• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't know who told you that the PPT hits hard in the wallet, but that is false. All taxes combined, including Real property taxes (land/home) are far less than what you pay in Maryland. I have a 4k sq.ft. home with a detached 700 sq. ft. garage on 3.5 acres and another 141 acres less than 5 miles from two ski resorts and I only pay around $1700 a year total, including the PPT.

Add a boat or an RV and all of the finer things in life and you're hit kinda hard. Sure, it may be less than Maryland, but most states are. You can't just do a comparison between Maryland and WV. That would be like comparing the amount of snowfall between Hawaii and Montana. Just look at closing cost for buying a house. I believe Maryland is now or recently was the most expensive place for settlement fees when buying a house.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As both a shooter and an amateur astronomer WV is pretty good short of being in the Rockies. At least one astronomy club in MD I belonged to moved all their observatories to one place in the mountains of central WV. Even here near Martinsburg my skies aren't too bad living on a farm with minimal lighting. Not to mention the Tri-State Astronomers club is right across the river in Hagerstown.

HoCoAR

Ultimate Member
    Nov 15, 2012
    Dark skies and small observatory would be nice.

Last edited:

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Add a boat or an RV and all of the finer things in life and you're hit kinda hard. Sure, it may be less than Maryland, but most states are. You can't just do a comparison between Maryland and WV. That would be like comparing the amount of snowfall between Hawaii and Montana. Just look at closing cost for buying a house. I believe Maryland is now or recently was the most expensive place for settlement fees when buying a house.

We have both, a pontoon boat and a 35' Winni, plus a lot of other toys and we are not hit that hard

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If only there was anything resembling high speed internet access anywhere in WV more than a mile or so on the edges of a few larger towns/developments. Rural, or even semi-rural life is directly at odds with that modern necessity.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The personal property tax is not that bad. We have a boat a couple large trailers and all my landscaping equipment between all that and our 2000sq ft house on 10 acres we paid under 2k last year.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    If only there was anything resembling high speed internet access anywhere in WV more than a mile or so on the edges of a few larger towns/developments. Rural, or even semi-rural life is directly at odds with that modern necessity.

This is no lie. Internet and cable TV here isn't much. We use sling through our internet provider and it's not fast enough to allow more than 2 TVs going at the same time. Doesn't bother us much but to some folks it might.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    This is no lie. Internet and cable TV here isn't much. We use sling through our internet provider and it's not fast enough to allow more than 2 TVs going at the same time. Doesn't bother us much but to some folks it might.

Yes, we do everything satellite. I work from home (telework), and the satellite internet is good for that, not so good for streaming services.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    If you are planning to move to WV hold off of purchasing any new vehicles prior to moving. I moved there for a couple of years but never changed my residency to WV because of the cost to register my vehicles. In order to register my vehicles they were going to charge me sales tax at full bluebook value even though I paid Md sales tax on them when I bought them. I knew I would only be there for 2 years so it there would be no offset in the tax savings.
    Just giving you a heads up so you don't get surprised when you move.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You can get 25Mb/s from HughesNet satellite Internet. Not fast enough for real-time gaming but good enough for on-line poker and most anything else.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You can get 25Mb/s from HughesNet satellite Internet. Not fast enough for real-time gaming but good enough for on-line poker and most anything else.

Alas, that's only downlink speed, and only in small bursts. Upload speeds crawl, and both directions have enormous latency. And, of course, it's all capped each month. In my line of work, I could use the entire month's bandwidth in an afternoon. So, no joy!

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Alas, that's only downlink speed, and only in small bursts. Upload speeds crawl, and both directions have enormous latency. And, of course, it's all capped each month. In my line of work, I could use the entire month's bandwidth in an afternoon. So, no joy!
    I wanna become latent...practice latency...when I grow up.

Wait a minute...or thirty...I’m a latency aficionado. I’m retired.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    I use the hotspot from my phone for online gaming. Works fine and with 3 phones I never run out of hotspot.

That's a good point. I knew that connectivity would be and issue with the places I'm looking. I've really gotten spoiled with fiber optics. But it's a hit I'm willing to take for the other benefits.

That said, there are some public and private initiatives to get WV wired, so in a few years this might not be an issue.

Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    I will be retiring in 12 to 18 months. Will definately be leaving Maryland. We are considering Delaware as we need to stay close to grandkids who are in Md so what are everyone's thoughts on going east vs west to WV? I want WV for all the reasons stated above but wife wants Delaware as health care and airports are on her long range plan.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    How's Pocohontas County? I spent some time down there a couple summers ago and it was beautiful. Big woods, gentle hills, and friendly people. Wouldn't mine getting some wooded property down there.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    personal property tax in wv? we have a place in canaan valley (tucker county) and haven't been hit by anything. titled my truck there last year (from VA) and don't think i paid anything other than license plate fees. maybe it's just some counties?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom