• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    They wanted Rosa Parks to comply too.

This is actually a more important post than you may have intended. "know your audience". Your testimony can be made to be more effective if you speak to not only the specific values of the committee members, but to the values of their constituents. It's especially powerful if you happen to be someone from a demographic group they are trying to use as a political prop.

For instance, I am a teacher. While I could frame my argument from many different angles, my most impactful one to the committee is probably to argue as a teacher, in the interest of my students, against their caricature of the situation. Another would be someone who is black citing the racist roots of gun control, complete with comparisons of the proposed legislation to poll taxes, and literacy tests. It's difficult for a democrat to argue why burdens should be placed against the 2a, but should not be placed against things like voting. It's easy to explain how underprivileged minorities are disproportionately negatively impacted by financial, time, and training burdens....while being the most in need of tools for defense.

Also try not to lose your cool. Adrenaline is real and the fight-flight-freeze response may pop up. If you're like me, it may combine with your dislike for your oppressors and materialize as some verbal jabs at them. If you attack them, they're more likely to disregard your testimony than if you speak in a way they can identify with.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is actually a more important post than you may have intended. "know your audience". Your testimony can be made to be more effective if you speak to not only the specific values of the committee members, but to the values of their constituents. It's especially powerful if you happen to be someone from a demographic group they are trying to use as a political prop.

For instance, I am a teacher. While I could frame my argument from many different angles, my most impactful one to the committee is probably to argue as a teacher, in the interest of my students, against their caricature of the situation. Another would be someone who is black citing the racist roots of gun control, complete with comparisons of the proposed legislation to poll taxes, and literacy tests. It's difficult for a democrat to argue why burdens should be placed against the 2a, but should not be placed against things like voting. It's easy to explain how underprivileged minorities are disproportionately negatively impacted by financial, time, and training burdens....while being the most in need of tools for defense.

Also try not to lose your cool. Adrenaline is real and the fight-flight-freeze response may pop up. If you're like me, it may combine with your dislike for your oppressors and materialize as some verbal jabs at them. If you attack them, they're more likely to disregard your testimony than if you speak in a way they can identify with.

I am of the opinion that fat white guys arguing racism is not persuasive.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Respectfully, I agree whole heartedly with your assertions regarding potentially effective angles. But for these people to “identify” with an argument assumes impartiality at best. Impartiality with these legislators is a reach that I increasingly can’t make.

Could a black man make a 2A argument that would sway a Maryland Democratic Party legislator? Maybe, but I’d suggest that if he did, it’s only because (as you suggest) he put the gun control proponent between too much of a rock and a hard place, evoking thoughts of the potential need for damage control.

What these Democratic legislators truly identify with is money, power and the desire to lay waste to gun rights. Normally, and with everyday people who are at least willing to attempt impartiality , I’d agree with trying ones very best to employ the power of tactful persuasion. But perhaps with these people, we’ve arguably been far too polite, for far too long.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Respectfully, I agree whole heartedly with your assertions regarding potentially effective angles. But for these people to “identify” with an argument assumes impartiality at best. Impartiality with these legislators is a reach that I increasingly can’t make.

Could a black man make a 2A argument that would sway a Maryland Democratic Party legislator? Maybe, but I’d suggest that if he did, it’s only because (as you suggest) he put the gun control proponent between too much of a rock and a hard place, evoking thoughts of the potential need for damage control.

What these Democratic legislators truly identify with is money, power and the desire to lay waste to gun rights. Normally, and with everyday people who are at least willing to attempt impartiality , I’d agree with trying ones very best to employ the power of tactful persuasion. But perhaps with these people, we’ve arguably been far too polite, for far too long.
    I don’t know that they are going to be persuaded. They are indoctrinated, and emboldened. We MIGHT get them to throw us a couple of bones. I believe these bills will pass. We can either beg the crown for crumbs, or dig in and not comply. This puts MD in a very awkward position. If other States are any gauge, LE refuse to enforce, and are also non-compliant. Explain what is wrong with the bill. Make them as uncomfortable as you can, then tell them you will not comply.

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    I used to think that, but now I find myself regularly in Annapolis. As mentioned, no one is obligated to use the entire 2 minute testimony window. A simple "Good morning, my name is MigraineMan from Frederick County. I oppose this legislation and ask the committee to return an unfavorable report." is sufficient. Pass the mic and you're done. Your willingness to show up in person and testify is a message unto itself.

If you want to testify, but are intimidated or nervous, that's okay. Know that you won't be there alone. Write some bullet points on an index card, and practice speaking your testimony out-loud in your basement or garage or bedroom. I don't advocate reading prose from a page, because you lose connection to your audience. Time yourself - Android phones have a countdown timer on a tab in the Clock app ... don't know about iOS, but I suspect they do too. You'll be surprised how quick 2 minutes goes. Have a backup plan for a truncated statement that lasts only 30 seconds.

Above all, speak to the Senators and Delegates. Don't just bury your head in your notes. Make eye contact. Make a subconscious connection. Send your message from you to them, even if it's just "I oppose this bill, and you should too."

These legislators are not kings. They are your public servants. And I suggest you can bring that to their attention, too. They work for us. Do not be intimidated. The "I am opposed and I will not comply" is a good statement.

Thank you MM for sharing one of the best posts I've read about testifying. You may have just nudged me into the "I WILL" column with this.

If anyone pays attention to post counts - if it matters - then yeah, you don't want me to be our front man. I'm one of those that would prefer simply showing up and let someone else do my talking. Certainly someone will be more polished and eloquent than me.

And why will my voice matter, especially when we know we're outnumbered and don't stand a snowballs chance in hell? As has been written elsewhere on the board (and in this thread) our presence and testimony for some is largely a waste of everyone's time. It would be great to just go lick our wounds over beer and wings. After all, nothing we've done in the past has worked. I understand that sentiment, believe me. It sucks.

But when I consider doing nothing, simply throwing up our collective hands in defeat, well that doesn't sit well with me. And it shouldn't with others around here, especially those that have led the fight long before I got here. Yes - we've got a yuge hill to climb. I know the forum doesn't march in lockstep the way our opponents do, but I'm hoping (praying) that we circle our wagons for the fights ahead. We need every single one of us - and then some to succeed.

I'm nobody. (Not that one! There's only one Nobody here on MDS :) )

But I'm going to do my best to drag my sorry, white, bald, nobody a$$ in front of the committee on the 25th. I want them to not only see me, but also hear my testimony, even if it falls upon deaf ears. At least then, I can go enjoy a beer knowing that I did what I could.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I don’t know that they are going to be persuaded. They are indoctrinated, and emboldened. We MIGHT get them to throw us a couple of bones. I believe these bills will pass. We can either beg the crown for crumbs, or dig in and not comply. This puts MD in a very awkward position. If other States are any gauge, LE refuse to enforce, and are also non-compliant. Explain what is wrong with the bill. Make them as uncomfortable as you can, then tell them you will not comply.[/QUOTE

Regrettably, my inclination is to agree with you.

If it’s inevitable that these bills will pass, and I think we need our best and brightest Annapolis savvy folks as well as our handful of friendly delegates to help to objectively make this determination? Then maybe it’s time to move on.

Maybe the story this year isn’t so much what legislation comes out of Annapolis. Maybe reality is that the only story within our control is reports of an unprecedented level of citizen defiance in stated testimony, as a catalyst that can perhaps facilitate some future progress, maybe in the form of joining other states with laws seen as being more quickly in dire need of court scrutiny.

I don’t have this answer. But if things are going to get even more unfriendly, well despite the best of wishes for otherwise....

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

I don’t know that they are going to be persuaded. They are indoctrinated, and emboldened. We MIGHT get them to throw us a couple of bones. I believe these bills will pass. We can either beg the crown for crumbs, or dig in and not comply. This puts MD in a very awkward position. If other States are any gauge, LE refuse to enforce, and are also non-compliant. Explain what is wrong with the bill. Make them as uncomfortable as you can, then tell them you will not comply.
    You're both absolutely correct, but there's no reason to only adopt one strategy. In testimony, craft it to be compelling. In politics, be ruthless and attack the purse strings. In your personal life, exercise your inalienable rights and refuse to comply with unconstitutional legislation. In the cultural battle, win people to our side by promoting the 2a lifestyle and introducing new people to it. In media, counter false narratives with evidence-based truths(which are on our side). All of these fronts are important and all of them are being fought by the other side. The more impactful the testimonies, the fewer tyrannical infringements you can choose to not comply with.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You're both absolutely correct, but there's no reason to only adopt one strategy. In testimony, craft it to be compelling. In politics, be ruthless and attack the purse strings. In your personal life, exercise your inalienable rights and refuse to comply with unconstitutional legislation. In the cultural battle, win people to our side by promoting the 2a lifestyle and introducing new people to it. In media, counter false narratives with evidence-based truths(which are on our side). All of these fronts are important and all of them are being fought by the other side. The more impactful the testimonies, the fewer tyrannical infringements you can choose to not comply with.

Agree. We should still try to mitigate the damage. I am a peaceful man. I don’t want to run afoul of laws. Unfortunately, these bills have overstepped what I believe is my right. I will not willingly give up any right. I firmly believe the 2A is in place to protect against oppressive government. I also believe that all government will become oppressive if given the opportunity.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    But I'm going to do my best to drag my sorry, white, bald, nobody a$$ in front of the committee on the 25th. I want them to not only see me, but also hear my testimony, even if it falls upon deaf ears. At least then, I can go enjoy a beer knowing that I did what I could.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Thank You for the folks that are going to speak , I am grateful . I will at least be there one day on the 25th and show my support , I want to be optimistic and believe they will hear the speakers out .

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Thank You for the folks that are going to speak , I am grateful . I will at least be there one day on the 25th and show my support , I want to be optimistic and believe they will hear the speakers out .

At least come take a seat so that someone in a
    red shirt cant sit in it. Thats doing something.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    At least come take a seat so that someone in a
    red shirt cant sit in it. Thats doing something.

Exactly, numbers matter.
    The Mom’s gang is smart with their red shirts, each of them is making a statement without saying anything.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Sure they'll hear us out. They'll hear us out just like they did in 2013 when they foisted FSA2013 on us.

By all means, be polite and respectful. Raise yourself above their level. Keep the moral high ground. You're aiming for anyone close to the fence.
    Present yourself as an idiot, they treat you as an idiot.

Make Three Simple Points:
    1. Creating overnight felons.
    2. Taking of personal property by the government without renumeration.
    3. Will not comply.

Should be able to get all that in <10 seconds. Really do not need to elaborate, and if anything like 2013, time will be limited or unavailable, with only your signature with support or oppose.

I'd say to start getting 2a lawyers identified so each of us can know what legal professional to go to.
    Maybe if confiscation law goes on the book, class action suit may be in the cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom