• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 521FF

Jul 23, 2016
    Owings, MD
    With the permit review board now abolished - is it still worth trying to get a CCW in the lovely state of Maryland? Knowing full well the permit if issued will be full of restrictions that can not be removed?

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Only you can decide if it's worth your time and money to try.

Perhaps go to the Introductions Forum and tell us more about yourself.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5319359&postcount=2542

I see in your page bio you are a stay at home dad (Michael Keaton approves), and from this post, you have rentals

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5319359&postcount=2542

Good luck!!

About 521FF

Biography
    48, retired from construction industry, full time stay-at-home Dad, husband, farmer, hunter.

Interests
    IDPA, Steel Challenge, Reloading, hunting, farming, Homeschooling, reading

Occupation
    Full Time Dad/Homeschool Dad, husband, farmer, friend

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    My permit lists two businesses. One is listed as my rentals" Restrictions state "valid only while conducting business as owner of (ABC BUSSINESS/RENTALS".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Your bio also says you are a farmer. Two friends have gotten permits by being farmers.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    With the permit review board now abolished - is it still worth trying to get a CCW in the lovely state of Maryland? Knowing full well the permit if issued will be full of restrictions that can not be removed?

Yes, unless you are certain you don't qualify under Maryland law. If you have a CCW, at least you can go to the range and stop for gas while you have a handgun in the car and not be guilty of illegal storage of a handgun.

May 25, 2019
    Gonna hijack this to ask as well so I don't create a wasteful thread.

I'm moving to MD next week for work and I was wondering if my situation might be worth trying for a ccw. I know they're hard to get.

I have a Massachusetts carry license, which is a tough state to get it in as well. And I'm a Department of Defense employee with a high security clearance so I've been through every background check in the book. Wondering if I have a fair shot at a CCW, if any of that would persuade them a little more. Idk what reason I'm gonna cite when I write in though. Maybe someone at my new job will have advice for me or someone here.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Yes, unless you are certain you don't qualify under Maryland law. If you have a CCW, at least you can go to the range and stop for gas while you have a handgun in the car and not be guilty of illegal storage of a handgun.

Be very careful with this. As I understand it, if you are outside your restrictions it's like the license to carry doesn't even exist, and all of Maryland's ridiculous transport laws still apply.

Gonna hijack this to ask as well so I don't create a wasteful thread.

I'm moving to MD next week for work and I was wondering if my situation might be worth trying for a ccw. I know they're hard to get.

I have a Massachusetts carry license, which is a tough state to get it in as well. And I'm a Department of Defense employee with a high security clearance so I've been through every background check in the book. Wondering if I have a fair shot at a CCW, if any of that would persuade them a little more. Idk what reason I'm gonna cite when I write in though. Maybe someone at my new job will have advice for me or someone here.

MD doesn't give two sh!ts about any other states so your MA license carries no weight. That said, your employer and clearance combined with the OPM breach should be enough to get you a MD license. Others with this combination (all three) have been granted the privilege of exercising their fundamental rights.

May 25, 2019
    MD doesn't give two sh!ts about any other states so your MA license carries no weight. That said, your employer and clearance combined with the OPM breach should be enough to get you a MD license. Others with this combination (all three) have been granted the privilege of exercising their fundamental rights.

Thanks for the info. OPM probably doesn't affect me I'm a newer employee but maybe my security officer would give me a letter or something. I'll start asking people at work, I've heard it's a god damn battle and there's a lot of steps involved.

MackM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2018
    It worked for me. I got my permit in Feb 2019, with a restriction of "while employed by a DOD contractor". And the HPRB is not yet down for the count. Gov. Hogan just a few days ago vetoed the bill that would have disbanded it. Now, if we can just convince the MD Gen Assy not to override his veto. And www.MarylandShallIssue.org is working on that too (called MSI for short). Join them for $25/yr. Go ahead and apply for the WCP. And MSI will help with the paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom