• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    My permit expires at the end of this month. I sent my renewal in back in December, they cashed the check on 12/24. They sent me an email on 2/15 that ended up in my spam folder stating that they needed:

1. Please submit a letter (on agency letterhead) from your security manager verifying your current level of Federal security clearance with the name and contact number of the Security Manager drafting the document.

Has anyone had any luck getting their security folks to write something like that? When I asked a couple years ago for the initial permit I was told it was a violation for them to provide that information to uncleared folks even if they are the police.

It seems to me that they may be asking for something they know I can't provide so they don't have to renew my permit.

If anyone has a work around or experience with this I would appreciate some help.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    MSP requested the same from me. I provided a printout from TWMS and the security managers name and number.
    Navy will not put anything in writing, but MSP verified clearance over the phone.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    My permit expires at the end of this month. I sent my renewal in back in December, they cashed the check on 12/24. They sent me an email on 2/15 that ended up in my spam folder stating that they needed:

1. Please submit a letter (on agency letterhead) from your security manager verifying your current level of Federal security clearance with the name and contact number of the Security Manager drafting the document.

Has anyone had any luck getting their security folks to write something like that? When I asked a couple years ago for the initial permit I was told it was a violation for them to provide that information to uncleared folks even if they are the police.

It seems to me that they may be asking for something they know I can't provide so they don't have to renew my permit.

If anyone has a work around or experience with this I would appreciate some help.

You would be correct. I know for a fact they have been using the same tactic for over 15 years now.

And,.... it works.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Whoever told you that is wrong. People are getting permits every day who have a TS clearance.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Luckily, MSP is likely reading this thread.
    Don't forget, your permit is good till you new one is issued or denied.

Boots215

NRA Endowment/Life Member
    Oct 25, 2016
    North of the Fort
    Request could be a violation of federal law:

https://www.dni.gov/index.php/ic-legal-reference-book/national-security-agency-act-of-1959

Section 6 of the National Security Agency Act of 1959 (“Section 6”), Pub. L. No. 86-36, 73 Stat. 63, 64 (codified at 50 U.S.C. § 402 note) states:

Sec. 6. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, nothing in this Act or any other law (including, but not limited to, the first section and section 2 of the Act of August 28, 1935 (5 U.S.C. 654) (repealed by Pub. L. 86-626, title I, Sec. 101, July 12, 1960, 74 Stat. 427)) shall be construed to require the disclosure of the organization or any function of the National Security Agency, or any information with respect to the activities thereof, or of the names, titles, salaries, or number of the persons employed by such agency.(b) The reporting requirements of section 1582 of title 10, United States Code, shall apply to positions established in the National Security Agency in the manner provided by section 4 of this Act.

pen

Sep 15, 2015
    Carroll county

If your FSO is unwilling to release your clearance information you may try the CVS (Clearance Verification System) with OPM. I had a FSO years ago that wouldn’t release my details for something unrelated. I contacted that office and they informed me to try and get the referral through my end and if that didn’t work they would assist. After a lengthy conversation with a SES level director regarding the issue it was taken care of. Notifying people that you have a clearance isn’t TS/SCI stuff, otherwise everyone cleared at a TS level on USAJOBS and INDEED would be in prison. Out of curiosity is your clearance in Scattered Castles or JPAS? Good luck.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

https://www.dni.gov/index.php/ic-legal-reference-book/national-security-agency-act-of-1959

Section 6 of the National Security Agency Act of 1959 (“Section 6”), Pub. L. No. 86-36, 73 Stat. 63, 64 (codified at 50 U.S.C. § 402 note) states:

Sec. 6. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, nothing in this Act or any other law (including, but not limited to, the first section and section 2 of the Act of August 28, 1935 (5 U.S.C. 654) (repealed by Pub. L. 86-626, title I, Sec. 101, July 12, 1960, 74 Stat. 427)) shall be construed to require the disclosure of the organization or any function of the National Security Agency, or any information with respect to the activities thereof, or of the names, titles, salaries, or number of the persons employed by such agency.(b) The reporting requirements of section 1582 of title 10, United States Code, shall apply to positions established in the National Security Agency in the manner provided by section 4 of this Act.

See the post below yours.

Chiefscs

Sep 27, 2017
    SoMd
    My security mgr could not print anything out of JPAS, but he did print a letter confirming what the clearance type with his CAC signature.

pen

Sep 15, 2015
    Carroll county
    My security mgr could not print anything out of JPAS, but he did print a letter confirming what the clearance type with his CAC signature.

That's all the OP needs. A verification. I never understood why FSO's and SSO's are reluctant to acknowledge clearances. "yes John Smith is cleared at the TS level", adjudicated favorably on so and so date.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I'm in PAX River. I emailed three security managers and my boss. Boss had no idea, none of the security managers responded. Asked MSP for the PAX security POC for which they call, and they wouldn't give it to me. Even the MSP is secret squirrel on secrets. Seems like a definitive position could be made official.

jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017

Yup. A letter with org letterhead will do fine.

The trooper who did my interview provided me with both an official letter on MSP letterhead to give my FSO explaining the request and what info they needed, and also an example letter to show what a good letter would look like.

Basically the letter will need to say something like

[person] has a _____ clearance, granted by [clearance adjudication authority], investigation finalized as of [date]. This clearance is current. [person] uses this clearance in their job duties. There are no known investigations or other circumstances at this time which would be likely to change/revoke [person's] cleared status.

jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017
    In fact, does anyone need to see an example? I'm assuming MSP will give you a copy, but I could post a screen shot of a sample letter if anyone needs it.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Yes - I have had luck in getting a letter from my Security manager. I'll tell you, when it comes to getting a contract, companies have NO PROBLEM advertising who has a clearance. None of this is classified. If someone is refusing to do this, it's because (in my opinion) they don't want to be involved with allowing someone to get a handgun permit.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And here's another thing I will say; if you have managers that are basically saying "I am not doing ANYTHING for you that I don't have to" then fine - it's a 2 way street. I would consider options where the management has a different attitude. I have worked in and with various organizations, the attitude and extent to which management is willing to be helpful to their their bodies in the body shop varies greatly.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

That's for NSA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom