• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don't believe my Barrett recoils that much.

It's a long recoil system, like the Browning Auto 5 or the Frommer Stop.

Most locked breech self loaders are either gas operated, like an AK, or short recoil like a Glock. Long recoil is rarely seen.

If you look closely, you'll see the entire barrel and bolt recoil the full length of the cartridge before unlocking occurs. Then the barrel returns to battery while the bolt remains locked to the rear. The case is ejected after the barrel is pulled off of it. The bolt is released to return to battery only after the barrel has returned to battery.

Watch closely and you can see what's happening. In fact, you can slow down You Tube to see it more clearly. It's a fascinating system.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Most locked breech self loaders are either gas operated, like an AK, or short recoil like a Glock. Long recoil is rarely seen.

If you look closely, you'll see the entire barrel and bolt recoil the full length of the cartridge before unlocking occurs. Then the barrel returns to battery while the bolt remains locked to the rear. The case is ejected after the barrel is pulled off of it. The bolt is released to return to battery only after the barrel has returned to battery.

Watch closely and you can see what's happening. In fact, you can slow down You Tube to see it more clearly. It's a fascinating system.

Not sure I see the advantage other than points for complexity

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

No, I understand that recoil system. What I was remarking about is the visually felt recoil on the shooter himself from that system. My M99 doesn’t seem to exert the same force. Maybe my muzzle brake is more effective.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    No, I understand that recoil system. What I was remarking about is the visually felt recoil on the shooter himself from that system. My M99 doesn’t seem to exert the same force. Maybe my muzzle brake is more effective.

Long recoil is notorious for bizarre recoil impulses.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    It's like the Desert Eagle AE 50. Looks good and sounds impressive, but not much practical utility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom