OK, now most under appreciated pistol/revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Continuing the interesting theme...
    For me it's the Webley MKI auto which competed against the Browning 1911. Watch Ian's range video of it up on Youtube and you'll be surprised at the outcome. Sadly I've never shot mine as the value is so high I'm spooked that I'd break a 100 yr old main spring (unobtanium, no replacements available). But I have two similar 1909s in 9mm Browning. Just might try one of those.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Do any of the Nambu owners actually shoot theirs? Granted everyone has heard of it and associates it with the top 5 modern unsafe firearms ever, but if people are afraid to fire it , the "unappreciated" moniker works...

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2012
    Do any of the Nambu owners actually shoot theirs? Granted everyone has heard of it and associates it with the top 5 modern unsafe firearms ever, but if people are afraid to fire it , the "unappreciated" moniker works...

Type 94, I wouldn't shoot mine but that's more because the ones I have are late-war when quality control was, let's say, a little slack - plus they've become more appreciated (:)) in the collector world now.
    It's perfectly safe gun, you just don't want to carry it with a round in the chamber (I wouldn't carry a TT-33 chambered either and everybody loves those).
    It's just fugly.

Type 14, the danger is breaking a numbers-matched firing pin.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Being a transplanted new englander living below the mason dixon, i nominate hi standard manuf co of hamden conn for it old line of target pistols and it sentenial line of revolvers. I recall seeing the revolver in the window of a sporting goods store ( when baseball gloves and pistols were still sold in the same store) and thinking, man that’s really nice. ( never did own one).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Iver Johnson.
    Appreciated so little to the point of being of almost no value.
    Deserved?

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I'll throw in Roth-Steyr and Steyr-Hahn. Ugly and rugged. One of the first semi-auto pistols adopted by a country along with the Parabellum and C96. Not as convenient as the P08 because it had a fixed magazine in the grip loaded by strippers, but more ergonomic and weldable than the Broomhandle. The Nazis converted tens of thousands to 9mm Luger after taking over Austria.
    FYI there are a number of Nambus for sale at Simpson's Ltd. And of course, any Luger aficionado already knows Simpsons.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Any of the Frommer pistols from Hungary. Especially the 1901-1910 variants, the "stop" series, and the 37m.

I don't see them come up that often and most of your run-of-the-mill C&R guys don't know about them. They were very advanced for their time and often got shafted in favor of other pistols for political reasons.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Iver Johnson.
    Appreciated so little to the point of being of almost no value.
    Deserved?

Similarly, Harrington and Richardson pistols seem under-appreciated, even though they were quite decent, especially the target versions. I have a Sportsman 999 top-break .22LR revolver that I really enjoy shooting and seems very accurate.

JoeR

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Similarly, Harrington and Richardson pistols seem under-appreciated, even though they were quite decent, especially the target versions. I have a Sportsman 999 top-break .22LR revolver that I really enjoy shooting and seems very accurate.

JoeR

I had one of those in 1979 and the rear sight would not stay on the piece of crap. Brand new gun when I bought it. Took it to the range and after firing the first 9 shots, I opened it, reloaded, closed it and raised to fire. Where the heck did the rear sight go?!
    Looked everywhere and couldn't find it. Took it back to the LGS and he sent it back to H&R. They returned it with a new sight and said that they used locktight on the setscrews.
    Back to the range. After about 100 rounds, the rear sight was gone again. This time it disappeared before the gun was empty so I noticed it right away and this time found the rear sight broken on the ground at my feet.
    This time, H&R bought it back and that is the last one of their guns I will own.
    The sight was poorly designed and the two points that contacted the setscrews were very thin and fragile. Couldn't withstand the recoil of a 22LR!
    I would hope that they have changed the design of that sight.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Being a transplanted new englander living below the mason dixon, i nominate hi standard manuf co of hamden conn for it old line of target pistols and it sentenial line of revolvers. I recall seeing the revolver in the window of a sporting goods store ( when baseball gloves and pistols were still sold in the same store) and thinking, man that’s really nice. ( never did own one).

I'll second a Hi-Standard. I have one that was my Grandmother's bedside piece. My Grandfather bought it around the time I was born. I guess I lived up to his expectations. :)

IMG_1079cs.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    I'll throw in Roth-Steyr and Steyr-Hahn. Ugly and rugged. One of the first semi-auto pistols adopted by a country along with the Parabellum and C96. Not as convenient as the P08 because it had a fixed magazine in the grip loaded by strippers, but more ergonomic and weldable than the Broomhandle. The Nazis converted tens of thousands to 9mm Luger after taking over Austria...

Well, she slapped me when I asked her to "load my magazine" :)

I agree the Steyr-Hahn is still under-appreciated (or at least under-valued).
    The one exception does seem to be the E/L-stamped converted guns (German police), which typically bring $1k-2k.
    It's an interesting design with a rotating barrel, pretty simple internal parts, built like a tank.
    Finding a nice, unmolested original is getting a lot harder.

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
      1s.jpg
      54.4 KB · Views: 140

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    I agree the Steyr-Hahn is still under-appreciated (or at least under-valued).
    The one exception does seem to be the E/L-stamped converted guns (German police), which typically bring $1k-2k.
    It's an interesting design with a rotating barrel, pretty simple internal parts, built like a tank.
    Finding a nice, unmolested original is getting a lot harder.

I like the Steyr made pistols, Iike to find a nice M1912. Saw this video on one a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/36yZHueEZLY

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I agree that the Steyr-Hahn is very underrated. My Bavarian Contract is my favorite pistol in my collection. I’d say most Austrian pistols are also underrated, like the M1898 Gasser, Roth-Krnka, and the huge M1870 Gasser revolver.

A few others I would mention are the French Mle 1873 and Mle 1892

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I had one of those in 1979 and the rear sight would not stay on the piece of crap. Brand new gun when I bought it. Took it to the range and after firing the first 9 shots, I opened it, reloaded, closed it and raised to fire. Where the heck did the rear sight go?!
    Looked everywhere and couldn't find it. Took it back to the LGS and he sent it back to H&R. They returned it with a new sight and said that they used locktight on the setscrews.

The later ones (70's, 80's) tended to be garbage. Mine is from the 50's and built like a tank. Only issue I've had is replacing the 50yo mainspring because the plastic portion of it disintegrated with age. The replacement all-metal mainspring was inexpensive and simple to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom