• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Get those cheap ass Uncle Mike's or Blackhawk! neoprene holsters for storage to keep scratches off. If you carry, naturally have a good OWB and some sort of IWB for it.
    Simply home defense pistol? Have a decent OWB holster for that pistol. Put that holster on a belt. Keep that holster/belt combo near your HD pistol. If you get into a walking/searching situation, wear it around your underoos. You WILL NEED to have it on your body at some point.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Sadly no, I need to get a couple good ones for my favorites and those that someday may see carry. I have a couple cheapo, universal holster that fit my service size guns well enough in a Jam. For my PA woods gun, I just cant seem to find a good belt holster, its the Ruger Red hawk .45 with the 4.5 inch barrel.

Wouldn't a holster for an N-frame work?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Sadly no, I need to get a couple good ones for my favorites and those that someday may see carry. I have a couple cheapo, universal holster that fit my service size guns well enough in a Jam. For my PA woods gun, I just cant seem to find a good belt holster, its the Ruger Red hawk .45 with the 4.5 inch barrel.

I was looking for something to tote my Super Bisley Blackhawk .44mag. But it's not easy to find leather for a 7.5".

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    As I have been Crafting in Leather for 30 years and recently 2 years in Kydex ,also started Dabbling in Nylon so I have many but use few. I generally fab something as time allows. I can not do too much Hand Sewing like in the Old Days do to Arthur! But still enjoy the design, Fab and Finish of each. Horse Hide is a great Media to work in as it is stiff and holds it's shape well. I did one Monday will Post .

Attachments

• 088.jpg
      088.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 150

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    El Paso Sad Does Great Work here is some more of Mine. As My Financial situation has Changed I may have to start Whoren My Leather Talents From here in Florida. I have a Ruger Red Hawk and could Fab that Model PM Me if You need to. Is the Bisley the same frame as the Vacaro ?

Attachments

• 2012_0308Image0016.jpg
      2012_0308Image0016.jpg
      84.3 KB · Views: 148
    • 2012_0308Image0014.jpg
      2012_0308Image0014.jpg
      89.6 KB · Views: 151
    • 2012_0308Image0009.jpg
      2012_0308Image0009.jpg
      104.9 KB · Views: 229
    Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Don't feel bad, I also have like 3 holsters. And none of them are anything to write home about... one is a bargain basement Kydex holster from CDNN for my P226R, one is the CZ-82 holster that gun came with, and one is a cross-draw sewn on my Blackhawk Omega vest.

There is a part of me that kinda thinks I should buy a bunch of cheapo OWB holsters just so I (or, rather, my squad of hand-picked neighbors) have a way of carrying handguns in a SHTF situation. But if I feel like in that sort of scenario, I'd rather have FLCs so that I could carry a rifle and mags effectively. You can get a lot of surplus gear pretty cheap these days...

On the other hand, I've got lots of slings, and most of them are pretty good ones. I guess that's something.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Take a look at this Bianchi holster for the 6" GP100. I absolutely love it. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=176519

How does that one sit on your belt, high or low?

I was thinking more of a open-top similar to a western or Tom Threeperson's style with minimal retention. Don't really plan on being too mobile with it (no hiking or in and out of vehicles), just need almost a "gun pouch" to slide it in so I can keep it with me when I walk out to change my targets at the range.

The one you linked does look like it would work out fine though. And cheaper than going semi-custom.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Blaster if that Q is for Me IE the Western DL ...it is an 1880's Design and typical of the Period. Single Action Shooting Society Uses Period Leathers and Gear for their Matches. A good source of info is "Packing Iron" and it is a Great Coffee Table Book.

Last edited:

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Since I carry daily, I have multiple holsters for all of my hand guns except my AR-15 pistol. I haven't been able to find one for that yet but I do have a single point sling for it. All of my holsters are good quality leather in order to take the daily wear and tear of carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom