• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    Rams Head has metal detectors. You need to empty your pockets into a basket and go through the detector.

They let me take an umbrella in to the Days of Darkness festival. They also have a coat check.

I live in Little Italy and walk over to Soundstage and Rams Head pretty regularly. It's not that scary.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Private venues don't have to obey MD laws.

Their house-their rules.

They state in their FAQ if it won't go through an airport, they won't allow it.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

Jun 4, 2015
    This is from their FAQ.

Airports don't allow knives.

Based on this, I'd leave it at home.

I would say there's no reason for me to ever enter such an establishment.

Local place here in Indy had (not sure if they still do) a similar policy. I left the 1911 in the car, forgot I had spare mags in my pocket. Security guy made me take them to the car. I came back, forgot I had a knife and multitool. They banded them and tagged them for me to pick up afterward at the office. I handed him the flashlight and asked if he wanted that, too. He shrugged and I guess he figured if I thought I could use it, he'd better take it. Into the bundle it went.

The college freshchicks behind us were freaking out. Apparently, they'd never seen things like that come out of a man's pants before.

Once he was done patting me down, my wife opened her jacket, thrust out her 40Ds and strained her blouse, and said, "I'm with him, do you want to pat me down, too?"

He said, "I'll just check your purse, ma'am." And glanced in it. And let her in.

As soon as we got to a table, she handed me her .357 snub underneath, since I'm the better user, leaving her with only a knife, baton and tear gas in her purse, and me with myself and steel-toed combat boots.

That was the moment I decided any dump that didn't want me armed was probably unsafe in their security theater, and if they were anticipating trouble that would make such tools problematic, it meant there was a good chance I might need them.

Never went back.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i can agree with you. But after the FAQ was posted, people kept asking "what about this? What about that?"

Take them at their word. If it won't go through an airport security check, leave it at home or don't patronize the place.

Seems pretty simple to me.

M1Abrams

Gunsmith/FFL Type 7 Manf.
    I know it's 'too little, too late' but...I never leave home without my Zebra F-402 pen. It is completely constructed of stainless steel, will pass through any detector without a second glance and functions reliably as a defensive weapon should the need arise. Aim for the soft tissue areas of neck and head. Hope this helps you in the future...
    Happy New Year!

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I would say there's no reason for me to ever enter such an establishment.

Local place here in Indy had (not sure if they still do) a similar policy. I left the 1911 in the car, forgot I had spare mags in my pocket. Security guy made me take them to the car. I came back, forgot I had a knife and multitool. They banded them and tagged them for me to pick up afterward at the office. I handed him the flashlight and asked if he wanted that, too. He shrugged and I guess he figured if I thought I could use it, he'd better take it. Into the bundle it went.

The college freshchicks behind us were freaking out. Apparently, they'd never seen things like that come out of a man's pants before.

Once he was done patting me down, my wife opened her jacket, thrust out her 40Ds and strained her blouse, and said, "I'm with him, do you want to pat me down, too?"

He said, "I'll just check your purse, ma'am." And glanced in it. And let her in.

As soon as we got to a table, she handed me her .357 snub underneath, since I'm the better user, leaving her with only a knife, baton and tear gas in her purse, and me with myself and steel-toed combat boots.

That was the moment I decided any dump that didn't want me armed was probably unsafe in their security theater, and if they were anticipating trouble that would make such tools problematic, it meant there was a good chance I might need them.

Never went back.
    great post

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you have to empty your pockets, it' may be confiscated no matter the material, unless you feel comfortable sneaking it through. Kinda like CCW in a private venue when it's posted.

Perhaps a pen would work. i dunno.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    learn to fight
    Dee Snider approves

If you have to empty your pockets, it' may be confiscated no matter the material, unless you feel comfortable sneaking it through. Kinda like CCW in a private venue when it's posted.

Perhaps a pen would work. i dunno.
    Don't even bother sir.

Jeremiah 5:21 and all that ......

Rouser

Proud Eastern Shoreman
    Jul 27, 2012
    Wicomico & Talbot Cos.
    I know you already attended that event, but I have one thought about your question. You wanted to know if they would consider your Dec as a weapon. I think you answered the question yourself when you said you wanted it in case you came upon some bad people. Your stated intent for the knife was for protection, that comment says that you already considered your Dec as a weapon, although a defensive weapon. But it is still a weapon in any discussion.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

hamguy

Mar 13, 2010
    Perry Hall, Md
    Yup, you defined it as one.

I think my biggest fear is getting kicked to the ground by some hoodlum and not having anything to defend myself.

That reasoning means that it's intended purpose would be to hurt someone and so that makes it a weapon. I hope you enjoyed the concert and left it home.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Rams Head has metal detectors. You need to empty your pockets into a basket and go through the detector.

They let me take an umbrella in to the Days of Darkness festival. They also have a coat check.

I live in Little Italy and walk over to Soundstage and Rams Head pretty regularly. It's not that scary.
    Like an actual metal detector, or a dog and pony show metal detector like at O's games? I always took my pocket knife into O's games and never set those things off...

delaneyesq

Sep 1, 2011
    ADA Applies to Private Businesses

Private venues don't have to obey MD laws.

Their house-their rules.

They state in their FAQ if it won't go through an airport, they won't allow it.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

Try running a gas station and not being ADA compliant. This federal law applies to public accommodations, such as airports and this venue. Pretty sure they know enough to let someone take their cane in.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The question asked was not about canes was it? It was about an EDC knife. Does the ADA apply to knives?

Didn’t think so

Angus

Jun 14, 2012
    Lusby, Md
    just to be safe I would leave it at home. The company that supports the venue can choose what they consider is a weapon. In P.G. County about twenty years ago one of the Judges sent a memo out stating that pen knives were not to be considered weapons. But if you take a pen knife to court they will confiscate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom