• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    Has anyone taken one of these courses and submitted recently? I'm curious to know if anyone can give me an idea on the current wait time to obtain this permit once submitted. Thanks in advance.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    58-60 days is the average that we're hearing from our students currently. That time starts once the payment has been deducted for the permit fee.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I believe I took my class Feb 18 -- Check was deposited March 21, and I'm still waiting for the card in the mail! So, I guess I'm looking at 2 more weeks from the sounds of it :sad20:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Class taken on 2/19, payment processed 3/15, permit received yesterday.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Class taken on 2/19, payment processed 3/15, permit received yesterday.

**** I took the class along with some other folk on this site yesterday and we were told to expect up to 90 days.. :sad20:

The class at Engage in Rockville was really good. Looking forward to applying for FL once this one comes in.

In the meantime, I will just buy more guns and ammo.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    **** I took the class along with some other folk on this site yesterday and we were told to expect up to 90 days.. :sad20:

Utah's law is 60 days (from when the payment is processed). Not sure where an instructor is getting 90 days from, unless they're counting the time that its mailed and waiting to be opened/processed.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Utah's law is 60 days (from when the payment is processed). Not sure where an instructor is getting 90 days from, unless they're counting the time that its mailed and waiting to be opened/processed.

Have a feeling that's the case.

When I took my class, the instructor had informed us it could be up to a month before Utah BCI even processed payment due to the amount of applicants lately.

But to those that are currently waiting, I've noticed Utah does a pretty good job of keeping it under 45 days once payment is processed, so don't get too flustered just yet. :)

Feb 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Wife and I are both taking the course this Saturday. Looking forward to receiving my CFP before my next trip to Arkansas...reciprocity all the way there and back, with exception to MD of course!

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Has anyone taken one of these courses and submitted recently? I'm curious to know if anyone can give me an idea on the current wait time to obtain this permit once submitted. Thanks in advance.

I was in Utah in February and was advised that the BCI is receiving 4,000 to 5,000 non-resident applications each week. This is up from 1,500 a week last year. As a result it may take up to 2 weeks before a payment is processed. Once the payment has been processed, they start the "60 day" time clock as required by Utah law. They are trying to hire additional personnel and, once they do, they will start processing the payments faster.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Patty and I were in Utah in April for recertification. At that time, BCI was getting about 8,000 applications per week.

Basically the applications come in and are filed on a waiting rack based on time of reciept. The applications are then taken from the rack to be processed. This is taking about 2-3 weeks. Once the envelope is opened and the application is being worked, it will take up to a week to get reciepted (i.e you check or credit card clears). Once the funds are in place, the actual processing begins and the 60 day clock starts.

So, you are looking at about a 90 day turn-around based on mailing transit time and actual processing.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    I remember it was no more, if not exactly 60 days from when the check for the permit fee cleared my bank that the envelope containing the permit arrived from BCI. Luckily that was a busy summer, so I had forgotten about it.

As to patiently waiting, we're all veterans at this by now :D

Edited: Sixty days, not six.

Unodeuce

Feb 22, 2013
    Rising Sun, MD
    Took the course on Feb 7, mailed in papers on Feb 8th and got permit April 15th. Used Credit card for payment. A guy that took the course with me, mailed his in three days later and did not get his returned until this pas weekend (May4th).

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Class Taken: November - December 2012
    *Procrastinated getting Passport Photos and Fingerprints Retaken*
    Mailed Paperwork: February 20 2013
    Credit Card Billed: March 16-17 2013
    Permit Received: May 9 2013

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I've signed up for a class for early next month. Hopefully I can get the permit before the end of summer / early September, but with the MSP lag time for approving new purchases it may not even matter. It's entirely possible I'll get the permit well before the pistol I want to carry.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I've signed up for a class for early next month. Hopefully I can get the permit before the end of summer / early September, but with the MSP lag time for approving new purchases it may not even matter. It's entirely possible I'll get the permit well before the pistol I want to carry.

PS - In case you weren't aware, the Utah permit does nothing in Maryland but make a cool secondary form of ID. Personally, I won't flash it around unless I wanted to be frisked by a hot lady.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Just an update. I was at the BCI for my instructor re-certification in mid-April. The staff told the class they were getting over 8000 applications/renewals per week! In December 2012 it was about 8000 per month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom