• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Under either bill, if you lawfully owned the firearm on October 1, 2013, you can take it to the range and shoot it. If a person acquires a new banned weapon after October 1, 2013 (unless previously ordered), he commits a criminal offense, unless he falls into the narrow exception clauses.

In prosecution for such an offense, the state would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was acquired after the effective date of the ban, if I am not mistaken. If I owned such a firearm, I would take the reasonable precaution of documenting that I lawfully possessed it before October 1, 2013. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. It is just what I would do.

How would you do this? Pictures with newspaper?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    How would you do this? Pictures with newspaper?

Like kidnappers do, to provide "proof of life" of the kidnapped victim on a certain date. They take a picture of the kidnapped person holding today's newspaper, with the headlines and date prominently displayed. Don't you watch the movies?

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Like kidnappers do, to provide "proof of life" of the kidnapped victim on a certain date. They take a picture of the kidnapped person holding today's newspaper, with the headlines and date prominently displayed. Don't you watch the movies?

Um... I can buy a paper today and take a picture of it ten years from now.

Kidnappers do that to prove the victim was alive on that date.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Um... I can buy a paper today and take a picture of it ten years from now. Kidnappers do that to prove the victim was alive on that date.

Yeah, but see in this case, I suggested having the photos notarized before October 1, 2013. With some jurors, a notarized picture might be worth 1,000 words. The suggestion was made somewhat tongue in cheek.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Here's a question that may or may not have been asked. Will stripped AR 15 lowers be banned by the new law? As long as we don't exceed the limit on evil features can't we still built a semi auto rifle using that platform?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Here's a question that may or may not have been asked. Will stripped AR 15 lowers be banned by the new law? As long as we don't exceed the limit on evil features can't we still built a semi auto rifle using that platform?

I will defer to those with more technical expertise on this. The basic premise, as I understand it, is that if the state regards it or would regard it as a regulated rifle today, then it will be a banned rifle after October 1, 2013 (and it will also be a banned rifle if it meets the evil-features test).

garym

Damn Right, Rebel Proud
    Sep 20, 2009
    Davidsonville
    I can see the TV ads now "Has your rifle been mis-identified by the State as a banned weapon? If so the law offices of Bang & Boom are here to help".

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Does anyone have any idea (conjecture or otherwise) about how this will effect semi-automatic NFA firearms?
    SBR, DD, SBS?

Could you expand on that question to explain in greater detail which firearms you are specifically asking about, why they are currently covered by the National Firearms Act, and summarize how the state currently regulates them in your understanding?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    K.

Because right now as it stands, any centerfire rifle under 29" in length, is a "Copy Cat" and thus banned, and I don't see an exception for NFA registered weapons.

That statement is true, with respect to any centerfire rifle under 29 inches in overall length.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I would like to read the text covering Para. 7 (Grandfather clause). Can someone direct me to the correct amendment?

This provision now in the bill was not adopted as a single floor amendment. In its current form, it is a combination of one of many changes inserted by the joint House committees, and a tweak by floor amendment. When you put the two together, here is what it says: "A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED, OR HAS A PURCHASE ORDER FOR, OR COMPLETED AN APPLICATION TO PURCHASE AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A COPYCAT WEAPON BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013, MAY . . . CONTINUE TO POSSESS AND TRANSPORT THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON." A similar provision allows for such firearms to be transferred by inheritance.

bshedwick

Apr 3, 2013
    Baltimore County
    16 hrs of training for CCW is ridiculous. What the HELL is an instructor going to do to fill this time? I can see 8, 4 classroom and 4 live fire but 16 is nothing but a deterrent.

Can you imagine how up in arms the lefties in the state would be if there was an effort in this state to impose these restrictions on another Constitutionally guaranteed right, like voting?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I'm just not seeing these things that are said to be in there. It still speaks of registration of grandfathered assault weapons and fines. I see no mention of not requiring training if you already own a handgun. Could someone please post a link to the house document that contains what is being spoken of? The latest version that I see on the legislature web site, still mentions registration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom