• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Anyone know of a case that won't "melt" ?

Went to a range last weekend and saved the AK47 for last. Put about 400 rounds thru it and it was HOT. Couldn't case it up for about a half hour since it would melt the inner foam and/or nylon covering. Same problem with the AR15.

Are there any cases that are made with materials that can take the heat ?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Maybe a candidate for this:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=200150

Or some other sort of battery powered fan.

A leather case should be heat resistant, but I can only think of the scabbard type for old-timey guns...probably too skinny for an AR/AK. You might be able to get one made...but it wouldn't be cheap. Maybe you could find a pair of fat person's leather pants at Good Will and modify a leg? :shrug: Just spitballin' here...but don't spit on your guns (well...that probably is the correct lube for the AK...:D)

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Hmmmmmm, interesting thought. High temp silicone sheet with gun in a heat resistant sleeve might just do the trick.

I was about to purchase one of these and did some more research.

The prevailing thought is it will keep your bag from melting. However, the sleeve is going to keep the barrel hot. It will act like insulation. So while your bag may not melt you are keeping the heat in and not allowing the barrel to cool off naturally. Not so sure that is a good idea.

I have a feeling if it was a good idea it would have been invented by now.

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I was about to purchase one of these and did some more research.

The prevailing thought is it will keep your bag from melting. However, the sleeve is going to keep the barrel hot. It will act like insulation. So while your bag may not melt you are keeping the heat in and not allowing the barrel to cool off naturally. Not so sure that is a good idea.

I have a feeling if it was a good idea it would have been invented by now.

It does not matter.

Quick way to cool barrel, open bolt and stand it vertical on stock.

If you pour ice cold water through, it's amazing how hot it comes out the muzzle. Quickest way I've seen.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Fastest way to cool a barrel is with a "barrel cool"....google it. I can't post a link as everything is blocked at work.

Essentially a chamber flag with a built in fan....works wonders and cools from the inside out, rather than outside in. Best $40 ever spent.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But seriously , some of the serious benchrest type guys like to get their bbls stone cold between 5 shot groups, and have various home built and specialty rigs thereof.

The basic methodology include :

Electric fans ( usually batt ).
    Water
    CO 2

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    But seriously , some of the serious benchrest type guys like to get their bbls stone cold between 5 shot groups, and have various home built and specialty rigs thereof.

Water
    CO 2

.. and some won't start scoring until barrel is warm. That could be a 400 post thread.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Fastest way to cool a barrel is with a "barrel cool"....google it. I can't post a link as everything is blocked at work.

Essentially a chamber flag with a built in fan....works wonders and cools from the inside out, rather than outside in. Best $40 ever spent.

Worth a look.
    http://barrelcool.com/product/barrelcool/

And one specifically for an AR
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/529577/caldwell-accumax-barrel-cooler-ar-15

Water
    CO 2

I wonder if a can of compressed air might work ? Comes out pretty darn cold.

Maybe a candidate for this:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=200150

Or some other sort of battery powered fan.

A leather case should be heat resistant, but I can only think of the scabbard type for old-timey guns...probably too skinny for an AR/AK. You might be able to get one made...but it wouldn't be cheap. Maybe you could find a pair of fat person's leather pants at Good Will and modify a leg? :shrug: Just spitballin' here...but don't spit on your guns (well...that probably is the correct lube for the AK...:D)

I like the old leather pants idea. With what I do, if I keep on the lookout for them sooner or later I'll come across an old beat up pair I can get for next to nothing. Cut off a leg, stitch up the ends, slit longways and attach a handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom