• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have had good luck there. :)
    I will gladly pay an extra $50 for a BL Glock a few minutes down the street rather than going into Baltimore or city for one or anything for that matter, I'm a country boy. Donna knew more about the HPRB than I learned from reading every meeting thread. Utah class was very professional. They do have sales on occasion ... with a Glock Rep available for talking to. Yeah their prices are not the best every day but again they do have sales.

Now I am curious, will Bass Pro match prices or take a pic and email it to their customers, or let you walk out with your firearm / walk it to the door?
    I have watched the business grow and will remain neutral in case Donna is reading this. There are other things positive that I will not mention. Some things should be judged by personal experience. A lot of people here did not like Bama47 but I met him and found him to be a good person ... personal experience is important. Funny how I knew exactly what the thread was about seeing the title. Don't hate me for this.

OK, where's the Labor Day Sales thread?

Saurdaukar

Mar 30, 2017
    AA County
    My opinion is mixed.

On the training side (Utah CCW), she tends to try and make examples of people. Some deserve it, some don't.

On the sales side, some prices are high and others are surprisingly low. If you want a Glock, go elsewhere. They're priced well above market. However, if you're looking for something newer or more obscure, there's a good bet they have it, don't really understand what it is beyond "not a Glock" and mark it at MSRP or below.

Haven't been in some time; mainly because I grew tired of waiting for whomever was at the register to *not* try and slip a $30 bore lock into the total invoice.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If that is the case, then your DD214 should have gotten you out of the entire training. There is no exemption from the live fire for anyone, the exemption is for the entire HQL training. So either they are not following the law, by exempting people from the live fire portion, or they screwed you by charging you for a class that you were exempt from.
    Sounds like they took his money.

I asked about getting training for my wife for her VA permit and they said she'd have to take a live fire class. Rather than argue, I just left.

Best thread title ever, by the way.
    Just to clarify, no one "took my money" - I mentioned not doing the live fire training only as a way to say that I didn't have to take training at all. I should have been a bit more clear on that - my apologies. I knew I was exempt because I know what the law is and they never tried to sell me on it.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Nope.. just having light background... Full face photo 2"x2"...

If you do it online.. they crop the pic on their upload page.

Didn't understand what you meant, therefore played with it today. Basically if you upload any size color picture with white background, looking straight at the camera, no hats or sunglasses, using their crop feature, presto.

Dang, thanks for the UP.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Didn't understand what you meant, therefore played with it today. Basically if you upload any size color picture with white background, looking straight at the camera, no hats or sunglasses, using their crop feature, presto.

Dang, thanks for the UP.
    before I got the renew notice..was looking for passport photo places myself.. good thing I procrastinated and checked their website for instructions about the photo upload..

I took a selfie with light cream color wall as background.. it was accepted..

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I was praying all day this thread would line up with...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=214189

As someone who has shopped at worth a shot. I can honestly say a colonoscopy is cheaper for me than any Glock they offer.

The employees at worth a shot that I talked to were very nice and not annoying in a oh so fun "we know what's best" kind of way. I was looking at glocks, we had some small talk, the guy I was talking to said he personally prefers sigs and left it at that. Some guys bash one gun and go on about another brand, but I didn't experience any of that at worth a shot.

Prices i saw were in line with big box stores which imo is over priced. The gun/s I ended up buying from Tyler firearms were much cheaper.

I highly recommend Tyler Firearms for anyone who goes to worth a shot because of location. Tyler Firearms is a few exits down 695. Maybe 10 minutes from worth a shot (with no traffic)

I've heard many bad stories about worth a shot training. I've heard many good stories about Tyler firearm training.

Worth a shot does stock a lot of guns which might be why they charge a lot. Lots of blue label stuff.

Tyler is limited on guns but if you know what you want they can order anything. In the case of Maryland you cannot cash and carry so if you order from Tyler expect 8 days vs 7 for pickup.

To add irony to this thread. I'm typing this as I drop the kids off at the pool.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    As someone who has shopped at worth a shot. I can honestly say a colonoscopy is cheaper for me than any Glock they offer.

The employees at worth a shot that I talked to were very nice and not annoying in a oh so fun "we know what's best" kind of way. I was looking at glocks, we had some small talk, the guy I was talking to said he personally prefers sigs and left it at that. Some guys bash one gun and go on about another brand, but I didn't experience any of that at worth a shot.

Prices i saw were in line with big box stores which imo is over priced. The gun/s I ended up buying from Tyler firearms were much cheaper.

I highly recommend Tyler Firearms for anyone who goes to worth a shot because of location. Tyler Firearms is a few exits down 695. Maybe 10 minutes from worth a shot (with no traffic)

I've heard many bad stories about worth a shot training. I've heard many good stories about Tyler firearm training.

Worth a shot does stock a lot of guns which might be why they charge a lot. Lots of blue label stuff.

Tyler is limited on guns but if you know what you want they can order anything. In the case of Maryland you cannot cash and carry so if you order from Tyler expect 8 days vs 7 for pickup.

To add irony to this thread. I'm typing this as I drop the kids off at the pool.
    Funny you say that, I got my Glock 43 there for $485 which is cheaper than most around (including IP's 2A Sales & Gun Connection) were selling them.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Funny you say that, I got my Glock 43 there for $485 which is cheaper than most around (including IP's 2A Sales & Gun Connection) were selling them.

Maybe they decided to finally move some guns? I haven't been in 2 years or so.

When I went their guns were very high priced.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The instructor at 0:26 is a fixture at NRA range. Seen her with students more frequently than any other instructor when I darken their doors. I was at a range yesterday and they would not let me move the table 90 degrees to shoot seated with a rifle on a bag. NRA is no nonsense, no problem doing that there. You can remove the table as well and draw from holster.

I posted that because Donna was part of the project. The article is in the current edition of American Rifleman mag.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I took a refresher/renewal for MD. there , during class it came up about OC .....I said I OC at my place of business she said I would get in trouble as it is wrong to do . When we had a break she stepped out and I was talking and said I was still going to open carry . She smile at me and I said we are going to have to disagree about it .

I like her and her husband , I do believe she was wrong for giving me an opinion when we are looking for facts . I could care less what opinions are when in a class environment .

I have had trouble with one other gun store mentioned here , I don't want to go into it but it involved an imaginary line at the counter that the sales guy thought I crossed . If he had a line he should have told everyone by marking it on the floor . LOL

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I have had exactly one experience with worth a shot, back a couple years ago when the HQL requirement first came out. They were quick and reliable. I haven't been back since and I have not purchased firearms or training from them.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I'm not doubting you but can you share how she gained that knowledge?

Without going to the meetings I'm not sure how one would have a true grasp of what has transpired.

She told me she sits on some board with the State Police , and gets the information from them .
    She lead me to believe she advises them in some way .

If you want to know my opinion i just think she is fed information by insiders that do know . IMHO

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I am also in the 5 min away club and have stopped in twice, left empty handed both times. This was before they moved into the bigger space at the end of the building so someone is giving them money. I was not impressed with the people or their prices. I will drop in and ck out the new digs but don't have much hope in giving them my money.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Picked up a Spikes "Crusader" AR lower there last week.
    Staff was friendly and courteous. I knew what I wanted and price was about what other IP here were asking and is only 15 min away.
    Seemed to have a big selection of handguns but I wasn't there for that so can't speak of the prices on those.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    At the range a fellow member questioned me on arriving with loaded magazines. Informed him that it is legal to transport loaded magazines that are separated from the handgun. He said during the Utah class Donna informed them it is illegal in MD to transport loaded magazines.

Fortunately, I have a copy of the 2010 letter from Mark Bowen AAG in my range-bag & glove compartment, therefore gave him one for his use. He couldn't understand how she didn't know about the letter.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    At the range a fellow member questioned me on arriving with loaded magazines. Informed him that it is legal to transport loaded magazines that are separated from the handgun. He said during the Utah class Donna informed them it is illegal in MD to transport loaded magazines.

Fortunately, I have a copy of the 2010 letter from Mark Bowen AAG in my range-bag & glove compartment, therefore gave him one for his use. He couldn't understand how she didn't know about the letter.

Whenever I teach classes, I always make sure to distribute a copy of the Bowen letter to my attendees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom