• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I finally got to shoot both handguns last Sunday at a real nice range, Sanner's Lake Sportsmans Club.

I can say from the first few shots both guns were off, which is to be expected being they both just came from a plastic box after being bounced around after being manufacturerd. The Walther P22 did great except for it shot to the left about four inches. After a sight adjustment the gun was good from then on. Ken (the Southern Maryland NRA Handgun Instructor adjusted the sight, that's why it was good) If I did it, I'd still be there trying to figure out what I was doing.

Both of us put a few rounds through the gun, and had no problem at all as the spent shells were ejected as they should, and the new rounds acted perfectly. I wanted to be sure it was the gun itself that was the problem, and not me? So Ken also fed a few rounds through the gun, and he found it to be off as well. But we checked this out before he adjusted the rear sight.

Now for the Mosquito. I had the CCI Mini Mags in as the manufacturer said these were the what was suggested. The first clip, after each round I actually had to pull the slide back to eject the spent shell and feed the new round. After thinking about this I took a fresh box of 40 grain Mini Mag .22 ammo and loaded the next mag. This cured the slide problem as well as the gun was feeding ammo as well.

The Mosquito was shooting about six inches high, but this couldn't be fixed at the range. When you get the Mosquito new they provide extra front sights. One is taller (if your gun is shooting high, this sight will fix this problem depending on how far you are away from the target) I believe this will fix my shooting high problem? But I will have to wait until next time? Now this gun did have a couple of feeding issues, but I figure with time and the right set-up it should get better.

Both guns are really very nice guns that are cheap and fun to shoot. I found while taking the NRA Basic Handgun Course that between Ken (The Teacher/Instructor) and myself, I would bet we didn't use 100 rounds.

Between taking the NRA Course, and shooting these two small handguns was the highlight of my Sunday afternoon. I don't know of a better way to spend a beautiful day than by putting little holes in a few targets.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Right, the Skeeter needs, needs, needs to be cleaned first. Sig puts some funky stuff in the gun from the factory and that needs to get cleaned out. I also took off the left grip and sprayed Rem Oil into every place I could reach. That helped the trigger a little and the function a lot.

The gun comes apart easily so changing that front sight is cake....just don't break the one you end up wanting to use like I did lol. Someone had a great suggestion of using a sharpie to push the little tabs that hold it and that suggestion is golden.

I originally wanted the Walther because, let's face it, it looks cool :). But I found my Skeeter for too good a price to pass up. I think I have about 2K rounds through mine...or more because I am not keeping track....and it is still finnicky about ammo. It won't shoot bulk 550 packs well. It will shoot mini-mags, thunderbolots, and Federal Auto Match 100%. Winchester HV is hit or miss on function.

The gun is not terribly accurate beyond 7 yards, but more accurate than I am (I have the short barrel).

Also, check the main spring. Some Skeeters like the heavy spring and some, like mine, only function on the light (white) spring. Make SURE the spring is installed properly....the narrow end goes on first. Some Skeeters like the heavy spring with one ammo and the light spring with other ammo. You really have to get to know the gun and what it likes.

I use Rem Oil on mine while using GunSlick grease on the slide. This seems to work as the slide needs to move very freely. The mag needs to be kept clean too, spray in some GunBlaster and follow with a touch of CLP.

Some guns are just jam-o-matics no matter the model or maker. I have heard bad things about the P-22 but I would still buy one and take my chances or do my mods to make it work.

Splitter

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    To be honest I did clean both guns before I took them out to the range. I also oiled them down and cleaned up any access as not to have too much oil. But I had so much fun that a little thing like the slide not coming back and doing what it was supposed to is in no way going to say anything bad about the Mosquito.

I had such a great time using both guns that really I couldn't have had a better time doing any of the other typical so called MAN stuff. Stuff like fishing, hot rodding, racing, water sking, ect. No, I don't get into sail boating or golfing, but did I say I had a great time shooting the two absolutely fantastic guns on Sunday?

My favorite out of the two is the Mosquito, the P22 is a great gun as well, and it is a very close second but the Sig has a certain feeling to it that makes it one of those guns you fall in love with. And the cost difference between the two is quite a bit when it comes right down to it.

My Sig was in the mid 300's, while the Walther was over $500.00, I guess because it came with their red laser? That was the only one available at the time and everyone else was sold out, so I opted to get what I could at the time. And I'm in no way sorry either.

I know from some of you all who own both guns can certainly tell me a thing or two dozen (that is why I wrote this to begin with) And from past experience I know the guns will operate much better after I do what I'm told I should do in order to correct any problem I may have with either one.

And I'm still learning, so anything you all come up with as suggestions go, please keep them coming. The slide deal on the Mosquito I believe happened because I didn't have enough "umph" as the correct grain went. I immediately switched to the 40 grain rounds and never had another problem with the slide. I think I had 32 grain rounds in the first clip, but I'm not sure?

Honestly I can say any related problems were operator error, and not that of the gun itself. Ken shot off a few rounds with both guns, and his first impression was he fell in love with the P22. The P22 has slightly more recoil than the Sig does (I believe mostly because of the weight difference, and the size difference of the two guns. The P22 is lighter and the barrel is shorter). But the Sig when fired acted like it didn't even move in your hand, and this allows you to follow through to the next shot quickly and easily.

The funny thing is I have a .357 and two 9mm's I didn't even desire to shoot because I was having too much fun with the Mosquito and the P22. All I can say is they are both some kind of fine well designed guns. And if anyone out there who has never fired either one, if you ever have the opportunity to do so, you really need to do just that. I can say if I didn't already own these guns and got to use someone elses at a range. I would be headed to the closest Sporting Goods Store to buy them.

They were just flat out fun.

inconel710

Feb 24, 2008
    Glad you liked the Mosquito. I've had mine almost two years now and it's really a great gun. I looked at the old Walther P22's when I bought the Skeeter and couldn't get over how toy-like they seemed. The new ones are nice, but I'm married to the Skeeter, now!

My experience is the same as Splitter's - even after a couple thousand rounds it's still picky about ammo. CCI Mini-Mags and Federal seem best for mine. Winchester HV - not so much.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Either way someone goes, you are not going to beat the cost of ammo! It's great to put a couple hundred rounds downrange for less than 10 bucks. And when you want to work on different stances, point shooting, flash shooting, off hand shooting, etc.., it's nice to get the basics down for .04 per round.

I really only do a couple mags out of the larger caliber pistols now. I shoot the .22 and work on "stuff", then I confirm that I can do the same thing with the larger caliber and stay familiar with it. Saves me a LOT of money.

I still want a P22 for the look but since I already have a functioning .22, my sights are set elsewhere.

Splitter

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    The crazy thing about both the Skeeter and the P22 is the grouping I got from both guns. While I was taking the NRA Basic Pistol Course with Ken who was my Instructor/Teacher told me I was grouping my shots in an area no bigger than 2" at 15 yards.

Granted that isn't a big deal at 45 feet, but I haven't picked up any kind of a gun at all in 20 years. I've done shooting way back when at a NRA Offical Range shooting a bolt action .22 Rifle, but I was doing that between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. I'm now 53, so this tells you I really have not done any serious target shooting in quite a long time. As far as any handguns go, I've run about 100 rounds through my Ruger .44 Revolver, and maybe another 40 or so rounds through my Bersa .380. Oh, and I did a few clips through an old Colt .45, but nothing to speak of.

The only thing I was wanting to point out is these small .22's are accurate, easy to shoot; and can even take someone like myself with some great training from Ken, and in a short period of time you can be grouping shots better than you thought possible. Honestly it's the Instructor and the guns, not me.

Now I know the P22 and the Skeeter can shoot tight groups of little holes in the paper, I want to do more of this. I have placed a call in to the manufacturer of Swiss Cheese to see if They purchased the ammo, I'd shoot the holes into the cheese for them. Aw heck, I'll make the holes for free. Just bring the cheese.:sad20:

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I got to run some ammo through a Skeeter with a 5" barrel today (mine is the short barrel) and it made a difference. The longer barrel grouped better evern though the sigfht radius is the same on either configuration.

The longer barrel also changed the balance of the gun and added some heft....not much but a little (I can feel the differences between one baseball and the next so it's a matter of habit).

I like my Skeeter, but I may have to find a 5" kit.

Splitter

ArmyDV

Krull the Warrior King
    Jan 10, 2009
    I purchased a Mosquito just over a month ago, and the first time I took it to the range I had issues for the first 30 minutes. First issue showed up with the first round (as recommended I was using CCI Mini Mags), it wouldn't chamber... thinking the bullet was jacked up I proceeded to eject and chamber a second round; same issue. The round was sitting with the tip of the bullet pressed against the barrel but wouldn't chamber. I was thinking "WTF, this is a .22 right?". After dropping the magazine and inspecting closely, I noticed that there was a very fine metal sliver ring that was preventing the round from chambering. Now, I had cleaned it well prior to going to the range... including running a boresnake through it a few times. The metal ring looked copper in color, and was sort of sitting there so I grabbed my gerber and pulled it out. It almost looked like a metal ring that came off of the first round??? weird. So then I, started over. Now with a round chambered I pulled the trigger, nothing. Ejected that round and looked at it to see if it had an impression on the rim... nope. Try again, nope... thinking WTF again I started to get frustrated. So taking a time out and thinking about things before I became lazy and did something stupid, I disassembled it and inspected as much as I could. Nothing stood out as odd to me, so I assembled it and tried again. This time when I pulled the trigger, it fired. After a few fail to feeds within the first couple magazines, it began to work flawless. I'm not sure what was going on in the beginning, but I haven't had any other issues with about 200 rounds through it. I can say that after about 30 minutes of WTF, I am now very pleased with it. I still don't know what the metal circular sliver was...

DLiller

Jun 29, 2009
    Maryland, Florida
    I shot a one of the sig mosquitos last week. I loved it. No problems at all. One of the guys there said he had purchased one of the Walther P22s and put a silencer on it. He said he wasnt really happy with the gun. Said it was jamming a lot with different types of ammo.

Ive never shot one of the Walthers, so I cant really comment to much.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I purchased a Mosquito just over a month ago, and the first time I took it to the range I had issues for the first 30 minutes. First issue showed up with the first round (as recommended I was using CCI Mini Mags), it wouldn't chamber... thinking the bullet was jacked up I proceeded to eject and chamber a second round; same issue. The round was sitting with the tip of the bullet pressed against the barrel but wouldn't chamber. I was thinking "WTF, this is a .22 right?". After dropping the magazine and inspecting closely, I noticed that there was a very fine metal sliver ring that was preventing the round from chambering. Now, I had cleaned it well prior to going to the range... including running a boresnake through it a few times. The metal ring looked copper in color, and was sort of sitting there so I grabbed my gerber and pulled it out. It almost looked like a metal ring that came off of the first round??? weird. So then I, started over. Now with a round chambered I pulled the trigger, nothing. Ejected that round and looked at it to see if it had an impression on the rim... nope. Try again, nope... thinking WTF again I started to get frustrated. So taking a time out and thinking about things before I became lazy and did something stupid, I disassembled it and inspected as much as I could. Nothing stood out as odd to me, so I assembled it and tried again. This time when I pulled the trigger, it fired. After a few fail to feeds within the first couple magazines, it began to work flawless. I'm not sure what was going on in the beginning, but I haven't had any other issues with about 200 rounds through it. I can say that after about 30 minutes of WTF, I am now very pleased with it. I still don't know what the metal circular sliver was...

I don't know what was happening there? I took mine out of the box, cleaned it, and went to the range. I did have a problem with the first clip of .22 rounds, but that was my own fault (maybe the ring came from inside one of the clips?). I found the .22 rounds had better be 36 grain or better just to make the slide work like it should. It you use lower grain ammo (like I did unknowingly) the slide wont work, and I had to actually grab the slide and pull it back to load another round after each shot.

Once I realised what my dumb ass did, the gun was perfecto. Another issue from what I have heard about are the plastic mags that either become warped due to heat or were already that way will mis-feed ammo where the shooter will think it's the guns fault. When it isn't the gun causing the problem.

Personally I loved the balance and the weight of the Skeeter compaired to the Walther P22, but as with everything else, it's the shooter who feels what they like, not me. As for both little guns, they are flat accurate and fun to shoot. Now that .22 Mini Mags are becoming more available, it's getting to be fun again.

ewarfare

Feb 18, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    I've been reading a lot of problems about the Mosquito, but it's good to see that people are having fun with them.

I shot the P22 and loved it. However, I can't help but to shoot a Ruger first before I take the plunge and buy a .22 pistol. Though it doesn't look nearly as nice as a P22, the all-metal construction of the Ruger leads me to think it will last a lot longer.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    What do you guys think of mine. I wanted to improve the sight picture as much as i could.
    Mosquitowithdot.jpg

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Ah, cool, I also have the reverse two tone. I didn't want it but I got a deal on the gun so I took it. It has grown on me and I think it's the best look now.

Does the scope get in the way of the sights? I assums it does. Just curious.

Splitter

Splitter

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I just got a used Walther P22.... It has worked flawlessly for about 300 rounds.

I like it because it is fun to shoot and cheap. Accurate and reliable.
    I also just got done helping to teach the Basic Pistol class at Cresap this past weekend to 24 women. It was by far the favorite .22 we had. The ladies like it because it was easy to operate, fit well, and was light.

With all that being said I have never directly compared it to a sig.

Just my 2 cents.

Capt Frank

Feb 2, 2009
    Kent Island Maryland
    Bought a Mosquito about 4 months ago so my wife and I could shoot together. I have a Sig29 , 40 cal and she would not even consider firing it. She has shot the Mosquito about 400 times and I guess, I have put a couple hundred rounds thru it. The first day and the first clip, I had a couple f/f and f/L's , but since then , it's been just about flawless. Fun gun, accurate and a lot less expensive then the 40. For $300 ....how can you go wrong?

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    What kind of mount is that? Where did you get it?

I am trying to get a Mosquito with a threaded barrel for my silencer.

Dave
    I got the mount from tannermans in martinsburg WV. Its the sig bridge mount. They make it specifically for the mosquito. When i bought mine there were 3 left on the shelf. $50.00 ea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom