• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011

This build was a long time in the making, but I'm happy with the finished product. I relied on forum posts to see how different parts looked on a finished rifle, and for parts ideas, so it's only appropriate that I do one of my finished rifle. A lot of you have more gun experience than I do, how'd I do for my first AR build? What should I do for my next one?

Here's what's on my rifle:
    • Arizona Armory billet upper and lower reciever - I chose Arizona Armory because I'm from Arizona, and I believe strongly in supporting local manufacturing. Rumor has it that these are rebranded Sun Devil parts, but that's local too. Jeff at AA gave me a great price on everything, and was fantastic to deal with.
    • Magpul MOE stock and pistol grip - Magpul has great value for the money. These parts are solid, and were relatively cheap.
    • Troy TRX Extreme VTAC 11" Rail - I wanted this to be a lightweight rifle, and don't plan on hanging too much stuff off it. I picked the VTAC because I think it feels better than the standard TRX.
    • Daniel Defense 14.5" Barrel with AAC Brakeout permanently attached - I think I paid too much for both of these parts, at the time I figured there probably was a reason nobody can keep them in stock. There is a suppressor in this rifle's future, probably a AAC Mini4. I'm happy with these two parts, probably going with better value next time.
    • Palmetto State Armory Bolt Carrier Group and lower parts kit - Everything was in spec, bolt is MP and HP tested, PSA makes good parts for great prices.
    • Troy HK style front and folding rear sights - Nothing special, these were 25% off. I prefer the HK front sight for faster sight alignment, and it looks good. I put a .34 KNS front sight post in for better accuracy.
    • I Kick Hippies sling mount plate - Innovative product, and supporting small boutique suppliers is good for our hobby.
    • IWC front sling mount - Attaches a sling without having to add a rail section.
    • JP yellow trigger springs - Testing these out, trigger feels great after I added these and some moly grease.
    • KNS anti-rotation pins - Pointless, but they look cool. Not sure why I bought these...
    • VTAC sling - The only thing on this rifle I regret buying. I would much rather have a completely plain $12 sling. There's nothing wrong with the VTAC sling, but it doesn't feel quite right.
    • Receiver and rail cerakoted foliage green by Arizona Armory - I wanted a unique rifle, coating it makes it uniquely mine. I went with foliage green because Flat Dark Earth is played out and the sure sign of a tacticool mall ninja. :lol2: Foliage green also matches military uniforms and equipment.

Comments? Suggestions? I'm still sorting this gun out, it's a little picky about ammo. Hopefully after I get more rounds through it it'll smooth out.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have nothing bad to say about it. Seems well thought out.

Im personally not a fan of the Troy Rails because I have seen them shoot loose but they are nice rails.

What kind of issues are you having? Feed, Extraction, Ejection, Fail to Fire? If its failing to cycle or lock the bolt back im beting its the buffer spring. Many Stock or Rifle PArts Kits have a 10%+ Buffer Spring. Its wrong. A COlt Carbine Buffer Spring fixes many ARs I see for issues.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    IIRC, JP doesnt suggest running the yellow springs in a gun that may be for duty or relied on for more than competition work.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Looks great!!! In the end, it's something you wanted and built yourself. That alone should make you happy.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    IIRC, JP doesnt suggest running the yellow springs in a gun that may be for duty or relied on for more than competition work.

I have never read this but I know it to be good advice. :thumbsup:

I do run them in my AR's BUT, and I say BUT I lighten the hammers by cutting the tails off (Lightenens Mass).

Or you can buy one of these instead:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7590/Product/AR_15_SPEED_HAMMER

p_452015100_1.jpg

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I have never read this but I know it to be good advice. :thumbsup:

I do run them in my AR's BUT, and I say BUT I lighten the hammers by cutting the tails off (Lightenens Mass).

Or you can buy one of these instead:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7590/Product/AR_15_SPEED_HAMMER

p_452015100_1.jpg

One of the reasons they are yellow is to instantly tell if you get an AR thats having light strikes, From JP website:

3-3.5 pound trigger pull for competition/recreational use. Kit includes yellow color coded trigger and hammer spring..

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I have nothing bad to say about it. Seems well thought out.

Im personally not a fan of the Troy Rails because I have seen them shoot loose but they are nice rails.

What kind of issues are you having? Feed, Extraction, Ejection, Fail to Fire? If its failing to cycle or lock the bolt back im beting its the buffer spring. Many Stock or Rifle PArts Kits have a 10%+ Buffer Spring. Its wrong. A COlt Carbine Buffer Spring fixes many ARs I see for issues.
    Short stroking, partial ejection, running over rounds in the mag without picking one up... I think you may be right about the spring thing.

I'm aware, it's on the package. If I get a single light hit I'll change back to the stock hammer spring. I hope I don't have to, this trigger feels pretty sweet.

There's going to be two more additions, a Battle Arms ambidextrous safety and Norgon ambi magazine release. Don't want to pay MSRP though, that'd be $180...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Failure to ignite harder primers in mil spec ammo.

Yup.

I always tell people to try them in their gun and if you get any light strikes to move to these for JUST the hammer spring:

This next (Hammer Spring ONLY)
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=32318/Product/AR_15_ENHANCED_RELIABILITY_SPRING_KITS

Then this (Hammer Spring ONLY) if your still geting light strikes:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2941/Product/AR_15_SERVICE_RIFLE_SPRING_KIT

If its real bad this is the last option besides a factory hammer spring:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12722/Product/AR_15_HAMMER___TRIGGER_SPRING_SET

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Critique?

Ok. Where is your MDShooters engraved logo?????

Dammit, I knew I forgot something...

I actually do want to get a "Maryland Rifle." Probably something from ADCOR with a custom paint job from Corsica Coatings. Fulton Armory is up the street from me, but their stuff isn't interesting to me.

Went to Freestate tonight, no problems using PMC ammo. Best range I've ever been to by far! Guess it just needed to be broken in a bit and fed good ammo. Still need to get the sights dialed in better, and I think I'm going to paint the front sight bright red as well. Why don't they make thin neon green front sight posts? Seems like a great idea.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Dammit, I knew I forgot something...

I actually do want to get a "Maryland Rifle." Probably something from ADCOR with a custom paint job from Corsica Coatings. Fulton Armory is up the street from me, but their stuff isn't interesting to me.

Went to Freestate tonight, no problems using PMC ammo. Best range I've ever been to by far! Guess it just needed to be broken in a bit and fed good ammo. Still need to get the sights dialed in better, and I think I'm going to paint the front sight bright red as well. Why don't they make thin neon green front sight posts? Seems like a great idea.

They make fiber optic AR fornt sights.

Here ya go:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26412/Product/AR_15_M16_FIBER_OPTIC_FRONT_SIGHT

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom