frederick Show yesterday. Mostly older, so no 223/12's...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If there were enough bears in the area where I was planning to hike that I felt the need to hike with a long gun, then would probably find somewhere else to hike, but if no other choice then probably a decent 12ga semi loaded with Fed DP plated slugs. In most places reasonably safe, Would probably prefer heavy Underwood 10mm or 45 super in a full size large frame GLOCK, reliable enough, and 16 rounds at 750 FPE with a fast reload beats 6 slightly more powerful slugs from a revolver, especially in the likely event some will miss as you mag-dump at a charging bear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom