Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 26th, 2019, 06:32 PM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackM View Post
I have a gunpowder-related issue. I have a 1916 .32 cal Pocket Colt. A friend said modern gunpowder will corrode the barrel. Is that true? What ammo should I put through it? Also, where can I get an original holster for it?

You should move this to the handgun forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbird7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:02 AM #32
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
I have a gunpowder-related issue. I have a 1916 .32 cal Pocket Colt. A friend said modern gunpowder will corrode the barrel. Is that true? What ammo should I put through it? Also, where can I get an original holster for it?
Find another friend. There are a number of different cartridges that are ".32 cal" so in order to pick the right one you need to know what the chamber dimensions are and if in doubt consult a gunsmith. You will be able to find out more information in the Handgun (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26) and/or the Curio and Relic (C&R) (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83) sections of MDS. The more information you can provide about the firearm, what all the markings are serial number etc., the better your answers will be because there are many similar firearms and often many variations of the same make and model. Pictures help.
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 10:12 AM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by buellsfurn View Post
Thanks i only have small amount pulled 250 40 cal and didn't want to put it in the trash bag
It makes great fertilizer.

Spread on lawn or garden.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 10:13 AM #34

Quote:
Your friend does not know what he/she is talking about.

1916 should be smokeless powder. None of which are corrosive.
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:44 PM #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Your friend does not know what he/she is talking about.

1916 should be smokeless powder. None of which are corrosive.
Depending on the date and place of manufacture, some primers are corrosive due to their leaving salts behind after detonation. Factory ammo of the day for that pistol was most certainly made with corrosive primers.

The U.S. govt. switched over to non-corrosive primers by 1950. Since most domestic ammo suppliers in the U.S. also supplied the U.S. military, they also switched over when advantageous. Other countries like former Soviet Union used corrosive primers until some time in the 80's.

If you do shoot corrosive ammo, just rinse the barrel and action with a Balistol + water mix when you get home from the range. The Balistol protects from oxidation. Shooting corrosive ammo is not a big deal. Using the correct ammo for your firearm is a big deal.

#WeWillNotComply
PowPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:46 PM #36

I would advocate the lawn as a suitable place for disposing of powder that is no longer viable or has been otherwise found to be spoiled.

#WeWillNotComply
PowPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:52 PM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowPow View Post
Depending on the date and place of manufacture, some primers are corrosive due to their leaving salts behind after detonation. Factory ammo of the day for that pistol was most certainly made with corrosive primers.

The U.S. govt. switched over to non-corrosive primers by 1950. Since most domestic ammo suppliers in the U.S. also supplied the U.S. military, they also switched over when advantageous. Other countries like former Soviet Union used corrosive primers until some time in the 80's.

If you do shoot corrosive ammo, just rinse the barrel and action with a Balistol + water mix when you get home from the range. The Balistol protects from oxidation. Shooting corrosive ammo is not a big deal. Using the correct ammo for your firearm is a big deal.
+1

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:53 PM #38

Quote:
I would advocate the lawn as a suitable place for disposing of powder that is no longer viable or has been otherwise found to be spoiled.
This will work if you don't have a place to burn it on the 4th.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:59 PM #39
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

With the added benefit of being able to tell your liberal neighbors when they ask what kind of fertilizer do you use to make your grass so green.
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 08:48 AM #40

Quote:

Yes, but the point was, MODERN ammo is not a problem for corrosion.

And BTW, commercial ammo in the US switched to non-corrosive primers well before the US military did. There were concerns about the long term storage life of the early non-corrosive primers.

Also, all M1 Carbine US mil ammo is non-corrosive.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading