• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    I have a 300BLK pistol and a 9mm carbine that I would like to suppress. First is it worth the effort for the 9mm, I have heard good things about the 300BLK? I have a 22LR can and it is stupid quiet on a bolt gun. I realize that I will not achieve the same results with a centerfire cartridge. Second am I able to use 1 suppressor for double duty? I realize that a dedicated one for each would probably be ideal but I have a distinct lack of funds.

Thank you

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    9mm might be too big. .380 is a little bit larger than .308 Might depend on the can itself? I don't know if I'd risk it.

On the other hand 9mm cans probably can't hold up to centerfire rifle.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    A surprising number of 9mm cans are rated to handle supersonic .300blk. Something like the Silencerco Omega 9k would work well for your purposes. I think it qualifies for a free .22lr can right now for the summer Silencerco promotion, too.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    First is it worth the effort for the 9mm,

That depends on what you expect / want. I have a 9mm can I use on pistols, and I love it. It is of course much quieter with subsonic ammo, but it's a lot of fun either way. If you expect movie-quiet "psst psst psst" noises, that's never going to happen though with anything above a subsonic rimfire round.

I have heard good things about the 300BLK?

.300 BLK is a great round, it's just expensive to shoot unless you load your own. Subsonic ones suppress incredibly well for a rifle round - it's about like subsonic 9mm.

Second am I able to use 1 suppressor for double duty?

Yes, but with caveats and it will be a compromise.

This is because of a couple of things:
    1. You can't run 9mm through a 7.62 can - it's too large in diameter.
    2. You can't run supersonic .300blk rounds through *most* pistol cans.

So what you're left choosing is either:
    1. A pistol can that's rated for .300blk subsonics
    2. A "hybrid" type pistol / rifle can that can handle anything
    3. One of the few pistol cans that will handle supersonic .300BLK

The issues there are that if you use a pistol can (many 9mm cans are rated for .300BLK subsonic) you run the risk of blowing it apart if you ever make a mistake and run a supersonic .300 round through it, and that the "hybrid" type cans work for everything but they're not great at most of it.

There are a few pistol cans out there that can handle supersonic .300BLK. The SilencerCo Omega 9K pops to mind. It's not user servicable, (i.e. you can't clean it, so don't shoot unjacketed lead through it) and it doesn't suppress as well as some others, but they're supposed to be decent cans.

amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    I should have stated that I would only be running subs through the suppressor. I am not worried about the cost of ammo as I will be shooting it somewhat infrequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I should have stated that I would only be running subs through the suppressor. I am not worried about the cost of ammo as I will be shooting it somewhat infrequently.

Well if that's the case, I would go get yourself a really good 9mm can then.

My first choice would the the Rugged Obsidian.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Pretty much all modern 9mm pistol cans can deal with .300AAC subs. The Omega 9k recommendation is a pretty good one for your purposes, and SiCo is having a BOGO sale right now to boot, so you can get a "free" Spectre II rimfire can with it.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Why would any 9mm can have an issue with .300 subs?

You have a slightly heavier and longer bullet, but the issue is velocity and pressure. Subsonic is subsonic, no matter what shape cartridge it originated from.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Octane 9 does pretty well for 9mm pistol, 9mm AR, 300blk AR, and 300blk single shot. Lighter weight than a dedicated .30 cal rifle can if all you're doing is 300blk. A single shot 300blk is comically quiet for ringing steel.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

That makes your life real easy, though I'd still suggest trying to find something that will handle .300blk supersonic as well. You would lose a minor amount of optimization for handgun purposes, but that's about it. I really like the Omega 9K for your purposes. Super short and light, and you can use it on a pistol if you want to. The liberty Cosmic/Mystic X/Centurion lineup is pretty good too (I have a cosmic), but they aren't as light or short as the Omega 9k, as far as I'm aware. Maybe the centurion is close, but you'd be trading at least some weight for modularity and user serviceability.

The Dead Air Wolf is pretty awesome too, but I dunno offhand if it'll handle .300blk supers. And it's not as good for pistols.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A surprising number of 9mm cans are rated to handle supersonic .300blk. Something like the Silencerco Omega 9k would work well for your purposes. I think it qualifies for a free .22lr can right now for the summer Silencerco promotion, too.

You mean subsonic .300 BLK, I hope.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    You mean subsonic .300 BLK, I hope.
    No I meant supersonic. It's not near the number that are rated for subsonic, but more and more are being released that are okay for supersonic too. All the cans I have listed off besides the Liberty Centurion (I'm not sure if that one is subs only or both) is rated for .300blk super, including the Dead Air Wolf 9SD.

It's not the majority of all 9mm cans or anything, but enough that there's several good options. I think some of the Griffin Armament 9mm cans are rated for .300blk super too, but am too lazy to look them up.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I run super and sub 300 blk and 9mm on a regular basis through my griffin Optimus. It’s great because it’s user serviceable so I can run cheap coated lead subsonic blk through it. It really is a versatile suppressor but I would recommend getting a dedicated 22 can if you want to run a lot of it because it leads up pretty quick and then you can’t get the rifle blast baffle in until you clean it. The griffin revolution 9mm will also run super and sub 300 blk. My personal opinion is that if you are going to drop the money for a revolution 9, drop a little more and get the Optimus. If you want a versatile pistol can get the revolution 45 and you can shoot anything smaller bore including rifle rounds.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I run super and sub 300 blk and 9mm on a regular basis through my griffin Optimus. It’s great because it’s user serviceable so I can run cheap coated lead subsonic blk through it. It really is a versatile suppressor but I would recommend getting a dedicated 22 can if you want to run a lot of it because it leads up pretty quick and then you can’t get the rifle blast baffle in until you clean it. The griffin revolution 9mm will also run super and sub 300 blk. My personal opinion is that if you are going to drop the money for a revolution 9, drop a little more and get the Optimus. If you want a versatile pistol can get the revolution 45 and you can shoot anything smaller bore including rifle rounds.
    Agreed, I went with the Griffin Optimus as well. The various adapters they make means I can suppress basically anything 9mm and smaller pretty well if I don't have a specific can for that gun. That also means you can grab a minimalist taper mount and adapter for the Optimus and now you've got a nice compact can that will run .300blk down to 8" barrels.

As GolfR said, you can run the Griffin Revolution 9mm and .45 with supers and subs, though there appears to be a 16" barrel restriction on supers.

I also checked and the Liberty Centurion is listed for .300 supers and subs. Not sure on the specifics exactly.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012

This post nailed it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    LOL

No I meant supersonic. It's not near the number that are rated for subsonic, but more and more are being released that are okay for supersonic too. All the cans I have listed off besides the Liberty Centurion (I'm not sure if that one is subs only or both) is rated for .300blk super, including the Dead Air Wolf 9SD.

It's not the majority of all 9mm cans or anything, but enough that there's several good options. I think some of the Griffin Armament 9mm cans are rated for .300blk super too, but am too lazy to look them up.

Huh. Cool. Thanks!

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Huh. Cool. Thanks!
    No problem! It's a good thing I'm moving in the next year, because otherwise I'd be in for an Omega 9k or Dead Air Wolf SD, a Hybrid 46, and Salvo 12. Pretty sure I need the long cooling off period that this move is going to cause.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    I have a 300BLK pistol and a 9mm carbine that I would like to suppress. First is it worth the effort for the 9mm, I have heard good things about the 300BLK? I have a 22LR can and it is stupid quiet on a bolt gun. I realize that I will not achieve the same results with a centerfire cartridge. Second am I able to use 1 suppressor for double duty? I realize that a dedicated one for each would probably be ideal but I have a distinct lack of funds.

Thank you

Check out the Liberty Mystic X. It is a great suppressor and will handle both calibers plus many others. It is user serviceable and you can change adapters to shoot on a wide variety of weapons. Liberty has great customer service as well. I own one and use it regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom