Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 14th, 2018, 01:00 AM #1

Hand gun storage

I have a question for anyone willing to answer.
I finally got my hql and would like to purchase my first handgun. Unfortunately I currently live with family until I get an apartment later this year/early next year, who do not want firearms in the household. Can I legally store a hand gun at a close friends house (everyone there is over the age of 21) in a triple locked case with no ammo or magazines being stored with the firearm or at the same residence? It would just be the handgun itself without magazines or ammo. It would be in a double locked hard case with a trigger lock also. If this is possible would I need to leave a letter with them or statement of who has possession of the firearm along with contact info and hql number?
Glocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 01:11 AM #2
Banned

Banned

I have no idea about the legalities of what you're asking BUT if you're just going to "store" it what's the rush ? Handgun/mags/ammo prices have dropped pretty dramatically across the board and there's nothing on the horizon suggesting they'll go back up any time soon so why not just wait ? Unless you've got a line on some fantastic deal you can stock up now on accessories and get the gun later.
AlanInSilverSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 01:23 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInSilverSpring View Post
I have no idea about the legalities of what you're asking BUT if you're just going to "store" it what's the rush ? Handgun/mags/ammo prices have dropped pretty dramatically across the board and there's nothing on the horizon suggesting they'll go back up any time soon so why not just wait ? Unless you've got a line on some fantastic deal you can stock up now on accessories and get the gun later.
I would like to practice shooting and become familiar with the firearm in my spare time
Old March 14th, 2018, 01:35 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocko View Post
I would like to practice shooting and become familiar with the firearm in my spare time
Perhaps renting a handgun would work for you if they have the model you are planning to buy, or if you haven't made up your mind on exactly what you want it would give you the chance to try out a variety of handguns.

As for your question it probably is legal, if your friend wants to take the responsibility of safe guarding your handgun. But I would ask a lawyer to be sure, in case something does happen to it.
Brychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 01:36 AM #5

Basically you would be loaning your firearm to your friend which "should" be fine as long as your friend already has a handgun license. If not, it's a big No No.
Aventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 01:43 AM #6
I nose nothing

I nose nothing

Idk the answer, but I'm curious. Sounds like lending, but if it's locked and they don't have the key do they even have legitimate access to it.
Old March 14th, 2018, 01:46 AM #7
Cynical Smartass

Cynical Smartass

I hate questions like this. I'm leaning towards don't do it unless Hillary Clinton is a close friend.
You just want to suck the joy out of everything!
Glaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 01:51 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventus View Post
Basically you would be loaning your firearm to your friend which "should" be fine as long as your friend already has a handgun license. If not, it's a big No No.
They would not have any access or ability to access and use the firearm. Only I would be able to access the fire arm. Unfortunately nobody who lives there's has an hql. That's where I hit the wall that is a gray area as I don't want to accidentally do anything illegal.
Old March 14th, 2018, 01:54 AM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by protegeV View Post
Idk the answer, but I'm curious. Sounds like lending, but if it's locked and they don't have the key do they even have legitimate access to it.
Nobody in the residence would have access to the firearm. Only I ever would, unfortunately nobody there has an hql and that's where it goes into a gray area as I do not want to accidentally do anything illegal.
Old March 14th, 2018, 02:20 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocko View Post
They would not have any access or ability to access and use the firearm. Only I would be able to access the fire arm. Unfortunately nobody who lives there's has an hql. That's where I hit the wall that is a gray area as I don't want to accidentally do anything illegal.
It doesn't matter if your friend has access. What matters is he/she has possession and without a license, you and your friend would be in violation of the law in a major way. Don't do it!

My recommendation is to try to find a gun range that also sells firearms. See if you can purchase the firearm there and store it at their facility so you can come in and use it at the range. I heard some ranges have lockers to rent or they will just let you do that for a limited amount of time.

Why can't you keep it where you currently reside?
Aventus is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns

Tags
#handgun, #laws