• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I have a couple rifles that i want to share a bipod on. I dont mind taking the time to change them from one to the other, i can only shoot one at a time anyway.

the good news is, this means i can splurge on a more expensive one if needs be. So the question is: what bi-pod do you recommend and why? The main rifles i'll be using it on is a 24" bull barrel ar15, and a 24" 300 win mag.

i have a harris bipod that i inherited and i THINK it's a type S. It has 3 extensions that allow it go go from like 12 to 36 inches or something. i can use it prone or sitting (and i'm 6'4" tall). i can also clamp it at any range between those positive clicks. it rolls left to right and allows shooting from uneven ground.

i like it but it's "okay" in sitting position.. and "okay" in prone. it's a little too tall in prone and not quite tall enough sitting (probably because i'm so darn big).

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I guess the question is, does your 300 win mag have a sling swivel or picatinny, same question for the AR? Harris is easy for swivel and the Atlas is easy for picatinny. I have both for different reasons. It really comes down to what kind of shooting you do and what you prefer.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I guess the question is, does your 300 win mag have a sling swivel or picatinny, same question for the AR? Harris is easy for swivel and the Atlas is easy for picatinny. I have both for different reasons. It really comes down to what kind of shooting you do and what you prefer.

win mag is actualy mloc w/ a picatinny rail attachment, so it's the same as my ar w/ a picatinny.. and i have an adapter that takes it from swivel swing.. to picatinny.

so i have 1 bipod that i share for 3 of my guns.. most of the shooting i do w/ these are groundhog hunting... 200-550 yards.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a few Harris bipods, recently got the Magpul M-lok bipod and really like it. Most of the features of an Atlas, but a lot cheaper. Can tighten and loosen the pan/tilt with a big knob, or can turn a plate around to lock the pan function. No external springs, which keeps it clean, but the lags don't spring back either, easier to lock into a particular length though, and they lock into the deployed position, but have enough flex to take up recoil. It's great for flipping down 1 leg to use against a barricade or backpack, and they can hook into it, and take some recoil without folding up. Only issues are the limited configurations, 3 separate versions, M-lok, ARMS and pic rail, all extend from 6.5-10.5", so fine for prone or a bench, too short for most other positions.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I own about a half a dozen Harris bipods of different sizes and don't have any complaints. I have never tried any of the other brands.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I have had a number of Harris setups over the years. Recently picked up an Atlas with the QD and haven’t touched the Harris ones since. The Atlas moves in all the right ways and doesn’t in the wrong ones. It’s just a quality peice of kit.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    * I have some real Harris and some knockoffs. I think they are all pretty lousy (hmm, I should round them all up and sell them.) The sling style always seems to shoot/wiggle loose. Legs don't lock. The exposed springs/mechanism don't have the best aesthetics either.
    * I have a real Atlas v2 (PSR?) and some v1 knockoffs. Real is great but pricey. If you do o-ring mods to the knockoffs they work very well. I have atlas leg extensions that bring it up a little when needed (which is rare. And I doubt the extensions I have go high enough for sitting.) Foot style can also be swapped but I only have the stock feet. IIRC, can use the tip of a bullet to swap. Don't have to drive out pins.
    * I just bought a Magpul picatinny last week. Haven't used it yet but appears nice. Leg extensions aren't avail (like the atlas) and you have to drive a pin out to change the feet. I don't think thats a big deal though. I don't like that the picatinny isn't QR like the Atlas/knockoffs (heck, or even the Harris style.) Requires a tool to swap so will likely stay on one rifle. There is an ARMS mount version of the magpul but between that and the QR adapter you are in Atlas money territory.

The Atlas is by far my favorite. If magpul had a QR version at the same price point, I would buy more of those to support a US company.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Primitive but Effective

Strictly for bench or prone shooting (~6" bipod height) - I buy these low cost UTG bipods on eBay. (They were ~$16, now up to ~$20 with shipping.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leapers-TL...203046160?epid=1701562452&hash=item23ab9cf710

They are too wobbly as they come, with too much free-play in the leg hinges. This can be remedied by punching out the existing leg pivot pins (beware of spring fling), drilling the holes out to 1/4" (they are metric - slightly under 1") and replacing the pins with 1/4" bolts. I usually use allen-head bolts and SS locknuts as pictured. Then the bolts can be snugged up to completely eliminate free-play while the legs are still foldable. I remove the top Picatinny mounting piece and bolt the pod to the rifle hand-guard or stock forend directly. The legs have a small amount adjustment without external springs.

grHjEKM.jpg

0Wwm9ge.jpg

Pcc6tKX.jpg

This set-up provides a low cost, solid platform that is more stable than some of the multi-hundred dollar bipods I've seen at the range.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For me as a casual shooter, Harris is fine.

Atlas for the frequent users who have deeper pockets.

As a casual shooter the Harris knock-offs work fine for me. Decently stable in a bench and prone. I like the sling swivel attachment. I’d prefer a good pic QD...but I don’t really want to live with extra pic rail on my rifles and the itty bitty sling swivel keymod adapters weigh almost nothing. I use 2 point traditional slings on my rifles (though I am considering a single point on my 16/20” AR as I really just use it at the range and I don’t need a sling to help stabilize. My other rifles I use for hunting (well most of them) and do use the sling to stabilize my shots.

Anyway, a sling swivel attachment type bipod is generally best for me and something short. I am considering getting shooting sticks or a monpod adapter to try that out for sitting/standing (I have a decent and light monopod for photography already).

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    So the question is: what bi-pod do you recommend and why? The main rifles i'll be using it on is a 24" bull barrel ar15, and a 24" 300 win mag.

OP you listed the rifles you are using, to best answer your question you need to also explain HOW you will be using them. If you are only punching paper on at a few hundred yds, from a bench, using factory ammo your needs would be totally different from a PRS shooter or a long range shooter.

The genuine Harris is a great all around bipod. It’s stable enough to lean into without unpredictable flexing. I’ve seen friends shoot steel at 1200yds with .260 Remington’s and .308’s using Harris bipods.

I have tried several of the knock off’s and they have only been good enough for short range paper punching.

I’ve settled on Atlas and I’ve been very happy with their build quality and features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom