Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Neighborhood > Washington D.C.
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2018, 11:03 AM #11
swinokur's Avatar
swinokur swinokur is offline
In a State of Denial
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gulag Montgomery
Posts: 45,277
swinokur swinokur is offline
In a State of Denial
swinokur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gulag Montgomery
Posts: 45,277
Well I know transport is legal if you comply with FOPA. Carry without a permit is obviously not.
__________________
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 07:49 AM #12
ClassicGun ClassicGun is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
ClassicGun ClassicGun is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
I had the shipping FFL fill out the sellers side and provide it with the gun. However, the officer there said that was not necessary. But... just to err on the side of caution, I had seller fill it in anyway and a copy of seller's FFL.
ClassicGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 07:52 AM #13
ClassicGun ClassicGun is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
ClassicGun ClassicGun is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamplynx View Post
Thanks for the info. Have been thinking of getting my C&R. So you donít have to fill out the seller portion of the PD-219, and as an FFL licensee it is kosher with DC law to take possession before having the DC registration cert?

One other question. When you applied for FFL you hade to notify local LE, correct? Where did you mail the notification?
- Seller part not necessary as 03 FFL holder, but I did it anyway.
- Local LE is Peter Newsham, Chief of Police, MPD 300 Indiana. C&R took about 5 weeks.
- I had possession and told them so, they didn't object. Officer actually said "that's a cool gun".
ClassicGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 07:55 AM #14
ClassicGun ClassicGun is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
ClassicGun ClassicGun is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
How could you register a gun you don't have yet?

Not being a smart ass, just wondering what the alternative would be.
I guess you could do it on paper, using just the serial # and characteristics before having it shipped to you.

I'm still under the waiting period for the background check, I will update the forum once I do some long guns and some old .45s. My guess is once they get used to seeing you, it goes by painlessly.
ClassicGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 07:58 AM #15
ClassicGun ClassicGun is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
ClassicGun ClassicGun is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
Except in your case you are the FFL, so it would be legal yes?
I did and they were told that's what I did, and they did not object. Obviously until it's registered, you can not use it or transport it out of your house. It's unclear how long you have to go down there and register it after taking possession. I went the next day to be safe.
ClassicGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 02:21 PM #16
mooko mooko is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: DC
Posts: 7
mooko mooko is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: DC
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGun View Post
I guess you could do it on paper, using just the serial # and characteristics before having it shipped to you.

I'm still under the waiting period for the background check, I will update the forum once I do some long guns and some old .45s. My guess is once they get used to seeing you, it goes by painlessly.
As I just got my C&R, I was wondering if everything went OK with the Luger and any other curios/relics you got later.
mooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 03:43 PM #17
BlueHeeler's Avatar
BlueHeeler BlueHeeler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,605
BlueHeeler BlueHeeler is offline
Senior Member
BlueHeeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooko View Post
As I just got my C&R, I was wondering if everything went OK with the Luger and any other curios/relics you got later.
Not OP, but I have a DC C&R. Acting as your own FFL saves so much time, money, and aggravation.

The training and background procedures have changed since I completed mine, so I will not comment on that process. After you satisfy those requirements, C&R registration is straightforward.

To register a C&R firearm here is the process as (I understand):
1. Order firearm online
2. Wait for the firearm to arrive at your door
3. Fill out Form PD-219. Do not fill out seller portion.
4. Bring the PD-219 to registration
5. C&R Licence
6. Pay $13
7. Done

The only problem I have had was attempting to register a Yugo Tokarev. The pistol is not specifically on the C&R list, so DC said "no go" because I could not prove to their satisfaction that it was eligible.

The List: https://www.atf.gov/file/128116/download
BlueHeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 06:46 PM #18
BeoBill's Avatar
BeoBill BeoBill is offline
Crank in the Third Row
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 南馬里蘭州鮑伊
Posts: 16,338
BeoBill BeoBill is offline
Crank in the Third Row
BeoBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 南馬里蘭州鮑伊
Posts: 16,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamplynx View Post
Thatís is my assumption, yes, but this is DC and my BGOS runs strong, so Iíll be reading the possession statute carefully.
Makes sense to me, as you're doing an FFL-to-FFL transfer. And I've never gotten the S/N before I opened the box.
__________________
Formerly "The Pitbull from OSD Policy." To err is human. To forgive is not SAC policy.
ďThose who beat their arms into plows will plow for those who donít.Ē

Dark to Light; sheep no more. WWG1WGA WWNC
#MorePatriotsThanHandcuffs
BeoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 05:04 AM #19
mooko mooko is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: DC
Posts: 7
mooko mooko is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: DC
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeeler View Post
Not OP, but I have a DC C&R. Acting as your own FFL saves so much time, money, and aggravation.

The training and background procedures have changed since I completed mine, so I will not comment on that process. After you satisfy those requirements, C&R registration is straightforward.

To register a C&R firearm here is the process as (I understand):
1. Order firearm online
2. Wait for the firearm to arrive at your door
3. Fill out Form PD-219. Do not fill out seller portion.
4. Bring the PD-219 to registration
5. C&R Licence
6. Pay $13
7. Done

The only problem I have had was attempting to register a Yugo Tokarev. The pistol is not specifically on the C&R list, so DC said "no go" because I could not prove to their satisfaction that it was eligible.

The List: https://www.atf.gov/file/128116/download
Thanks, BlueHeeler. That's great news. I was a bit concerned that the DC rules on taking possession AFTER registration might not exempt 03 FFLs.

I guess we still have to contend with many C&R vendors not shipping to DC.
mooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 11:43 PM #20
rascal rascal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 622
rascal rascal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 622
I see we have gone from just a couple of C&R last time I looked a few years back, to 23 licences so far for 2019.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Neighborhood > Washington D.C.


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service