Handheld lights explicitly rated for rifle recoil?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm looking for a 1" diameter handheld light that is explicitly warrantied/recommended by the manufacturer to stand up to rifle recoil when mounted. Is anyone aware of such a beast existing?

Yes, I'm aware that the Surefire G2/3 line will probably handle such use, but Surefire does not recommend that usage.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Didn't we recently have a related thread ?

And unless you are dealing with way heavy recoil like a .50bmg or .338Lapua , a pistol will have more recoil G forces.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Didn't we recently have a related thread ?
    I was asking very specifically about the Surefire M961 in that thread. It is a terrific light for the money, but appropriate for every rifle due to size and weight.

Elzetta flashlights are awesome. Check them out.
    Yeah, they seem to be in the realm of what I'm after, albeit at a higher price than I'd prefer. The Streamlight Strion also seems to advertise itself as being suitable for this sort of usage. I'll probably cheap out in the end and just take my chances with a G2x, maybe with an upgraded tailcap, or maybe I'll hunt up a used Elzetta.

I am learning a lot about mounting weapons lights from my current "put lights on all non-scoped semi-auto centerfire rifles" project. For example, I've always been a bit of a skeptic regarding VFGs, but with the appropriate light mount (FAB Defense PLR, VTAC, etc.), a VFG can make it very easy to get access to the tail-cap on a weapon light and avoid having to use remote pressure pads.

Speaking of remote pressure pads, I'm definitely becoming disillusioned with them... they are shockingly expensive for what they are (the SR07 is like a hundred bucks - WTF?), and mounting them is either annoying (velcro, zip-ties, etc.) and/or costs more money for yet another accessory to hold the pad to the handguard. Admittedly, they are much more convenient to use in some setups than the tailcap button.

I'll post up a pictorial sometime.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Follow-up: I bought a lot of 14 new-old-stock Xenon Pentagonlight X2s ("assembled in the USA maybe with US parts" like Surefires) off the eBayz for ~$15 each shipped. Unlike the Surefire G2s, these were properly shock-proofed for use on rifles, and they've got 6P-esque aluminum bodies. I know Xenon is not the hot new thing, and I'm not sure if they're clicky switches or not, but for that price, I can afford to upgrade them as required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom